Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » neat magnetic signs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: neat magnetic signs
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a pic of a set of magnetic signs I did for my girlfriend for her boss's birthday (which means they were free, of course). They are a cut-out shape, the white background is just my dingy workvan, not a square of magnetic.

They are about 22" by 12" if i recall correctly. I applied the vinyl onto a square sheet of magnetic and then cut it by hand. I used reflective red for the heart, pearlescent white for the highlights on the heart and the main panel, and an imitation brushed gold for the "Dr.Hart's". Turned out pretty cool, and she liked them alot.
I was a bit wary about the complex shape (as far as magnetics go) and using imitation brushed gold (metalized polyester) on them, but she only does housecalls once in a while so they shouldnt get too much wear and tear.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Tyler ]

--------------------
Tyler Malinky
A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Dearborn
Visitor
Member # 1461

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Alan Dearborn   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Dearborn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're doing beautiful work Tyler! Very nice to see such original designs. With all the similair vet signs/logos it can be a challenge to come up with something new.
What brand vinyl and what program do you use?

Posts: 271 | From: NH USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice looking mags tyler. I've cut a few shapes out of mag material too. As for wear & tear, I always try to avoid a sharp inside corner like at top of heart. If you didn't already, let the client know it could rip there when removing it.

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reflective red and the pearlescent white are avery, the brushed imitation gold is gerber, and the black is oracal 751 series. This was all designed in corel draw 8. The only thing i wasn't totally happy with was the font for the subcopy. Being all lower case, I thought it left a bit of wierd negative space between the main copy and itself. But I was designing and cutting these things at about midnight the night before I needed them, and they were free after all, so I figured it would do. I worried a bit about the 'v' shape at the top of the heart tearing as well. The black was the main piece to go on, and layers the whole piece of magnetic, so the extra vinyl gives it a bit more strength to resist against tearing. Also, as these aren't going to be used every day or anything, I wasnt as worried about wear and tear. I hate when I make up a really cool pair of magnetics, and then people roll them really tight to store them, or even fold them (dont ask me why), and it puts folds and creases in the vinyl. That drives me crazy.
Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor Glenn Taylor has just turned 57
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great look'n job!

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!