Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » I just don't like it

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just don't like it
Pat Foley
Visitor
Member # 2683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Foley   Email Pat Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ya'll!
I think I've looked at this too long and just don't see it anymore! I'm trying too hard!
I would appreciate any ideas. It's a 4' x 8' aluminum. They've asked for the 'Hall for Rent' to be the big attraction and 'Bingo' secondary. Burgandy is the only color they are sure of and said other colors are my choice. It's 250' to 300' feet from the highway that they want it seen from.
They're really cool people and I'd like to go the extra yard and make it really nice.
Thanks!  -

--------------------
Pat Foley
Foley Signs
35812 Wells Road
Coarsegold CA 93614
foleys@sierratel.com
(559) 642-6264

Posts: 73 | From: Coarsegold, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Pat,
This is a tough one where I would suggest to the client some modification to the "logo" to better fit the application.
Here's my idea with the modified logo:
 -
By no means is it perfect but it will probably help you think a little different.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pat,

I am no good at posting pictures of any kind, so, bear with me and try to visualize what I am trying to say.

Too wordy. Once you get more than about 5 words on a roadside sign, it can barely be read. Try this-- reduce the size of "FOR" between HALL and RENT. Change to BINGO then every Monday 6:30pm

On the last line, get rid of "for information call" and change to "info and #s only."

Put all this on Brian's layout, and see what you think.

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pat.....just do the HALL FOR RENT in reverse cut burgundy or blue! Looks good.....
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,

Just some food for thought, and because it hasn’t been mentioned to date; does it have to be 4’x 8’or can it be 8’ x 4’? That in and of itself may help draw additional attention to it depending on your area. Plus, it gives you a fresh perspective to work with.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Lennig
Resident

Member # 2455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Lennig   Author's Homepage   Email John Lennig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you resricted to 4x8?

I'm thinking 300' is "out of range" for a 4x8.
Anything bigger would "get them results, which is what they're after, right"

IMHO

John/BTG

--------------------
John Lennig / Big Top Sign Arts
5668 Ewart Street, Burnaby,
British Columbia, Canada
bigtopya@hotmail.com

Posts: 2184 | From: Burnaby, British Columbia,Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat:
if you go by the recently posted visibility scale, you need the letters to be 24" tall for max impact at 240 feet.
We do lots of 2X7.5 ft. highway and city signs, they are about 6 to 10 ft. from road. Best results for highway at that distance is 10" or more. you are using a substrate that is the same length and only twice the height. It appears a 4X8 at that distance is no-go.
Upsell dude! cheers brian
 -

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Foley
Visitor
Member # 2683

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pat Foley   Email Pat Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all! Some cool ideas here. Checkers, there is no logo. My friend was visiting and said it looked empty there, to add that(?)
It doesn't even need to say 'Coarsegold Community Center', just 'Hall for Rent, phone numbers, Bingo, day and time.
Yeah, cut those words down! Thanks... so five words is the key word here!
I wanted to play with that 8' x 4' too, but they are mounting this on a 4' chain link fence, with no back support other than the fence top rail and one fence post in the center. Unfortunately, their budget is small. They started wanting two signs and when they found out the cost, they opted for one.
Burgandy and any other colors I choose... that's where the blue comes from. I heard someone say they didn't like green, hummmm?
A reverse panel... now that's an idea!
Thanks for the thinking food... I'm gonna go play and I'll get back in a little bit. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Pat Foley
Foley Signs
35812 Wells Road
Coarsegold CA 93614
foleys@sierratel.com
(559) 642-6264

Posts: 73 | From: Coarsegold, CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pat,

Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner but I took the liberty of checking the optimal viewing distance of the rendering you don't like. You stated that, at a minimum, it would be viewed from a distance of 250'. By scaling it down, I was able to observe the greatest viewing distances for each line within my limited distance away from the monitor.

The only lines visible at 250' are the "HALL FOR RENT" & "BINGO". Everything else would either be a blur or nothing. Here are the results. CCC=72'; oval=96'; Hall...=264'; info & #'s= 96';
Bingo=264'; Every Monday=120'.

So, I see you've taken the others' advice already so I really don't have much to add but those results. Good Luck.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Foley
Visitor
Member # 2683

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Pat Foley   Email Pat Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I do like this one better, sort of a no frills thing, but my enthusiasm is somewhat lacking. I've had the "Hall For Rent" diagonal, circled, diamoned and anything else I can think of.
That measurement tool sure sounds great! The size here is certainly better.
So what da'ya think?

Hey, Bill, that sure is a cute baby... ah, probably gonna be an artist, huh?

-

--------------------
Pat Foley
Foley Signs
35812 Wells Road
Coarsegold CA 93614
foleys@sierratel.com
(559) 642-6264

Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Pat,

This is my take on your sign layouts.

On the first one, I made it an upright format to bring more attention to the copy. The vertical format allows taller letters than a horizontal one could.

-

This one is a little more traditional. I chose to make this layout along the lines of two side-by-side signs rather than stretch the copy across in two lines. I think that it gives the design more seperation.

I am not sure what happened with the phone numbers but I bet I forgot to convert it to curves before exporting. Shame on me! Oooops!

-

I used the same component groups in both layouts but you can see what a tweak here and there can do.

Thanks for letting me share! I also thank Dave Wright for posting this for me while I learn to use my own posting site.

Have a great one!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat,

There's no special software involved in determining distance ratios. (if you were referring to my input)

You only need your design software, a ruler, a tape measure, a calculator & something to write with & on.

As an example, let's use your latest remake & Bruce's 2nd. I opened both in Photopaint & put 'm side by side at approximately the same
size. I measured the height of about 1.5" which will = 48" on real sign. This gives you a ratio of 1:32. You multiply the distance away from the monitor in feet times(x) 32 = viewing distance.
In this example, most of Bruce's design is visible from 300'. Only the day was less. I didn't include the phone # as Bruce acknowledged
its non-existence. And again, only the Hall for rent & Bingo are visible on yours. You might want to stay clear of that fancy minor copy (font styles) as it just aint gonna work.

Good luck,

[ May 12, 2002, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Bill Cosharek ]

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Cordova
Visitor
Member # 220

Icon 16 posted      Profile for John Cordova   Email John Cordova   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce comes thru again!! I like your second one Bruce. They both look great. To the point.

--------------------
John Cordova
Gitano Design Studio
Albuquerque, NM

Posts: 268 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce, I bet you can recite passages out of Mastering Layout. I can't believe how often I forget all I've read when, I sit down to design something. How do you keep it in mind for instant recall?

[ May 13, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Foley
Visitor
Member # 2683

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Pat Foley   Email Pat Foley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy!
Yes, Bill, I was thinking you did the distance/viewing thing with a program. I 'spose I forget that not everything is done by computer or calculator. Thanks for the formula!

Thank you Dave Wright for posting Dr Cas' fun & games. Don't yeah just get a kick out of the way he 'plays'?

And, for you Dr Cas, I have to ask what Santo has, how do you keep all for instant recall?

Thanks again to all of you for the help!

--------------------
Pat Foley
Foley Signs
35812 Wells Road
Coarsegold CA 93614
foleys@sierratel.com
(559) 642-6264

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!