Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » pricing 51 small signs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pricing 51 small signs?
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got 51 little signs (4" x 18") for a greeting card shop. simple vinyl on Sintra job, but I have no idea how to price it. how long does it take to cut and stick one or two words (each one is different)? anybody got any reference points? I'm guessing the whole job is 1 day - including the cutting, weeding, applying and checking the list twice to see what i missed. does that sound right? (the font is Benguiat Gothic Bold, so it should cut and weed quickly)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Bagaas
Visitor
Member # 3808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Bagaas   Email Jim Bagaas       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day Scooter? Just yourselve or you have others helping?
If it's just you, Remember phones ring-people
walk in,stuff like that slows you down.

--------------------
Jim Bagaas
Orlando,Fla.

Posts: 339 | From: Orlando,Fla | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't say i could DO the work in a day, just that it seemed like a day's worth of work. (an idealized day, when all you do is work, ie, 8 hours billable time. or, if i had a production worker, a full day of his time). my actual day is 2 or 3 hours of billable time, so that would make this a three day job.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double side? Single Sided-Stock sintra color? any holes for attachment?

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1539 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get asked to do small coroplast name signs 4" x 15" for a Giant Xmas card every year. It takes a surprisingly long time to do these and I'm always finding that I loose on them. I think that if the lettering is all the same size and font and color that you are probably close on the time. BUT if you have to adjust the size of the text to fit the signs it takes a lot longer. I'd guess that even if they all use the same size text you may still be underestimating the time. It takes a bit of time to center each one - doubt I could do it in that much time.
It might be worth your time to make a quick jig for placing the lettering. I used a piece of coroplast with strips glued around the perimeter of the sign and marked the center line horizontally and vertically. After you mask the lettering make a cross hair marking on the center and use a ruler to line it up with your marks on the jig. This really speeds things up.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Scooter,
I would quote it first as 1 sign for about $68. When you add up your time and effort that goes into making 1, you may find that to be cheap.
In production mode, you may find it very easy to complete 2 or 3 in the same time it takes to make one.
Anyway, 1 sheet 3 mm pvc $25 cut to size, 32 sq. ft. intermediate vinyl & tape $32, corner rounder $275.
$553. retail for materials, a days labor plus misc supplies - cleaners, rags, etc., would give me a retail price of about $27 each.
Trust me, a corner rounder will be a worth while investment on a project like this.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter:

This sounds like the kind of "mass customization" job that digital printing was invented for.

A couple of ideas:

Get someone you know to print graphics onto vinyl, apply to sintra, trim to size.

Contact Oce Display Graphics or Sericol Imaging to get a list of people who own their flatbed inkjets. Have them printed directly onto sintra, trim to size.

You will save time and the job will be more profitable.

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say that you cut out 4 slaps of vinyl with your text and add some cutting marks so that you stick on 4 panels of 18 x 48 that you then cut to size.
first set up estimate 1.5 hrs
text set up .5h
cut strip and mask 2hrs
sticking 4 pannels .5
48 cuts on sintra 2.5hrs
max of 7 hrs (maybe less)
6 yard of vinyl 6 yards of premask +mu
1 sheet of sintra+mu
a couple of blades

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jon,
I have to disagree with you on your approach with the digital printing for one reason.
If the client decides at a later date that they want to add 1 sign, it's going to cost a lot of more money to reproduce than the job's worth.
The flat bed digital printers I deal with won't touch small jobs. I beleive our main source charges a $100+ minimum.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checkers:

You're probably right about the flatbed suggestion, but you know that you could bang little graphics like that out on a Gerber EDGE (with precisely matched spot colours and repeatable 1-off accuracy) all day long...and for next to nothing in relation to what they will sell for, right?

Calling all EDGEheads!

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

(and to think some people probably hoped I would quit banging on that Gerber drum after leaving ND GRAPHICS...)

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
Tel 705-719-9209

Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Scooter, that only works out to 8.5 min each in an 8 hour day. I am thinking you can't cut the board, cut vinyl weed apply tape, apply vinyl, remove masking, etc... that fast. It's the lining up that takes some time, and is easy to under estimate.

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Gallagher   Email Chuck Gallagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Scooter,

If it were me I'd do like what Jon said except do it in vinyl. Layout it out with the right demensions and spacing and cut as many as will fit on your layout. Weed and stick to substrate. Get a straight edge and get to cutting. At least you'll have an idea of your time and then just keep adding ie: materials, installation and value.

Good luck,

Oops! I skipped over your post Elaine. Good Idea!

[ February 07, 2004, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Chuck Gallagher ]

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Pro Graphics Signs by Design
Cabool, MO
"I grew up in Letterville"

Posts: 776 | From: Cabool, Mo. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey scooter, if you need some wholsale edge prints quote for this email me, I'll try to help.

I use strictly gerber materials and foils if that helps.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Luszcz
Resident

Member # 4042

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Luszcz   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Luszcz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter, anyone with an Edge would use it for this job. Faster and better result.

However, having done thousands of signs like you mention for a number of retail chains, you can speed up the vinyl application by making an application template.

Take some scrap sintra the thickness of your sign panels. Tape two pieces on a backer board to form an inside square corner. This will be the bottom left corner of you signs.

On the bottom horizontal strip, tape a piece of thin stock to form a hinge. When the hinge is folded up against the sign substrate, the edge of the hinge should be on the text baseline.

Mark the centerline of the substrate on the hinge and on the app. tape of each strip of text.

To apply the vinyl, fold the hinge away from the substrate, peel back the backer sheet enough to tack it to the hinge. Align the centerlines. Place the substrate in the template.

When you swing the template onto the substrate, the vinyl will be in position and ready to apply without measuring or applying masking tape.

Make sure the hinge has something like scotch tape along its edge, so the round letters or descenders don't accidentally stick to it.

You'll find you can apply each line of text in a minute or so.

--------------------
Paul Luszcz
Zebra Visuals
27 Water Street
Plymouth, MA 02360
508 746-9200
paul@zebravisuals.com

Posts: 483 | From: 27 Water Street, Plymouth, MA 02360 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!