Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Waterslide transfers/decals for an old buggy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waterslide transfers/decals for an old buggy
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other thread of Sonnys, made me think I should have put these here...

I made some transfers a month ago- a friend has an Alps MD-5500 printer and cartridges, and he can print white-that's the only way to get decent colours, he said-put white down first, then put the paper back in, switch the cartridges, and rerun the file for every colour you want over the waterslide paper.

I needed a duplicate of a very fine antique scroll, and in metallic silver- six of them.

I painted the scroll once, scanned it, vectorised it & tidied it a bit, and he printed it from Corel on thr Alps printer.

The following pictures show the process, and applying it to the old buggy which we were 'doing up' for a client.

Ordinarily, I'd hand-paint scrolls like these, but painting fine things in metallic silver isn't my forte, compared with finer enamel paints.
The rest of the lines - black broad lones, slime green edged fine lines, and ochre fatter fine lines, were hand painted.

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We call it an Abbott buggy, here (on a Concord 3-reach undercarriage).
They were characteristically always painted green, for some reason I have not yet fugured out.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Here's the rest of it...in progress. We just have to do the upholstery still...

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

And the 'before' photo again.
Somewhere I have a pic of it on wheels, before we started but I can't find it at the moment...
 -

[ April 05, 2013, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Cal Trauter
Visitor
Member # 10938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cal Trauter   Email Cal Trauter       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Super, thanks for sharing. Love it.
Cheers, Cal.

Posts: 97 | From: Summerland BC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ian thats fantastic...You are a talented craftsmen...

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin' good, as usual, Ian!!!

Beautiful work!

Did you do all the restoration work too, or just the paint?

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

I love the fact that this work keeps two heritages alive.....#1 the carts and #2 the hand painting.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Thanks Folks.

Dale, we do whatever's wanted- sometimes build them enturely brand new, sometimes just the striping, sometimes just the final coat of paint, then striping, and sometimes some repairs as well.

The hard part is making money from it. The more woir you do, the longer it takes and the easier it is to underestimate time and materials.

Also, if we have to do wheel repairs, the supply of decent seasoned dry quality timber is difficult. I mean we have lots here, put away over the years for that purpose, but getitng people to pay what it is worth is another matter. These days the timber available in the mills and stores is mostly totally junk, as well as being wet or green.

So, we tend to do whatever's needed, within the client's budget...to a degree. I usually avoid doing wheel repairs, because if word gets out that you do fix wheels, then you'll get everyone with an old rotten wheel that used to belong to great grandfather, turning up wanting it fixed 'for the love of it'.

I do have an old waggon here I want to fix for ourselves, that has back wheels of 6 ft diameter, and a 4-1/2" x 1" steel tyre.
ALL wheels need rebuilding, including 3 new hubs.
That will happen one day. I have new (old long dead tree-trunk) timber put away to turn down for the hubs-16" diameter. When I get a spare moment... (ha ha! [Smile] )

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Wright
Visitor
Member # 111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Wright   Author's Homepage   Email David Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great work and interesting.

--------------------
Wright Signs
Wyandotte, Michigan

Posts: 2785 | From: Wyandotte, MI USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael O'Regan
Visitor
Member # 7751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic work!!

--------------------
Mike O'Regan
O'Regan Decorators
Newcastle West,Ireland

Posts: 29 | From: Newcastle West,Ireland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always look forward to seeing another wagon done. Beautiful.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Top shelf in my book!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are full of letterhead spirit! Everything done by hand, what a winner!

Ian I was wondering if you are working in your shop with these carriages or up at the old wool shed?

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!