Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Record shop logo design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Record shop logo design
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a proposed logo I designed for a new record shop that is opening up next week. Any constructive critisism? I haven't shown it to the customer yet, but I am pretty sure they will like it. I am going to be doing some small window graphics for them, as well as two sets of full color business cards and some decals. For the full color business cards I am going to do a realistic chrome effect on the word 'polished' in photoshop, as well as jazz up the rest of it and add in a really cool background. I will post it when that design is done. And I may have a couple of digital prints made of it for use on the window, though I do like the way it looks in the design below, with the faux shinyness (i dont think that is proper english...)

------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whoo Ty! Very retro, I love it! I deninitly wanna see the photoshop version. One thing is I would work on the record itself it needs to be more in the background than the rest, maybe its the yellow I don't know, just my opinion.

------------------
--------------------------------------------------
"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Ken McTague
The Witch city
Salem, MA

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, here is the business card design I worked up for them, which I think looks much better than the vinyl-ready logo I did in corel. I think I am definately going to have these printed for their window graphics. Here it is, I just noticed that I forgot to put some little light highlights on the word polished, so I still have to add those in.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I learned how to do the chrome effect on the word Polished by the article in the newest SignCraft by Chuck Davis
------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Tyler (edited July 15, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tyler (edited July 15, 2001).]

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tyler,

For future reference, Photoshop includes a gradient that mimmicks the chrome look.

I like to start with the photoshop gradient and tweak the colors a bit to make it a little more realistic, then instead of doing an even fade, I do two of them on seperate layers. This way I can use one to represent the foreground and horizon, which I usually add mountain ridges to, then use the bottom layer for the sky colors.

Put that under a text mask (take out the background to make it transparent) and merge the layers.
Toss in a Photoshop lens flare filter or two or three or ten and a Bevel/Emboss layer option and you have yourself some nice looking chrome. You might need to do some final tweaking to get it just right but the effects only take seconds to create.

------------------
Mike Pipes
Digital Illusion Custom Graphics
Lake Havasu City, AZ
http://www.stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, I whipped up a quick sample image.. if I mispelled yer name, sorry, I didnt have the window open at the time.. =)

http://stickerpimp.com/sketchbook/tyler.jpg

This was done by using a text/layer mask, using photoshop's stock chrome gradient under the mask, then applying the mask to the layer to "Flatten" it so I can do a bevel/emboss.

Then the whole image is flattened and I used photoshop's lens flare filters to add the highlights although you could do it by hand too.

It took longer to start photoshop up than it did to create this sample.

------------------
Mike Pipes
Digital Illusion Custom Graphics
Lake Havasu City, AZ
http://www.stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Tyler,
pretty groovy. my only suggestion is to decrease the number of "reflections" in the record (the blue arcs). you've got four in each section, and i think you could do it with three and not lose the effect you want. less is more. and less is easier to reproduce in many sizes...

------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: San Francisco ::
:: don't blame me... i'm just a beginner
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!