Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » shop van/new logo NEED ADVICE/CRITIQUE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: shop van/new logo NEED ADVICE/CRITIQUE!
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been playing around with a new logo for my shop on and off since spring. I have got a van I use for personal and business use, and have decided to make up a nice set of magnetics instead of lettering the van itself. So I added a panel behind the logo design I had already worked up, and am still picking away at it. I would really appreciate getting some opinions and advice from all you very talented letterheads.

The burgundy background is basically the same color as my van. I think the phone number and name 'A Step Above' shouldn't be black, though I was having trouble finding a suitable color. These are going to be digitally printed after doing the bevel on 'Signs' and other effects in photoshop (see below as to what I already have done)and applied to magnetic. I was a little concerned about how well it reads and keeps the eyes interested. Any advice on fixing that is greatly appreciated (possibly totally changing the font for phone num and 'A Step Above'?). Also was thinking panel may need some sort of border or pinstriping or something to make it a bit more interesting. I will probably bevel the edges of it a bit in photoshop. Anyway, any advice about any of it is greatly appreciated. I always have alot of trouble working on projects for myself, I can never get it just right, it seems. Thanks guys and gals!

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Tyler ]

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it Tyler, excellent work.

Like the top version best because the colour is more striking, if you were to merge the special effects of the lower design into the top one and keep the colour I think it would be a powerful design.

Don't mind the black text, it is a mistake to try to make every aspect of a design stand out, there has to be Foreground (Signs), Middle ground (The ribbon etc) and the Background.

The only thing I might ad is that the "All About" and the Phone number are a little far away from the main body of the design, they tend to relate more to the outer edges than the center, just close 'em up a tad.

Good work.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Preston
Deceased

Member # 1314

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Bill Preston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Tyler,

I am probably the last person on the BB who should be critiquing someone else's ideas, layout wasn't always my strong suit. Still isn't sometimes.

At any rate, try the same font for A Step Above that you used for SIGNS, and in the same general size. Colors--don't change. Also, try lowering the ribbon so it doesn't hide the bottom of SIGNS.

Because that move may cover some part of the background panel, you could stretch that panel vertically just a little.

Finally, bring everything in from the edges of the panel a bit. M.Stevens crowding the edges thing.

See? I told you layout wasn't my best area.

--------------------
Bill Preston
Fly Creek, N.Y. USA

Posts: 943 | From: Fly Creek, N.Y. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 10 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good looking design. A couple of things I would change or tweak though. First the panel behind the lettering needs to be a different color, a dark one, maybe hunter green? Right now you have yellow lettering on a tan panel ( nevermind the outline ) notice how much better the bottom example shows up on the monitor beacuse of the difference in contrast without the panel? I always choose colors for lettering as if there will be no outline.

Secondly the bigger letters in A Step Above, the A, S, and A are creating an akward bit of negative space at the top of the sign. I'd make them all the same height.

Thirdly, the phone number need some attention paid to the kerning.

And last, there seems to be a problem with the N in signs, this might just be the way the font is but the small triangles of negative space within the letter don't match. The serif tells me it's rightside up but it looks like its upside down. I'd either try to straighten the font by a little node editing or drop the banner down a touch allowing a little more negative space to show.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Funk
Visitor
Member # 1351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad Funk   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Funk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler, nice job. I think the word signs is very tough to read in both designs. My thinking for vehicle graphics is they must be able to be read on the fly. Most people seeing it will have only a second to read your message. Just a thought.

--------------------
Brad Funk
Artisan Signs
Phoenix, AZ
www.artisan-signs.com

Posts: 291 | From: phoenix AZ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler, I see you have a thing for prismatic type letters which are real nice both on stationary and vehicle signage.
Doing 99% of my work on vehicles, I personally find the overall look of the vehicle has to match the design we give it, from its stance to the way others are going to look at it and if they are going to look at it. I'm sure your realize that color has alot to do with what you are trying to achieve as much as the complete effects you give the vehicle.
I find your second design quite satisfying and tastfully done, right down to the different size letters.
BTW, I like your work. What else is planned?

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dadgummit, i am gonna agree with joey for the second time today on the bullboard!

i like what i see tyler, i love it when a sign artist experiments with color combos, type weights.

the next time you are in the grocery store, do like i do, look at packaging designs and candy wrappers.

prioratize copy.

what is the most important word? then work your way down to what is the least important word.

i enjoy seeing your work here.

keep on kickin' tyler.

great job,

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I am experimenting with some other color combos. I like the idea of the dark green panel, as it does make the verbage pop out more. I tried a dark green panel with beige subcopy and the gold/yellow 'signs', but i was having trouble getting the banner to look right, as it looked strange being blue with the green panel. I may stick with a lighter colored panel with some vertical thin striping in a darker color.. I will post the final image once i figure out what color scheme I am going to use.
These are going on my van, which is a 89 chevy g30 windowless cargo van, that i am having some fun with and customizing in and out. This is a personal van as well as my work van, so I wanted to do magnetics so I dont always have to have the markings on there. The van is burgundy and silver, and is getting repainted in the same scheme in the spring. Hey Joey, if you are ever out towards Cleveland, I would love to get it pinstriped. I will post a pic of the van with the finished signs as well..
Thanks for the advice everyone, you are all a big help!

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful Work Tyler!

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I like the top one without the panel.Maybe change the secondary copy to white.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!