Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Current logo job

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Current logo job
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a current logo project. Customer gets to rip into it next week. Shown in both the original layout and a modified version for horizontal applications. B/W, grayscale, and color of each.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, I like it a lot!!

Good to see a layout set up for Portrait AND Landscape applications.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Nice. Since Bob and I are friends I will play the devil's advocate here and look at this from a different perspective.

While the pictorial and font for the name are great recognition factors, will the service being provided be readable? On business cards, letterheads, etc. this is not a problem because the viewer has unlimited time to read the copy. However, if this were on the side of a van or sign panel and the viewer only had five seconds to read the entire message would they be able to tell what Keller does? Squint at this design from a distance and see if "Floor Maintenance" is readable.

In my opinion (and that's all that it is - an opinion), unless the company has been in business for a long time and the name is recognized as being closely tied to what they do (like McDonalds and hamburgers) the name should not receive more emphasis than the product or service. If I looked at this layout and had only five seconds to absorb the meaning, would I know what was being offered? My suggestion would be to give more emphasis to the service so that it was more balanced with the name.

Other than that opinion, I think you have done an outstanding job.

I've had this same conversation with Dan Antonelli (and a bunch of other people) but I'm not sure that I have really convinced anyone.

Are we still friends Bob?

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Design Bob.
Very pleasing to the eye.

nice.

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Bob. I like it a lot too.
My only concern is the reverse panel for floor maintainance. It doesn't "look" centered under the Keller's. Maybe nudge it to the right a little? On the horizontal layout the panel appears to be too far left.
Ray brings up a good point. However most of the clients I've delt with in the past want their name to be the largest part of the sign. Not the most practical but it's what they want.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond,

Here I thought I was going to get an “at-a-boy” from you since I eliminated the big, bold “PH. 717.555.1212” copy from the design. (inside joke from another board)

If I didn’t want to hear any comments, positive or negative, it would not have made it on the board. Fire away! I’m under the opinion that you usually have an opportunity to learn more when away from the choir than constantly with the choir.

I see the same thing you comment about plus some other issues as well. When doing the “squint” test the first thing I see is Keller’s thanks to the color contrast, then a pictorial element, and the last thing I see is Floor Maintenance. When looking at this design, at speed, what is it exactly that Keller’s do? And how do you get “Floor Maintenance” out of the pictorial? Good questions! So it may be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, for some, it does suffer functionality in situations as mentioned. Although it still wouldn’t correct the underlying issue, perhaps a more representative pictorial would aid in message delivery in time-limited circumstances.

quote:

I’ve had this same conversation with Dan Antonelli (and a bunch of other people) but I'm not sure that I have really convinced anyone.

After digitizing a few of my hand sketches into the idiot box, I started going away from emphasizing the service and putting attention towards the name. At that time I stopped and started thinking about those recent threads on the other board. A few minutes of reflection on past designs revealed that a higher percentage is skewed towards name emphasis instead of service emphasis. Why is it that I am in agreement with you, however, upon execution, I go away from that concept? Lazy? Undisciplined? Yes to both and more I’m sure! Something to work a little harder at in the new year.

Are we still friends? You bet! Anybody that is going to publicly state being a friend of mine has more to lose than I do.

Brian,

On the original layout, the reverse panel is centered on the Keller’s copy. On the landscape layout, it is offset to the left to help kill some of the water in pictorial, and in my opinion, leads the eye a bit better than if it were centered. It’s also positioned in such a fashion that the F in floor is below the K in Keller’s. I may or may not address it as I may just come up with a completely different concept before next week and the whole thing may become a mute point. Below are the centered and off centered version for review.

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Bull Sign & Custom
Visitor
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob all looks fine to me ,I think they're good designs -I feel the lower version on your last post looks better optically

Terry

--------------------
Terry Bull
Sign & Custom
Grays Essex England

www.signandcustom.webeden.co.uk
www.pinheadlounge.com/terry

Posts: 317 | From: Grays ,Essex ,England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Funk
Visitor
Member # 1351

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brad Funk   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Funk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really like the first black and white logo. NIce job!

--------------------
Brad Funk
Artisan Signs
Phoenix, AZ
www.artisan-signs.com

Posts: 291 | From: phoenix AZ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, the good ol secondary copy legibility issues arise again.

I like the layout you've done alot. BUt as Ray states, I think the secondary copy is understated.

By simply beefing up the face, I think you'd have it right on the money.

Its not always about giving the client what they want, especially if the client is wrong. Our experience, education and past successes should convince clients that we're more knowledgeable than they are about marketing their business.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bob,

I kinda agree with Raymond about the type of business not being as legible as name. I stared at the 1st logo & was thinking it looked like something Gary Anderson would do. So I leafed thru his books & found one similar; but his design didn't exemplify type of business much better, even though he used bolder typestyle.

As far as legibility there must be contrast
between typestyles to be effective. So although you might want to make floor maintenance bolder, don't go too bold.

The only thing which I see that jumps out is the misaligned kerning between the "M A I" on maintenance.

That's all,

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not gonna stroke you, it's a good looking piece. But, after reading Raymond and other's thoughts on this, I agree with his views.

When I glanced at it, my mental image was "fishing lodge". That's a great lake/forest/campground looking pictoral.

I never thought about floors.

But, and there's always that BUT, this is a logo out standing in its field. A field of white, on a page that is.

Put this thing on a side of a van (for example)with bold secondary copy (Floor STUFF!) and you've gotta winning combination.

I personally like iconic logos. I dont care for twisted text only as a logo. The only ones that ever really worked, were Coca-Cola and Ford. (the oldest trademarks still in use, respectively.)

Bert Quimby has a knack for doing a great job of balancing icon and text content as logos.

Like Raymond said, we're just a bunch of bellybuttons comparing our lint, so dont take anything to heart. It's your baby, raise it how you see fit.

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Vrstal
Visitor
Member # 2271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey Vrstal   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Vrstal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Robb. I like the design but when I give it the quick glance and try to imagine what the average person that does not spent as much time criticizing signs (KELLER'S POTENTIAL CUSTOMER) would think, I also don't get it as a floor maintenance business. Perhaps Keller has flooded the market with other advertising that we are unaware of... all with the scenic mountain view.

I wondered how a floor design would look in place of the mountain scene. Perhaps some other type of graphic would re-enforce the entire idea while keeping the layout the same?

BUT IT REALLY DOES LOOK GOOD!

2 cents.

--------------------
Jeff Vrstal
Main Street Signs
157 E. Main Street
Evansville, WI 53536
1-608-882-0322

Posts: 670 | From: Evansville, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Steward
Visitor
Member # 2420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Steward   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Steward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bob!
Do you remember me? What happen to Hyatt's? Hope you're havin' fun now. Looks like you are. Give me a shout about the upcoming meet in Mars, I'd like to plan something together.
Happy Holidays!

--------------------
Jerry Steward
Sign&Print
Bethlehem, PA

Posts: 126 | From: Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Larkham
Visitor
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Larkham         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I look at a logo I always think about it going by me on a truck door doing 55mph. Will I understand what it is? Will I know what the business is? Will I be able to read all the copy? I think your design is a nice clean and attractive layout, but I don't believe it tells me enough about the business. My first impression is some sort of enviromental company. First impression is a lasting one exspecially at 55mph. just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Rob Larkham
Rob Larkham Signs & Lettering
21 Middlefield Road
Chester, MA. 01011

413-354-0287

Posts: 517 | From: Chester, MA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man these are good points being raised here, constructive, helpful critique without malice or ill intent, so good to see.

Great work all.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Steward
Visitor
Member # 2420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Steward   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Steward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Bob,
sorry - got carried away and forgot to give you my 2 cents on the design. 1st: All of the above - 2nd: the logo first posted in a square-ish layout, with the diamond centered behind the lettering, well if that one is still to be used, be sure to reduce the border thickness around the diamond. It is holding a stronger line than in the horizontal layout, & I think it's hurting the "floor maintenance" panel. The secondary copy might be ok small, as long as the shape supporting it is bold enough to be seen as the 2nd most important on the priority list.
As far as the image itself, I find it refreshing to give the business something outside of its normal spectrum to look at & be inspired by. This image leads me to believe my kid could eat off the floor they cleaned, environmentally toxin free!
So, give me a blast too! I'll try to get something in the works up soon.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Jerry Steward ]

--------------------
Jerry Steward
Sign&Print
Bethlehem, PA

Posts: 126 | From: Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!