Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Layered Door Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Layered Door Sign
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This client saw our work at a recent trade show. He asked us to come up with a design for a new Fitness Centre in Canmore, Alberta. They liked our concept drawing. The only change was the "sky" My original was more an evening sky with blues. The client requested we do this prototype before fabricating a whole building full. The shape that is stood off the back plate is cut in the shape of the Cascade Mountain. It is 1/4" frosted acrylic backed up with dove grey. The text is 1/8" Black Sintra. The back plate is 3mm Non-Glare acrylic with an Edge printed fade applied to the second surface.

-

-

I'm going to propose that we also do a feature wall display and possibly an exterior sign as well.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...................that's very nice Duncan !

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Sauls
Visitor
Member # 11321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Sauls   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Sauls   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very clean Duncan. enjoying watching you work.

--------------------
Bob Sauls
Sauls Signs & Designs
Tallahassee, Fl

"Today I'll meet nice people and draw for them!"

Posts: 765 | From: Tallahassee, Fl | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really looks classy, but also inviting.
Nice work, love the colors.
Would also have liked blues for the Men's room or even pinks for the Ladies'.
Maybe you can talk them into a variety.
[Smile]
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet sign. Very clean and classy.

I'm curious how you attach the Sintra letters. Are you just very careful with a small amount of silicone on each letter? And how do you space them? Do you use the transfer tape method?

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Bowers
Resident

Member # 780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Bowers   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like it!!

--------------------
Dana Ferry
St Cloud, MN

Posts: 1556 | From: St Cloud, MN | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks. That's a great suggestion Jilly. I'll keep that in mind.
Dave, for positioning, we cut the text in 2 mil vinyl the same color as the letters. We put a slight negative offset on the text so the Sintra letters cover it entirely. That is applied to the base material. We spray the backs of the Sintra letters with 3M Spray 77 contact adhesive about 5 at a time. We use a straight edge and lay down the straight bottomed letters first. Then we come back and freehand the round letters. We've used this method for years with great results.

This is our sign the client saw at our trade show display (we made an extra for ourselves)...

-

The backer is 1/4" frosted acrylic. The logo and the lettering Bone Conduction Amplification Laboratory were cut from 1/8" acrylic and applied the same way as the Cascade sign. The logo and blue line also had chamfered face edges. The smaller text(u/case)was about 3/4" high. The logos at the bottom were screenprinted on the surface.

[ June 27, 2009, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Posts: 4350 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cody Reich
Resident

Member # 8052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cody Reich   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Reich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Duncan. I'm sure they'll love it.

Do you mind me asking what bit you use to cut the small acrylic letters?

--------------------
Cody Reich
Columbia Signs

Posts: 300 | From: Vancouver, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Thanks Cody,
I use a Gerber Gold Bit Part No.P50521B
1/8" shank, 1/16" cutting diameter.

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great...really crisp and clean...what about for the mountain a light blue on the bottom fading to white at the top...I always like blue and orange together...but looks great as it is.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john randall
Visitor
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for john randall   Email john randall       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very conservative and not usually my thing, but I love um very nice

--------------------
john randall
signman
130 Magnolia Trail
Lumberton, TX

Posts: 163 | From: Lumberton, TX | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine Beauchemin
Resident

Member # 136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine Beauchemin   Author's Homepage   Email Elaine Beauchemin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great! [Smile]
très très beau!
good fitness [Smile]
I like the labo stuff

--------------------
Élaine Beauchemin
scrip
Lettrage Scripsit inc.
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada
www.scripsit.net

Posts: 1096 | From: Saint-Hubert, Québec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!