Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Logo I'm working on... Pick it apart for me!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Logo I'm working on... Pick it apart for me!!
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is the name and that he wants a tractor. Here are my latest versions. Which do you like better? What would you change? Why?

#1...

#2...

Thanks

------------------
Amy Brown
AMBO Design
Lake Helen, FL
jabrown@cfl.rr.com

"If only my toddler was better with paint & computers!"

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Clayton
Deceased

Member # 723

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mike Clayton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them both Amy!

MC

------------------
Mike Clayton
MC Graphics
Barnegat, NJ
http://www.visualnoise.com/mcg/
mike@visualnoise.com

"Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery!"

Posts: 508 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,
I like the first one.. It would be neat if you could find a three-quarters view of a tractor from the front instead, maybe something a bit realistic, but still somewhat simple. I think that would maybe add a little somethin somethin. just my two cents.

------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like #2 best. Nice work,clean.
I generally prfer for graphic elements to point to the copy, like you've done here.
But (I always got a 'but') see how it looks with the graphic pullin the copy by moving it to the right of the copy. And maybe skew the type to match the angle of the tractor. Might make for a more dynamic layout.
An' besides all us hillbillys know tractors pull better 'n they push!

------------------
Bill Dirkes
Bethel Hill Signs
Butler, Ky.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great start Amy, other than the other suggestions, I would move the lines of copy closer together and perhaps make the bottom line all uppercase. That will get rid of the awkward neg space between the lines. I actually like that tractor, easy to recognize, clean and simple.

------------------
Expressions Signs
brian@thesignzone.com
www.thesignzone.com
425-898-9817
Large format Thermal printing and cutting
2621 244th Ave NE
Sammamish WA 98074

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Boone
Deceased

Member # 308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Boone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the logo...both
I dont agree with whoever designed the font..I dont like the lower case "r"..it looks like a chopped upper case "P"

------------------
Michael Boone
Sign Painter
5828 Buerman Rd.Sodus,NY 14551
Ontime @localnet.com

Posts: 3223 | From: Sodus,NY,USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,the tractor reads faster to me in #1 and the lettering reads better in #2.Have you tried combining them? The bottom of the S could be extended to fill some of the awkward negative space under the R. Have you tried using a stronger more massive tractor? That one still has a kinda tinka-toy feel. Maybe that playfulness is what you want?

------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California
"Where the Redwoods meet the Surf"

Posts: 6720 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the final product:

The customer decided he wanted the tractor orange and some grass under it. Personally I hate the grass but it's his logo!

Thanks for all the critiques!

------------------
Amy Brown
AMBO Design
Lake Helen, FL
jabrown@cfl.rr.com

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hindsight is always 20/20 and I found this one sorta late - but had I had a hand in it I would have extended the grass all the way across (sans a bit on each side to keep the 'coke bottle' shape of elements flowing) and put a push blade on the tractor. Those elements would reenforce the name of the company, and give the illiterate people a visual clue as to what they are all about.

We have a lot of illiterates around here, so I try to utilize these principals in my designs. Plus, I have a customer that LOVES orange and green together, so I've had to become deft at making them appear as non-fugly as humanly possible.

------------------
Robb Lowe
Hub City Graphics
Spartanburg, SC

• Signs
  • Screenprinting
  • Embroidery
  • Computer Systems & Consulting

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Thanks Rob! I did try the grass all the way across. He didn't like it. He also stated from the get go that he didn't want the push blade type of tractor. I don't think he really knows what he does!! HE HE!

------------------
Amy Brown
AMBO Design
Lake Helen, FL
jabrown@cfl.rr.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!