Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » nifty 3D work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nifty 3D work
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've recently gotten back into playing with 3D Graphics and Animation and I never had more fun sitting at a computer working on graphics! It's not for the faint of heart though, takes ALOT more time than any other computer graphics out there but the results are SO cool.

Here's a shot I rendered last night.. it's a chrome plated skull.

I actually found the 3D Model of the skull online last night but it was missing the jaw and lower teeth.. so, I made them myself.
I assigned the chrome effects to the model, rendered it and... well... the image speaks for itsself.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the 3d graphics myself, Mike.
What program did you use?
I have Bryce 3d.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice effect! My son thought it was awesome. But I think I might like something other than a 'skull head'
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I use 3D Studio MAX. It's some pretty slick stuff. It'll do anything from modeling to animation for movies and photorealistic rendering.

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seen a segment on TechTv on how they did "Lord of the Rings". They use a program called Maya.
It does excellent 3D and animation, but the best part is they are going to offer it free to the general public in February.
It won't generate the files necessary for real production work, but will be able to save 3d work etc. for the rest of us.

By the way, the program runs $7,500 though I imagine warez sites distribute it freely.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David,

Yep, Maya kicks major butt too, I've used that in the past as well when I was in school.

I think they might be discontinuing Maya and start marketing another modeling program.. or they're going to water down the program's capabilities and offer it freely, then sell expansion packages to make it more useful.

**** EDIT*****

Oops, I was wrong.. it's the unrestricted version but they are disabling the use of 3rd party plug-ins, the file formats are not compatible with the regular version, and it creates a watermark on the output. Here's the press release:

COMING FEBRUARY 2002

Alias|Wavefront is proud to announce a new way to make learning 3D graphics more accessible through the Maya Personal Learning Edition

A new way to learn Maya that's fun, fast and free!*
Maya Personal Learning Edition grants anyone with the desire to learn more about Maya, or 3D computer graphics in general, a seat of Maya for non-commercial use - registration renewable yearly.** Those using the Personal Learning Edition will have unrestricted access to the full feature set of Maya Complete including NURBS modeling, animation, inverse kinematics, Maya Artisan, Maya Paint Effects, particles, dynamics and Maya’s advanced rendering capabilities. The Maya Personal Learning Edition restricts users to non-commercial applications through the display of a watermark on images as well as through the use of a special non-commercial file format. Maya Personal Learning Edition cannot be used with industry-standard plug-ins.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Mike Pipes ]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone wants to see how far you can push 3dStudioMAX (both design wise and animation wise) check out :

www.trippingtherift.com

It's a 20mb movie file, but damn entertaining

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!