Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » Pricing Race Car Graphics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pricing Race Car Graphics
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was wondering what to charge for lettering a complete race car. He gave me a pic of his buddy's car for scale and reference. There will be close to the same amount of graphics on the new car plus the # on the roof and another sponsor and car # on the front aprox 12"x18".

$550...?

All of the lettering will be 2 color with some painted fades and a color stripe/graphic across the bottom, similar to the car below.

Any suggestions would be a great help.

-

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems really low. I've only sold racecar stuff once but I got $250/set for plan old numbers (2 doors, roof, front/rear bumper).

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sound low to me too, if your shop rate is 75 bucks an hour you have to design, cut, weed mask and apply in 7 hours. And don't forget submitting and revisions. I think the few I have done with a similar amount of work was around $1000.000-1200 Most guys want cheap or even free, or they sucker you into putting your name as a "sponser", but believe me it's not worth it.
Rick

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Amy and Rick,

Haven't done any of these yet and need to set a firm price before I commit.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my area it is hard to get good money for racecars. The going price here is around 75.00 for hand lettering and 500 for decals! I only do 1 or 2when I have the time or want the abuse.

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Baird
Resident

Member # 3495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Baird   Email Terry Baird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience with race car owners is pretty typical I think. I used to do a lot of them in the mid 1980's when I was just starting out and every owner was "on the verge of bankruptcy". I charged very little and was allowed a sponser logo. The only business that it generated was more of the same. I never made a penny. "Ah to be young and stupid again..."

--------------------
Terry Baird
Baird Signs
3484 West Lake Rd.
Canandaigua, NY 14424

Posts: 790 | From: Canandaigua, New York | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prices on race car lettering vary quite a bit around the country depending on how many "cut throats" are out there. I've seen cars with similar work go for anywhere from $225 to over $1400.I would think $550 is way to low for New Jersey. If you have to use any of the foils and fluroscents, and you will, you can tie up a couple of hundred bucks in just the material alone. While we don't have the big block mods around here, doing a similar car, the lettering, graphics and numbers can easily eat up twelve to fourteen total man hours. ( A similar painted job would take eight ) Remember most of these things are loaded with four , five and six layer vinyl.
By the way, thats a nice READABLE race car in the picture, something to shoot for when you do yours.

[ February 28, 2003, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: George Perkins ]

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4321 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again Terry, Ryan and George. I'll have something to think about on the ride home.

For the most part all of the graphics will be kinda plain jane, no more than two layers plus an airbrush highlight. (Good time to try out the vinyl inks!) I figure this will take a whole day from start to finish.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
alan@ack2.com

Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep $550 is low, and if they *don't* want you to sign your work or put your logo on the vehicle, charge them more. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good question to post. a couple of years ago, when I first got my cutter, I was hit up to do a racecar and made a deal to do it however I saw fit, as long as I was the major sponsor (put my company name, phone, website,etc...). I used a lot of chrome vinyl, which was not only expensive but a pain to cut and apply. It turned out really sharp, which I was hoping to get more work, it was wrecked in the second race, so needless to say that was an expensive lesson for me. It was all vinyl, no airbrush, or hand paintin' and I think the selling price was around $800-$1000

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Vrstal
Visitor
Member # 2271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey Vrstal   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Vrstal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One time in the early 90's I went to letter a car for a guy. (this was all paint) Got there with the plan for which sponsor was which and where everyone was supposed to go. At that time, we had agreed on some price, I can't even remember what it was... but while I was there, these guys decide to add all kinds of extra stuff. Thanks to Mom, Dad, Sis, the dog... extra PIT names, a couple of sponsors or so...

When it was time to pay the bill, I tallied up all of the extra stuff and added another couple of hundred bucks to the job. Man, was the guy ever ticked off! You know, since I was there ANYWAY and had paint and stuff and could do it better than they could, they reasoned that I could do the extra work for free.

No way, bud. Gimmie the money. He did. I never did another car for him. He raced one more year and gave it up... too expensive.

I've done a lot of cars even though I don't count on this type of work to live. It's just another thing I can do. What I have found with ALMOST all of these people is that they fart around until the last minute to get sponsors and then that is always on shakey ground. They agree to place a name on their car without any real committment from the buddy that sponsors the car.

Most are in it for the hobby.

The other funny deal lately has been the local fire inspector. Don't see him often. 3 years ago he was in here several times to "inspect". Then I find out he has a car. Needs some lettering or decals or something. I make them. Don't see the guy for 3 years. Now I need another inspection? Yeah, and he needs more lettering. So, I get inspected on an "as needed" basis, I guess. Depends on what HE needs.

--------------------
Jeff Vrstal
Main Street Signs
157 E. Main Street
Evansville, WI 53536
1-608-882-0322

Posts: 670 | From: Evansville, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Alan,

I do alot of race cars in N.J. Mostly asphalt cars. Have done a few dirt mods and late models too.
If all you have to go off is that picture, you will be very surprised to see how BIG that car actually is when you get there. Most dirt mods nowadays have sponsors on the inside of the doors and interior panels too. I would shoot for $800 - $900 easily as a price to start from, adding to it as they add names/ads. If the guy is a friend, then you will have to figure what you want to charge.

Here is a site you can see some better pics of the cars and some of the work that is done on them, it might give you a better idea of the size and panel designs. The link below is in "frames", so just click on "2002" in left frame for most recent pics , and then click on driver names for pics of cars.

DIRT Motorsports.com Photos

Good luck, and feel free to ask if you need more info!

MC

[ March 03, 2003, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Mike Clayton Graphics ]

--------------------
Mike Clayton
M C Grafix Custom Lettering
New Jersey (again)

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As folks have already said things (and prices) vary from region to region. Having said that, I think I'd be hard pressed to get that kind of money ($800-$1200) from the local racers in South Miss. I've been lettering cars for over 15yrs. and have done some of the biggers boys and the local saturday night IMCA and late model guys as well. Most all are "POOR" by the time that get around to me.

I only letter cars for people that I like and who allow me complete control. I do this because I'm a fan of racing and will not put up with a lot of BS. Over the years I've gotten pretty fast at lettering race cars and that car would take about 6 hours if I could work without interuption. Of course there are always interuptions. Cost... I usually use calendered vinyl on dirt cars because of the life of the bodies. $500 roughly.

If you can get more, for goodness sake do it. The cost of living here is much less than many other places and in the long run that may equal things out. If this is your first car plan on taking a lot longer and time is money. Most of all, if you don't enjoy racing run from this job. Racers are not like other customers and can be demanding and did I mention "POOR". If you do take on this try ro have fun and maybe make it a weekend project. It's a great chance to play with new ideas and get paid for it. And if you get paid $1200 you'd enjoy it even more.

On another note...
$75 an hour? I'm one of or maybe the highest price guy in the area for design work and signage but I certainly don't bring in $150,000.00 a year. More like $94,000. Oh well, maybe I messed up the math.

Wayne

--------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the different responses and valuable insights. Glad I asked! You all saved me some valuable time. After speaking with the customer we're working on a self applied sticker pack to fit his budget. (Good call Amy!) Spent the exra time with the kids. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
alan@ack2.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!