Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Check this out..............

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Check this out..............
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished this Demo Panel today......Even though it is SNOWING HERE AT THE BEACH !!!!!!!

It is painted on a flat sheet of Aluminium.....

Check out the EVENTS page on this BOARD.

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: Arvil Shep' Shepherd ]

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you posted the wrong picture, Arvil. All I see is an old cabinet door.

Simply amazing, I don't know how you do it

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's incredible Shep!

You're Awesome!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shep

That is amazing, well done...........tell me though,why would you not just use wood. Your process must be much more expensive.......no?

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Pendragon Signs & Graphics
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

if it's not one thing.....it's two things

Posts: 261 | From: Yellowknife, NT, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, ha ha ha ha ha ......Wood ?????????
........You are kidding ????? Right ???????
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 5 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shep

yes wood, that stuff you get from trees. Many of us use it to make signs, houses and stuff.

Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I'm not stupid.

I asked you a sincere question in all earnest?

I even complimented you on your work, and you smite me with my own ignorance......why play this game?..........why not just answer the question?

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Posts: 261 | From: Yellowknife, NT, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Smith
Resident

Member # 1308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Smith   Email John Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Robson, Shep is merely demonstrating a technique of a faux finish on a substrate. This type of art is in very high demand in the antique automobile industry !!! He is not intending on doing someones kitchen with aluminum faux painted doors !
Now, my dos centavos here..... AWESOME... simply AWESOME Shep !!!!! I am really looking forward to having you at the Spring Fling 2002, A Gathering of Craftsmen in March !! Keep warm, Amigo!

--------------------
John Smith
Kings Bay Signs (Retired)
Kissimmee, Florida

Posts: 816 | From: Central Florida - The Sunshine State | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 3 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John/Shep

Thank you for your very informative answer……….I had no idea that this was the intended use for such fine work.

Over the past few days many people here have expresses their distaste for answers to question which are rhetorical, undermining, opinionated, distasteful, rude and/or inappropriate. I felt as those I was being undermined. Perhaps I’m some what sensitive.

Since you have cleared this up and I now have a better understanding, I will certainly give Shep the benefit of the doubt, and apologize for my abrasive rebuttal.

Perhaps I should take heed to an earlier post titled “T-H-I-N-K- about what you’re saying”

My sincere apology

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

John,
Sorry if I upset you.....
My post clearly stated a "DEMO PANEL"...
Maybe it is me that is dense.......I thought you were kidding.....
You see I have posted several photos concerning the "Woodgraining Process" on this Board over the past several months.......When you have time check out my web site and you will see some of the different things I do to make a living.
Also note the original post made reference to the Events column on this Board......( This would have explained a lot to you.....)

Art by Shep

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez Shep, that is uncanny. Man, what a technique you have for this, among other things. I coulda swore this was real. Very, very, nice.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Thanks everyone for your comments........
This is a close up of the "Door" Panel....

I will add more clear coats..........when it quits SNOWING......

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shep, I think you just took that door off my old granny's favorite shif-a-robe. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.
As usual, I'm in awe of this technique and your talents.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Santo,
This is what it really looked like before I started to work on it.........NOT !!!!!

he he he he ......you think that I might just have too much time on my hands..so to speak ?????????
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shep buddy,
now that is a faux wood finish at it's best!!!
you got ta show me how to do that man!!!

mark

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delzell
Visitor
Member # 1965

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Delzell         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shep,
You go ahead and play around. I am checking out your painting style there. Nice work.
Debbie

--------------------
Debbie

Posts: 674 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 7 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am more impressed with your ability to make that wood door look like a piece of aluminium <<<<<<< see this little guy? he and his friends are at the bottom of the page all you gotta do is: after a joke or something meant to be funny, just click on the little dude that best reflects your demeanor when replying
I get upset when a guy like John is misunerstood because his tone could not be reflected in his post
because even though I am a funny guy doesnt mean we all can be

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ken,
I have been sanding and polishing on that old door all afternoon, damn I am tired.......
Now what am I gonna do ?

I guess I will just have to woodgrain the darn thing again.

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
captain ken

You make a good point ……….I was just saying to my wife, that the written word is often a difficult medium to communicate in………..it lacks inflection. I hadn’t thought of it before, but, yes those little icon faces probably can help us communicate better………..they add a little spice to the bland word.

initially I was
then & and then , but now I'm &

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: John Martin Robson ]

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
You are completely right Sometimes I am guilty of answering a post with a " Tounge in Cheek " response..and it is taken wrong...because it is hard to portray this in the "Written Word "

I too seem to take things "Personal " sometimes.
I guess we all need to lighten up a little.
Have a Happy New Year
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freinds,
There are many different points of view. There are many different was to express a thought. I don't think (I tried to use them all, but was told that eight was the limit) express much of the human spectrum of emotion.
I myself answered Shep's post with a remark that I hope was not taken wrong. I can see by Shep's many post a joy for what he does. I have answered in similar fashion to Shep's postings and, had he replied in a good-natured fashion.
I will never get tired of looking at the excellent work on display on the board. I also enjoy the banter among friends as long as that's what it is.
As for the negative comments and re-hashing of adgenda in a different post, I hope you join with me in the spirit of the board and just--- Give em the Brush.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Santo,
I took your comment as a compliment..
(belive it or not I know what a "shif-a-robe" is.)

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no doubt you would.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Spring, TX

Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing to remember is that we are all mates here, all on the same side.

Great work shep, Faux finish is fun, but you are exeptional.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kookaburra
Visitor
Member # 254

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Kookaburra   Author's Homepage   Email Kookaburra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shep! Shep! The Spring Fling thing.. that's the meet in Georgia, isn't it? Can you teach me how to do that? Or perhaps I could just stand behind you, and check out your technique.. It's allot easier to learn if you even just have someone to watch doing it.. eg, marbling, woodgraining... handlettering, pinstriping, etc.. I'd love to just sit back and watch you paint. *grin* Opps.. Í forgot the invasion of smileys...

--------------------
From Kat Johnston (previously Katie Wright, for those who can remember that far back)

Posts: 530 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Languein
Visitor
Member # 319

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Mike Languein         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that seems to go without mention in these wood graining posts of late - is the uses for it - Like John says if you want a wood board to paint on why not go get one at the lumber yard? Sure, you would - and you can pick up any kind of wood you like from the cheapest Hemlock Fir to any of the exotics - but what if you want the door to your den done in Rosewood, or Thuja Burl. Wanna get a price on that? Or panelling the whole room in Quartered Light Oak. Graining has traditionally been done in homes for just this purpose - and it's been sign painters that did the work - the builders will use cheaper woods & materials and have a grainer make it LOOK like a better grade of stuff. If you have furniture made of all different finishes and want it all to match - pick a graining technique and match it up.

What about the dashboard on an antique car? You can carve one - or you can grain one - it's about the only 2 ways to get it done on all those curved surfaces. You can't just glue on vinyl wood-look contact paper. Shep gets paid well to grain a dash - I can't carve worth a darn, but imagine the cost of having one done by a sculptor. I am a painter, though...it's within my reach.

Another thing about real wood: you get the pattern nature gives you. If you can grain you can manipulate the design. Knots or no knots? Wavy grain that makes a design exactly where you want it. Color; pearls, metallics, chameleons, inlay, airbrushing - only limit is your imagination.

It was a popular thing to do in the '70s to run a faux finish down the 'Beauty Band' on vans, though I seldom saw any that looked much like wood - most shops did an Okey-Doke by spraying on some lacquer paint and wiping it real fast with a sheet of Saran Wrap. But you could make it a 'Woody' with paint a lot easier than cutting and attaching veneers.

As regards sign work - you don't always HAVE to knock everybody's eye out with a Shep Job on a project. There are fast & easy ways to simulate a wood grain for a background or a frame on a board or metal sign, just as there are quick sho-cards and nice gold leaf jobs - it's good to have all the tools at your disposal.

Posts: 1859 | From: / | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well put Mike,

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!