Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Logo design and truck doors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Logo design and truck doors
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a couple pictures of a job I did yesterday. I did the logo design for the customer, as well as a 4'x8' aluminum sign for his warehouse and two pickups. I used premium oracal vinyl and a blue to white gradient from K&R rainbow (high performance as well).

Let me know what you think

Forgot to mention, 'Hagans' is modified Zak by Dan Antonelli. In retrospect, I think the gray that was used as the shadowed part of Hagans would have looked a bit better if it was a lighter shade. Oh well.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Tyler ]

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Tyler!
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that shade of grey is working fine from seeing the photos anyway. I've been impressed with the look of prismatic fonts, & read of your desire to use them on other posts. I've never gotten much of anything happening yet design-wise with them, but I'd say yours is looking great!

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Tyler!!

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Great , very nice design.....

Shep'

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Arvil Shep' Shepherd ]

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work! Great to see em' in action - and be used properly!

White and grey is a nice combo - I beaten that combo to death!

Dan

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work Tyler....there fun to use!

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Dearborn
Visitor
Member # 1461

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alan Dearborn   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Dearborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! I think the gray looks perfect in that shade; enough contrast with the truck to make it pop out. Very nice work!
What layout program do you use?
(Just wondering; I'm in Corel Draw/Illustrator)
How do you like Oracal?

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: AlanD ]

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: AlanD ]

--------------------
Alan Dearborn
Dearborn Graphics
Hampton, NH USA

Posts: 271 | From: NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alan,
I do all my design work in Corel Draw. Even when I am designing full color business cards, I do my layout in corel, then export each piece seperately and bring it into photoshop to do the effects. I really like oracal, good price and have never had any problems with it. i also really like how the white vinyl has a blue liner paper so it is easier to weed and see what you are doing..

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cool beans bubba tyler!

nice color combo as well as typeface choices.

keep on keeping on.

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 16 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice....i have those dna fonts and use them quite often

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Posts: 163 | From: Lumberton, TX | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how did you put the black outline around the primary copy?

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Posts: 163 | From: Lumberton, TX | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

John,
It was all layered, with the black going down first, then the medium gray, then the white highlights on top of it. Black was the main piece, and everything else fit right on it, like the white tire detail and the red bar and blue lettering. It makes application much easier when you have at least a thin outline of the same color around everything, so you can line it up and layer it easily..

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Tammy Begley
Visitor
Member # 2336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy Begley   Author's Homepage   Email Tammy Begley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great design.
I also layer vinyls this way, although I have been having problems with air bubbles. Seems the more layers I have the more air bubbles I have.
Do you have this problem? Any suggestions...

--------------------
Tammy Begley
Graffiti Expressions
PO Box 237
Surgoinsville, TN 37873
tbegley@graffitiexpressions.com

Posts: 9 | From: East Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

I layer all the vinyl on the vehicle itself. I have put it together at my place before then applied it as one piece, but because of all the layers, the squeegee isn't flush with all parts of the vinyl at the same time, leaving bubbles. I have been using clear application tape, and once the main piece is down, I just eyeball it to line everything up through the clear tape and stick it down.

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Tammy Begley
Visitor
Member # 2336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy Begley   Author's Homepage   Email Tammy Begley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was the problem...layering before I applied to surface. Was just wondering if you had experienced that problem also. Thanks for the reply, I will try layering on the vehicle and see if I can do any better. Thanks again.

--------------------
Tammy Begley
Graffiti Expressions
PO Box 237
Surgoinsville, TN 37873

Posts: 9 | From: East Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also "trap" or "knock out" the colors where they overlap, basically eliminating layers of vinyl and the bubbles along with it.

I sell quite a bit of read-to-apply graphics and I "knock-out" all the layers like that so I can send it all as one piece without the bubbles.

I built a 30"x52" light table with a glass top that I can use for registering the vinyls, the whole setup cost me about $30 I think. The ease of registration plus a smooth surface for applying transfer tape without bubbles over knife cuts has more than paid for it.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 10 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job there Tyler. Good use of the font too.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy Begley
Visitor
Member # 2336

Mike,

Please explain "trap" or "knock out".
Are you refering to cutting out the vinyls so that there will only be one layer?
Thanks.

--------------------
Tammy Begley
Graffiti Expressions
PO Box 237
Surgoinsville, TN 37873

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!