Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » how long does it take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long does it take?
Todd Swain
Visitor
Member # 3111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Swain   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Swain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering how long it takes you all to do a simple 18"x24" Fiber Brite blank 2 sided with first color 100% coverage and second color 50% coverage? From start to finish. Setup, cut, weed and placing vinyl on sign blank.

Here is a picture of the design, nothing fancy.

-

Thanks for your help.
Todd

[ July 31, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Todd Swain ]

--------------------
Swain's Decals & Vinyl Lettering
Duncannon, PA
717-834-9311
SwainsDecals@aol.com

Posts: 23 | From: PA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Swain
Visitor
Member # 3111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Swain   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Swain   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok Now if you cold tell me a price you would charge for this type of sign too.

I used a 18"x24" piece of fiber brite for the substrate and 5 year vinyl. The sign I did was the white sign.

I put all this info in the Estimate Software and it gave me a price of around $55.00 for the sign with 100% profit on the fiber brite and 300% on the vinyl. It told me I should be able to do this sign in 20 minutes. Does this time seem to be right?

Being new to the business I know I am a little slow at puting together the signs but it took me about 1 hour from start to finish.

Any help or suggestion would be great!

Todd

[ July 31, 2002, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Todd Swain ]

--------------------
Duncannon, PA
717-834-9311
SwainsDecals@aol.com

Posts: 23 | From: PA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Todd,

I don't think you are far off the mark on your price, although I use a different formula to arrive at a price. Also, I'm not the fastest gun in the west, even though I have been at this a long time. And as old as I am, I don't hurry for God, man, or beastie.

Fiberbrite has quite a price spread depending on the thickness, so that has to be taken into account. Anyway, I just mark up the FB 50% but I use a variation on Dave Grundy's formula on the vinyl. I mark that up by a factor of 6, add the FB, and that is it. The markups cover the time involved.

Dave uses a higher number when marking up the vinyl---What I do is take into account the exchange rate between US and Canadian currency.

Hope you find this helps.

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is silver brite? Depending on what it is determines how long to cut it to size...
Estimate: seems to underestimate small sign size times, for me anyway... I think that might be addressed in a new version. Estimate seems to work on sq in costs, and anything more complicated will probably invole alogrorithyms (I spelled that wrong) so there will be lots of programming involved. Estimate seems to be the best on the market right now, and I think it'll just get better. If the substrate requires a table or panel saw then it would take me an hour. I hope this question gets lots of answers...

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Brian,

Fiber brite, not silver brite. This is a sheet plastic material that has shreds of fiberglass embedded during the manufacturing process. It comes in thicknesses of .045, .095,and .135 inch.
At one time, I think there were one or two heavier weights available. Supposed to be available in colors, but my local supplier only carries it in white. Rugged stuff for its thickness, takes paint well, easily cut with a saber or table saw, but wear goggles-- the chips do fly. Have found it to be a good substitute for MDO, but pricier on a square foot basis. Payback is less time spent in panel prep.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Swain
Visitor
Member # 3111

I Just wanted to let you know that I purched the panel already cut to the 18"x24". So dont add any time for cutting the panel. Just doing the vinyl on a already made sign panel.

Thanks

Todd

--------------------
Duncannon, PA
717-834-9311
SwainsDecals@aol.com

ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 10 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i don't know how long it would take me, and i don't use Estimate... but my price would be about $69. That price comes from the printed sign estimating guide (2001 edition) for the "PVC" and "Acryllic" pages. Price should probably be a little higher because of the background color.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill;
just great, another substrate I can ask the wholesalers about... leading to a strengthing of their opinion that we should change our name from CR Signs to FRINGE GRAPHICS! I think they now argue about who has to take our order calls...

Anyone:
More opinions on the TIME would be nice :-)

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Foley
Visitor
Member # 2683

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pat Foley   Email Pat Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!
For two sided 18" x 24" on .040 aluminum: $68.00

I'd have to compute the difference in the aluminum cost per sq ft., etc to arrive at a price for the Fiberbrite. (BTW sounds like a good product.)

Time: If the artwork was already done, and all I needed to do was cut, weed, mask, measure, clean and apply, then an hour should be in the ball park, without the use of a Weber, and not rushing.

Must be the time for beauty shops... been doing them over here too!

--------------------
Pat Foley
Foley Signs
35812 Wells Road
Coarsegold CA 93614
foleys@sierratel.com
(559) 642-6264

Posts: 73 | From: Coarsegold, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!