Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Design/Cost Workshop » 4 x 15' backlit face change

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 x 15' backlit face change
Shawn Schrader
Visitor
Member # 2152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shawn Schrader   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Schrader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm replacing a face in a 4 x 15' light box. The customer wants a white or yellow background. Two color letters to be about 24" high. What king of price do you give for a brand new face? Thanks

[ April 11, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Shawn Schrader ]

--------------------
Shawn Schrader
Graphic Zone
Whitehall, PA
shawnmmx@enter.net

Posts: 9 | From: Whitehall, PA 18052 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shawn;when I buy new plastic I double the cost then add my other expences-like labour,design vinyl or paint,then markup,install.Hope I could be some help. [Smile]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i price things according to the printed Sign Contractors pricing guides. at first i thought they were too high... now i'm getting about 90% of their price, and i expect i'll be close to matching them in about a year. (i bring the book with me to see clients -- they see the prices "in the book" and they have more confidence that i'm not just pulling numbers of of the air).

anyway, for a Plastic Face, illuminated sign, they suggest $20 to $27/sq.ft. Your 4' x 15" is 5 sq feet -- so that's $100 for a "simple 1 color letters" and $135 for 2 color letters with outlines and shadows. they also suggest a MINIMUM charge of $120, so your range is $120 to $135.

that price is from the 2001 book and it does NOT include installation. (they assume you'll be spraying onto the backside of 3/16" clear acyrilic).

you can price it with the "non-illuminated" price, which is just cut vinyl slapped onto 1/8" white acrylic, and that price range is about $104 to $148.

figure $40 to $60 for the installation ($37.50 is their suggested minimum for a trip charge). I'd use the $60 because i'd want to remove the old face before i ordered the new one - to make sure the new one is exactly the same size. if you're off by 1/8" the face might pop out too easily or crack.

hope that helps.

[ April 11, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: ScooterX ]

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoops - you wrote 15 INCHES in the message (and 15 FEET in the title) --

here are the prices for a 60 square foot sign:

anyway, for a Plastic Face, illuminated sign, they suggest $18.50/sq.ft. Your 4 x 15 is 60 sq feet -- so that's 1110 for a "simple 1 color letters" and $1440 for 2 color letters with outlines and shadows.

that price is from the 2001 book and it does NOT include installation. (they assume you'll be spraying onto the backside of 3/16 clear acyrilic).

you can price it with the "non-illuminated" price, which is just cut vinyl slapped onto 3/16" white acrylic, and that price range is about $885 to $1080.

illuminated signs are expensive to own and maintain, require permits, etc, so the sign FACE should be equally expensive (and well designed). at the least, you're using better materials (high performance translucent or transparent vinyl and sign-grade acrylic that wont bend and can take the heat from the lamps).

installation will be more complex, i imagine.

hope that helps.

[ April 11, 2002, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: ScooterX ]

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, like, pretend it's a business... then simply consider a few little pionts:
~High or medium performance translucent vinyl?
~Thickness of face?
~acrylic or lexan?
~Permits?
~Scafolding, scissor-lift or bucket truck?
~Can interior cleanup?
~Transformer replacment?
~Bulb replacement?
~Paint? Paint cleanup time.
~2 or 1 man job?
~Can exterior paint touch-up?
~Complexity of layout?
~Time already spent with customer?
~Labor costs?
~freight on supplies?
Double check which supplier is charging what for the supplies (remebering they have different levels of pricing)
Shop costs (Lease lights equip. ins. legal etc.)
Depending on your initial talent at negotiating all the above costs, you now have your true costs, which could be higher or lower than the next guy bidding on the same job. A book won't figure THAT out. A "Rule of Thumb" won't figure that out. Put your required markups on.

Now "Bob's your Uncle" dude.
ps. if there is extra time, it's fun to chase people up and down the sidewalk on the scissor-lift!

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!