Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Destroying a wall without a hammer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Destroying a wall without a hammer
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you like this one 'heads...This was one mathematical nightmare getting the bricks to line up.
Here's the wall before I performed a little magic....

It's all paint and foam. Nothing was actually done to the wall but a few small post holes drilled in the mortar.

------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the kids say, Awesome!

------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan
Since 1978
www.wrightsigns.bigstep.com
All change isn't progress, and all progress isn't forward.

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Berry
Visitor
Member # 1327

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Berry   Email Wayne Berry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn fine effects. You'll be able to point to that one for a while. How much time do you figure the install took? Did ya hear the Oooohhhs & Aaahhhs when the customer saw the finished work?

Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

------------------
Berry Signs & Stripes
Hattiesburg, MS
Signs, lines, lettering & other neat stuff.

Posts: 82 | From: Hattiesburg, MS | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Gulliford
Visitor
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Greg Gulliford   Email Greg Gulliford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:cool and as my 8 year old would say "way coooooool"!

------------------
Greg Gulliford
aka MetroDude
Metro Signs and Banners
1403 N. Greene St. #1
Spokane, WA 99202
509-536-9452

mail@metrosignsandbanners.com

Posts: 576 | From: Spokane, WA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad Funk
Visitor
Member # 1351

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brad Funk   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Funk       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool idea! Great job

------------------
Brad Funk
Artisan Signs
Phoenix, AZ
www.artisan-signs.com

Posts: 291 | From: phoenix AZ | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Downey
Merchant

Member # 829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Downey   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Downey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget the kids i say awesome!!!

Doug

------------------
Freshink Creative Design Group
376 Romeo, Street
Stratford, ON N5A 4T9

Posts: 372 | From: Stratford, Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! that IS cool!!!!!

------------------
surf or MoJo on mirc
Cheryl J Nordby
Signs by Cheryl
(206) 300-0153
Seattle WA.....!
signsbycheryl@hotmail.com
A day without sunshine is like, you know...night http://signsbycheryl.homestead.com/home.html
http://mojosignco.homestead.com/home.html

From sharp minds come sharp products

Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kewl!
I like this destroy effect...WOW

------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net
scripsit@Mlink.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very neato! What did you use? SignFoam?

------------------
Amy Brown
AMBO Design
Lake Helen, FL
jabrown@cfl.rr.com

"If only my toddler was better with paint & computers!"

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Don't know why you bothered to put that nice sign on over that beat up wall.. you must be nuts!lol
Looks great!
Neil

------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

GREAT STUFF

------------------

'To be born once is natural, To be born twice, now that's a miracle.
-------------------------------------
From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

[This message has been edited by Miles Cullinane (edited May 16, 2001).]

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Bull Sign & Custom
Visitor
Member # 1876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Bull Sign & Custom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great idea ..fantastic job,is that foam just stuck to the wall?

------------------
Terry Bull
Sign & Custom
12 Cresthill Avenue
Grays Essex RM17 5UJ
England
http://www.wagonsforwalls.co.uk
http://www.signandcustom.co.uk

Posts: 317 | From: Grays ,Essex ,England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J.T. Gazaway
Visitor
Member # 2001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J.T. Gazaway   Author's Homepage   Email J.T. Gazaway   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the compliments. I guess I should have provided a few more details though. All of the letters and the dimensional bricks are made out of EPS foam coated in two-part polyurethane(spray-on). The whole thing consists of five pieces around 4x5 feet each. CR,AN,IT,UP,!,K, and the bricks and broken wall portions surrounding them are all one large piece. If you look in the first photo you can see the CR piece on the ground. Each piece has four all-thread posts on the backs of them. The posts went into small holes in the mortar after portions of the wall were plastered and painted flat black to look like a hole. The mortar holes were filled and the whole back suface of each piece was coated with construction adhesive so it isn't coming down anytime soon. It has to hold up to Texas-size weather. As a matter of fact, I don't know how they will ever get it down. After the letters were hung I painted the real bricks in the wall to look broken along with a few other faux holes. It took around 10 hours to install and paint it into the real wall. The store was open while I was working on it and lots of people were in and out. I heard a lot more of "What in the heck are you doing?" before it turned into the Ohhhhs and Ahhhhs later in the day. It looked like a big mess when I first got started. ("My reply on works in progress is, "Don't criticize the cuisine until it is served") The store is on a five lane highway so I got a lot of horn blowing too. I don't know if they liked the sign or were just trying to knock me off the ladder.

------------------
J.T. Gazaway
J.T. Graphic Design
www.jt-graphicdesign.com
jt@jt-graphicdesign.com

Posts: 254 | From: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Happy
Resident

Member # 302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Happy   Author's Homepage   Email Marty Happy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Sweet!!!" Trying to be hip picking up on what the kids around here say!

Happy Signing.....Marty

------------------
Marty Happy
Signmaker Since 1974
Happy Ad Sign & Design
Regina SK, Canada S4N 5K4

e-mail: happyad@sk.sympatico.ca

Get Happy & Get Noticed!

Posts: 773 | From: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!