Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » SIGNGOLD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SIGNGOLD
Brian Caissie
Visitor
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Caissie   Email Brian Caissie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a little help, I have estimate, but I can't seem to justify to pricing to myself. I have all vinyls 100% markup. I have little overhead. I don't how to figure out the market level here in massachusetts. I charge $35.00/hr design, and $25.00 production. I had to match 2 doors of a tractor that rolled over, buy the font and adjust kerning. the black is 28.304 x 13.451, and the signgold is 27.788 x 11.057. I don't want to be too high or that guy in his basement charging too little either. What would you charge?
Market?

Thanks,
Brian Caissie

--------------------
BRIAN CAISSIE

7 Dewey St.
Unit 11
Natick, Ma 01760

Posts: 99 | From: Natick, Ma | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Barrow
Deceased

Member # 576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tim Barrow   Email Tim Barrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first thing I would do is add at least 50% to my hourly rates,if not double them depending upon the local market. My 1991 book hourly rate is $50. It hasn't gone up all that much in ten years mind you but if you call a local plumber or electrician I'll gamble they get about that,or more. If you want the public to perceive you as a professional then you should charge as one would. In the long run if you do good work you will for one reason or another retain a reputation. It can be for doing good work cheap or for doing good work but charging accordingly.If the next customer who asks "who did that sign?" to one of your past customers they are gonna tell them something. If its that you do good work and you have low prices,then it will not meet their expectations when you want to charge a premium price for your efforts and create problems for you.

[ May 06, 2002, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: timi NC ]

--------------------
fly low...timi/NC is,
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC

Posts: 2224 | From: Winston-Salem,NC,USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian,

Are you a home based operation or do you have storefront one?

The reason why I ask that is because of your rate ($35/$25) seems awfully low. The cost of living in Mass. is much higher there than mine is in NC. If you are a homebased shop and you are using EstiMate, you should adjust your overhead as if you had a regular storefront shop and you are paying rent/mortgage.

For what its worth, using SignGold like that in my area would go for a minimum of $250.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Caissie
Visitor
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Caissie   Email Brian Caissie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys,
(Tim and Glen)
I adjusted hourly rates, and I like the numbers a little better. I understand what your saying Tim about a borderline reputation. I must have low self esteam or something. I'm getting more confident every day I check out this board! It's great to have some expert help! Thanks a million!!!

Brian Caissie

--------------------
BRIAN CAISSIE

7 Dewey St.
Unit 11
Natick, Ma 01760

Posts: 99 | From: Natick, Ma | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brian..Just a humble suggestion..What kind of image comes to mind if you see someone advertising "Dentistry on the Side" or "Plumbing on the Side"?

I am not trying to be a wise-ass but asking a legitimate question.

As far as pricing the job you have pictured..The black is inexpensive... the Signgold is the better part of 2 yards of 15" material for both doors. I would have charged about $400 Canadian ( about $265 US?)

By the way..I would have done my own modification of Humanist on the tops of the letters if necessary, or if it was a complete re lettering I wouldn't have worried about it..the customer wouldn't notice that the tops of the letters didn't have the same "curve/indent" that the originals did. You have to remember that customers, generally, are not as "picky" as we are. As long as the overall "look" is the same they are happy. (Corporate logos being the exception!)

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8880 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent point, Dave. You are absolutely right.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i work out of my home too, and my prices are consistent with shops paying a LOT more for storefront space.

my hourly is $60 for design and production. my signs are at least equal to the work produced by the franchise shops (and the designs are probably better), so the prices are at least equal, too. why should i charge less just because i pay less rent? if i really WANT a job i can afford to lower the price if i have to, but that's not my starting offer.

Low overhead is no reason to lower prices -- its the reason to increase profits! (or, in my case, to work fewer hours)

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Kelly
Visitor
Member # 2037

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mike Kelly   Email Mike Kelly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of good points here Brian. There is no reason why you shouldn't be getting the same money as the sign shop down the street. On a job like this truck, without SignGold, I would charge between $140 and $180. With SignGold, I double it.

--------------------
Mike"Spud"Kelly
zipperhead design
Westminster, MA

Posts: 367 | From: Westminster, MA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!