Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » bidding a large wall job -- what do i need to ask?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bidding a large wall job -- what do i need to ask?
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
somebody called me over the weekend to paint "their logo on the side of their building". i said, how large do you want the logo?" and he said "about 25' x 25'". And he wants some other signage on the front of the building. And they actually have two logos (its a "family" of businesses).

It is a freshly painted 3-story building. I know that i'm going to need to rent scaffoldiing or a scissor lift (which is better?), and i'll add that cost on top of my bid. the sign pricing guide suggests $4 to $5/sq foot for wall painting. Then it says another 65 cents/sq.foot for undercoating. Do i need to undercoat it if its a freshly painted building? (southwestern sage green building).

are there any other special things i need to ask or plan for, other than buckets and buckets of bulletin paint and sign enamel?

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the city allow a 25' logo painted on the building? (Most cities do not) If so, is a permit needed? If they want it painted without city approval, who will be liable if it needs to be removed. Do you have the license to do this type of work? if not, who will get the permit, the insurance?, Cal-Osha safety requirements? I am only assuming that you do not have a California Contractors License.

Rick

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter, 2 years ago I redid a building with a general contractor that I own shares in downtown. He insisted that we use 2 scissor lifts. By the end of the project we had 8 rented. They are way better than scafolding. Drywallers use them, carpenters use them, stucco guys use 'em, you can too! They are cheaper here to rent for a week than per day. That's my 1 cents worth, have fun.

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scooter, 2 years ago I redid a building with a general contractor that I own shares in downtown. He insisted that we use 2 scissor lifts. By the end of the project we had 8 rented. They are way better than scafolding. Drywallers use them, carpenters use them, stucco guys use 'em, you can too! They are cheaper here to rent for a week than per day. That's my 1 cents worth, good luck.

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scooter,

I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents here, but I'm curious about something. You said you would need buckets of bulletin paint and sign enamel. I've never used bulletin paint, because I've always read here that it is for cheaper/temporary type work. My guess is that if you are doing a permanent mural that you should use a good quality latex paint, or straight one shot (I've heard them both debated here, and guys use both) I've never heard anyone say they use bulletin enamel.

But what the hell do I know [Wink]

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the feedback --

and i got the job. (its a re-paint of some previous signs, so i'm not worried about the permits issue... especially in the neighborhood its in. they're just happy to see a business that keeps its building painted)

i'll check on the bulletin vs lettering paint.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PKing
Deceased

Member # 337

Icon 6 posted      Profile for PKing         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I would rent a "knuckle boom" or articulating lift.(which ever they decide to call it.
This will be more helpful than scaffolding.
The difference between bullentin and lettering are two fold.
Bullentin is used for larger coverage areas ie.
"Bullentin Boards"
Lettering for the smaller.
hopr this helps

--------------------
PKing is
Pat King
The Professor of
SIGNOLOGY

Posts: 3113 | From: Pompano Beach, FL. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!