Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Hand carved gilded hdu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hand carved gilded hdu
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The sign is HDU, with the steel bracket sandwiched in between 2-1 inch layers. The letters are hand carved from 1 inch HDU and applied. Sign is 5ft x3ft. Finished in B.Moore Aura low luster...Letters had a final coat of oneshot before gilding... The posts were also designed with a huge wheat stem as these are grain farmers. We'll have to post pics onces the install is done... The pinstriping graphic and smaller lettering are also B.Moore Aura.

--------------------
Pat Welter
Masterhand Signs and Designs
Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it Pat!!!!

I can't even phathom what that font would have looked like had it been carved on a CNC.

Well done ...... as it should be!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

P.S. Not sure you needed the aposthrophe?

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pat Welter   Email Pat Welter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joe. Yes, no CNC here. The aposthrophe was requested by the family so I added the word "The" Grant's because they didn't want people to think their last name was Grants without the aposthrophe.

--------------------
Pat Welter

Posts: 1304 | From: Unity, Saskatchewan.Canada | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Arnott
Resident

Member # 215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Arnott   Email John Arnott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Joe, Did you use a mask for the pinstripe, border & small lettering? Did you roll the paint on?
I's still not comfortable with latex paint yet.
Lets see the finished posts!

--------------------
John Arnott
El Cajon CA
619 596-9989
signgraphics1@aol.com
http://www.signgraphics1.com

Posts: 1443 | From: El Cajon CA usa | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Hi John: No mask just tape where needed IE: top and bottom of the letters, though a mask would work...It does tend to bleed under tape or mask so if your going to go this route I would do a bleed coat, in other words put down the mask for example and paint the blue BG., then letter and remove the mask when set. I used lettering quills(Mack water based)to letter and pull the lines then just touched up where needed...The background I brush or spray and sand lightly in between coats...We'll post the posts when completed.

--------------------
Pat Welter

Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice and the gold is beaUtiful

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work Pat. It's so good to see work that did'nt utilize a computer.

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful! Colors are perfect.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW Pat, nice job, in gold letters like that, you sure this is not a government 'Grant' ?

Very cool job...

[Applause] [Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take my hat off to you Pat, you keep turning out beautiful work.
Bill

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. Clean Sharp

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5397 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Taylor   Email Aaron Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Pat great looking sign! How do you like the Ben Moore Aura line? I got a sample from my local paint supplier and it seemed to stay very tacky for a long time. I have been using the Ben Moore DTM line for years, but some colors do not cover well. The DTM will dry to a hard vinyl/paint ready surface over night.

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Posts: 69 | From: Pensacola, Fl | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat Welter
Resident

Member # 785

Hi Aaron , Great article in SignCraft...Your right it does have a tacky feel for a long time, now I only use low luster and I'm not sure if it would be the same in the higher glosses. But it covers well, and I'm working with it for hand lettering, we'll see where that takes us...I too used a lot of their paint before the which and liked it.

--------------------
Pat Welter

Joe Crumley
Visitor
Member # 2307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Crumley   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's a beauty.

It makes no difference to me what materials or techniques, good is good. Keep us up to speed on your quality work.

--------------------
Joe Crumley
Norman Sign Company
2200 Research Park Blvd.
Norman, OK

Posts: 1428 | From: 2200 Research Park Blvd. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Taylor
Visitor
Member # 9081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Taylor   Email Aaron Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pat! I keep going back to this sign and having another look. The carved and gilded letters are very very nice!

--------------------
Aaron Taylor
A Router Works
Pensacola, Fl

Posts: 69 | From: Pensacola, Fl | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott Eckland
Visitor
Member # 3036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott Eckland   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Eckland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice!

--------------------
Scott Eckland
Chelsea Signs
web: chelseasigns.com
email: scott@chelseasigns.com

Posts: 198 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A great job Patrick. I like to see lots of hand rendered techniques.
The Aura paint is sure nice. I've used it on a couple of walls. Nice a bright and covers as well as anything I've used. Slow drying hasn't been an issue, as I've only used it as a spot colour on walls. What happens if you layer and blend with color over color as in pictorial work? I know they make a specific additive to retard drying.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4352 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She turned out Grrrreat Laddie! [Smile]

Dunc, I did the Brooks mural with Aura. It's not too bad for blending, but it dries really fast especially in heat. A word of warning, you can't mix it with other paints, you can paint in conjunction with other paints(over or under), but you can't blend them or mix them together.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!