Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Truck Lettering

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Truck Lettering
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!

Here is the truck we lettered today. This client was a referral from another customer. Just have to love word of mouth advertising!

This design is all vinyl. There are 8 colors of vinyl (black, yellow, imatation gold, kelly green, apple green, ivory, brown, and magenta) used in 3 layers plus utilizing the white of the truck as another color. Overall design size is 10" tall and 30" wide.

The leprechaun was derived from two pieces of clip art. The body of one was matched to the head of another and minor modifications were made. The shamrock was added for support and the snow was digitized on screen using the drawing tool.

Time for the production was approximately 1.75 hours design and and set up, .75 hours cut/weed/tape, .5 hours vehicle prep, and 1 hour application for a total of 4 hours.

This job was a lot fun to do and was financially rewarding. Thanks for letting me share with you all!

Have a great one!

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: Bruce Bowers ]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Grundy
Resident

Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Grundy   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Grundy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Bruce! And I bet you had a lot of fun doing it!

--------------------
Dave Grundy
retired in Chelem,Yucatan,Mexico/Hensall,Ontario,Canada
1-519-262-3651 Canada
011-52-1-999-102-2923 Mexico cell
1-226-785-8957 Canada/Mexico home

dave.grundy@hotmail.com

Posts: 8885 | From: Chelem, Yucatan, Mexico/Hensall, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beauty Work Bruce!!!!

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Bruce, I too bet it was a lot of fun !!!!
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Diver
Visitor
Member # 1552

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Diver   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Diver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go Bruce. I give it 2 thumbs up. The time it took you was quite fast (to my standards, thanks for adding that info.) I think I have to work on my speed in design and production. Since I've only been in business less than a year I still have a ways to go.

Thanks for sharing

--------------------
Brian Diver
PDQ Signs
Everett, Wa

(425) 252-6110
Brian@PDQ-Signs.com
www.PDQ-Signs.com

Posts: 770 | From: Everett, WA 98201 USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe ... very cool.
Now we just need some snow to put the guy to work ... not that I'm complaining about 50's-60's in December but it is kinda wierd.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! What are great job.

Thats one of the nicest uses of the fonts I've seen so far - very cool.

Thanks for sharing -

Dan

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top notch!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Killer job Bruce. My kind of stuff. Love it!

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great work buddy!!

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like it!! That's a lot of vinyl. I guess I just don't have the patience or my plotter just doesn't cut right. If I tried to do that nothing would line up properly. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Ursta
Visitor
Member # 1738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Ursta   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Ursta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy i was thinking the same thing. How did you get it all to line up so perfect Bruce??? The most ive done perfect has been 5 colors! Did you install it all as a decal or did you separate them?

--------------------
Ryan Ursta
Ursta Graphics
116 B North Mercer Avenue
Sharpsville Pa. 16150
Call: 724•962•2206
"We make YOU look good"

Known as "Ugraph" on mirc

Posts: 558 | From: Sharpsville Pa. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Bull Sign & Custom
Visitor
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done Bruce -a nice clean, clear design with a touch of humour
one that gets remembered ,so works

Terry

--------------------
Terry Bull
Sign & Custom
Grays Essex England

www.signandcustom.webeden.co.uk
www.pinheadlounge.com/terry

Posts: 317 | From: Grays ,Essex ,England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all!

Thank you for all your kind words. Coming from my peers and fellow sign professionals, they really mean a lot to me. I truly feel blessed by the Lord to be able to work in my chosen field and do what I do.

The installation of this design was really quite simple. The real work came in the set up and design of the project. I set up the design with all the elements in their proper placement and overlapping.

I then select which elements need to be subtracted and/or welded together or from each other. After this is completed, I then select all the different pieces and keep them grouped. While one color is cutting, I am weeding others. I then tape them up all at the same time. It goes faster that way. the use of clear transfer tape facilitates the proper placement and alignment.

Proper alignment and order of color placement is critical to pull these type of jobs off. I use several methods of alignment for the elements to make sure that they are plucking down where they are supposed to be.

A well thought out order of placement makes the job go smoothly and quickly. On this particular project, I placed the black down first. I positioned the imatation gold lettering first following up with the yellow bevels. Then I placed the apple green, kelly green, ivory, magenta, imatation gold, yellow, and brown pieces.

We have an Allen Datagraph cutter that just smokes through this kind of work. It is an extrememly fast and accurate cutter. It does help that we have had one in our shop for over four years now and have learned the little idiosyncrasies that all cutters have and have learned how to tweak it for maximum performance given the tasks at hand.

Allen Datagraph does not get the exposure that some cutters get because they don't advertise them the way that other cutter companies do. We were so impressed with our first one that we bought a second one and relegated the first one to back up and overflow duties. Sheesh... I sound like a dang commercial... Hey Ray... is the check in the mail? LOL!

Again, I appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

Have a great one!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,

Killer job!! I'll go ahead and ask the question that everyone of us wants to but won't....

WHATDIDYAGETFORIT???

P.S. Very nice work!

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 7 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce

I would never have attempted something like that with some many cut vinyl colours
and doing that in 4 hours .………WOW.

This has really opened my eyes to new possiblites.

Thanks so much for sharing that Bruce……….

As Homer Simpson would say……YIHOO!

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Pendragon Signs & Graphics
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

if it's not one thing.....it's two things

Posts: 261 | From: Yellowknife, NT, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee Attewell
Visitor
Member # 2407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee Attewell   Email Lee Attewell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love word of mouth. It costs you nothing. just doing a great job the first time.The best form of advertising, and the cheapest. love the design, Can't see much use for this bloke here though LOL.

--------------------
Lee Attewell
Graffic Jam Auto
Unit 3, 1731 Albany Highway,
Kenwick Western Australia 6108

Posts: 102 | From: PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.. in fact it's so nice I'm going to rob that design! I have a friend whose last name is Hennessey and no joke, but he does that very same work, in Summer, Topsoil and landscaping, in winter snow plowing.. hmmmm.. Nawww I would'nt do that bruce I'm just yanking your chain, But the story is true.. Nice Job, I do love the colors.
Neil

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!