Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Need ideas for business card background

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need ideas for business card background
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had my business card design ready for awhile now, except for the background. Right now, as you can see below, it is a solid color, and since these are getting printed full color, I may as well utilize it. Anyone have any good ideas about a type of texture, colors, striping, whatever that would look good as a background? Also, any other comments and critiques are welcomed.

I am going to create a bit more simplifed version of this logo for use for more corporate type uses as well.

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Ursta
Visitor
Member # 1738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Ursta   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Ursta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler,
My new business cards are set up with a picture of my store front faded into my truck as a transparency background (very light in texture) . Just an idea for you. They are coming along pretty good. Ill post pics when i finish.

I personally like what you have now... very bold and attention grabbing! (I would change the logos lettering design etc at the bottom to white or the gray though... easier to read on the burgundy)

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Ursta ]

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Ryan Ursta ]

--------------------
Ryan Ursta
Ursta Graphics
116 B North Mercer Avenue
Sharpsville Pa. 16150
Call: 724•962•2206
"We make YOU look good"

Known as "Ugraph" on mirc

Posts: 558 | From: Sharpsville Pa. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler,
Dont ya just hate designing stuff for yourself(never seems good enough)? Considering all you have going on with the text on that design,I think I'd leave the background alone so it does'nt compete with what you already have, which is a really nice design. It looks great as is!

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 397 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joel/JL Sign Graphics
unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tyler,

Your standing tall with what you got now. Your layout and design looks great on the burgundy as it is now. I agree with David on the color change on your secondary copy.

The most difficult thing is designing your own logo that will stand the test of time and our own changing tastes. Maybe that why I don't have one yet myself. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Good Luck,

Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why you couldn't give that card to more corporate clients.
The only thing (other than the dark copy)is the white outline around the logos outline. IMO it makes the copy fight the panel it's on. I like the way black makes light text pop off maroon.
Maybe a faded texture for the back ... maybe not.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tyler,

Looks good as is.
However, I do have one suggestion.
A slight cast shadow on the word "above" would
give the illusion of it actually hovering slightly above the other words.

Whaddaya think?
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies, everyone.. I just sent in the order, I stayed with the solid maroon background. The logo itself does have alot going on (hopefully not too much!), so it makes sense to leave the background plain. Nettie, I played around with a drop shadow under 'above' before, but it just didnt look quite right, so I decided to forget it. Here is the back of the card, which is just printed in grayscale.

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
who'd ya use ta print em?

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use postcard press. I ftp the files to em, fax them an order form, and get the cards approximately a week later, ups. with the full color front, one color back, 2000 cards plus shipping was $105 total.

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!