Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » New logo/vehicle marking design.. critique?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New logo/vehicle marking design.. critique?
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a new design I have worked up for my company logo, with it's use as a vehicle graphic in mind when I designed it.

I am thinking that the lighter yellow in 'signs' will be either florentine swirl or engine turn Signgold One, and the darker yellow will just be a HP yellow. The words 'logos, lettering, signs' will be a pearlescent white. The words 'A Step Above' and the phone number will be a deeper shade of red than the vehicle, and then also 'domed' with resin. The phone number isn't going to be located right there on the van, I just threw it in there.
Any comments or constructive criticism? I would like to hear what you guys think. I think I am going to have some full color business cards run off with this same logo, once it is finalized.

------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com
tmalinky@astepabovesigns.com or exmayors@aol.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really is a excellent design. The colors you have specified will be good too. I am worried about the deep red being prominent enough though. Phone number in a little tight er. Domed letters, I've got to see that on vehicle, should be great. Good luck.

------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan
Since 1978
www.wrightsigns.bigstep.com
All change isn't progress, and all progress isn't forward.

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like David I think it is a nice design but don't think the dark red will show up well enough. I also think the black shadow needs something a little different. It just kinda makes it look awkward to me! I do like the colors though!

------------------
Amy Brown
AMBO Design
Lake Helen, FL
jabrown@cfl.rr.com

"If only my toddler was better with paint & computers!"

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Evans
Visitor
Member # 44

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Evans   Email Bruce Evans       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great design.

Only things I would do different would be to reduce "A Step Above" maybe 25%.

And I'd change the black shadow effect to a thick black outline.

The doming should look great. Believe it or not, if you make the vinyl the same color as the vehicle....when domed it'll stick out like a sore thumb. The color should be fine just the way it is.

------------------
Bruce Evans
Chromark Design-A-Sign
Covina , CA
bruce@chromark.net

Posts: 910 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Elliott
Visitor
Member # 1323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Elliott   Email Bob Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The logo and design look excellent. The only commont I have(I've been told I'm a little nutz on stuff like this)You have "signs" in the bold lettering, having signs on the banner is redundant. It would also give space for a different service you offer. I hope I don't sound too picky, but would put office cleaning on " John's cleaning Service" van?
The colors are an excellent choice and should really stand out!

------------------
Bob Elliott
SouthPaw Signs southpaw@pikeonline.net

May be left-handed, but still not in my right mind.

Posts: 35 | From: Dingmans Ferry Pa. USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice design tyler!
i would treat this design as a showcard, a lt more "air" around say the copy "a step above".
maybe reduce the size at least 75% or more and move it up in the field.

just a suggestion, but maybe try a different heading typeface on the word SIGNS.
a little less imposing.

thanks for giving me the opportunity
to give my "2 cents on a great design"
keep up the good work.

mark

------------------
Mark Fair

Mark Fair Signs
http://www.markfair.com/flash.html

Home of "Sign of the Month
http://www.markfair.com/signomonth.html

2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107
334-262-4449

mark@markfair.com

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some revisions according to your guys suggestions. Here is the first change, which is just reducing 'A Step Above' by about 30% and moving it up a bit.

And here is changing the shadow on 'Signs' to just a thick black outline instead. If I go with this change I would have to bring in the right side of the banner slightly, as it had extended a bit further than the other side so it fit just past the shadow.

I really like walldog, the font that Signs is in (from Letterhead Fonts), and i think i t will look great with the signgold/dark yellow combination. (Oh yeah, your opinion: signgold for the word 'signs', should it be large engineturn or florentine swirl?). You probably can't see it in this image, but there is also a thin outline of the dark red around the entire 'Signs' and the banner. Let me know what you guys think, if the shadow or just thick outline works better, and also if there are any other changes or small details I should add in. Thanks for the input!

------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Posts: 190 | From: Parma, Ohio USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyler
Visitor
Member # 2093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tyler   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yet another picture. Hope these arent taking forever to download for everyone. This is the latest (final?) version of my new logo. I changed a couple things that dan antonelli gave me some pointers on, such as changing the script in the banner to a copperplate, and increasing the size of the S's in 'SIGNS' a bit vertically. Also adding a thin blue stripe around 'Signs' and a shadow under the banner. You probably can't see it too well, but then I also added a thin stripe in the dark red color (same as banner shadow) around the whole thing.

------------------
Tyler Malinky

A Step Above Signs
Cleveland, Ohio
440.842.1894 fax

www.astepabovesigns.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!