Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Seafood Catering Logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seafood Catering Logo
Sarah Molea
Visitor
Member # 8435

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sarah Molea   Author's Homepage   Email Sarah Molea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new logo for a friend. all done in Illustrator CS2...critiques are welcomed and appreciated :]  -

--------------------
.xoxo....sarah.
~*visionary*~
.new orleans.

::art is why i get up in the morning::but my definition ends there::

Posts: 22 | From: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I do think it could be improved on...but I'm too much into withdrawals from viewing your home page to think right now...maybe later...geez I'm getting old. [Frown] ...the little guy is cute...you must be a very proud mother.

[ May 08, 2009, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miles Cullinane
Resident

Member # 980

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Miles Cullinane   Email Miles Cullinane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarah

Well done on a nice layout.

just a few possible improvements, add some white highlights to your lobster to give it dimension.

Also since his business is Seafood catering why not drawing a little more attention to that by pulling it away from his name, I used a font that I like and it doesn't look stretched.
Also with the shadows, It's never a good idea to use the same amount of spacing for all the objects you want to shade without taking their size into account so the smaller the object the smaller the shade distances.

Hope this helps, there are other who can suggest many better ideas but I thought these are simple improvements IMHO.
[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Cool]

-

--------------------
Miles Cullinane,
Cork, Ireland.

From the sometimes sunny south of Ireland,

Posts: 913 | From: Cork, Ireland | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I would try making the background it's own panel and not outline the name.

I then would try to make the name thicker to have more depth, And I don't think you need that stroke around the red stripes.

After trying I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

I do like the concept and Mile's font change.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like what Miles did...also the oval frame your lobster is in could use a little tweak...it's not a consistent thickness all the way around...and I'm confused about the faint black lettering I see in the background...what is that?...but more than anything I would like to see more color...something more reminiscent of the sea...more cheerful...in my opinion too much black for a logo whose theme is so connected with the ocean ...maybe a middle to deep blue background and use the black only for shadows and outlines where ever you like...maybe several shades of blue...I'm also a little concerned about the water swirl behind the lobster...although a nice indication of water movement...those lines somewhat compete with and confuse the shape of the lobster...I hope I haven't sounded too critical...it is a solid design...and others may feel fine with the color selection...this is just my personal preference.

[ May 08, 2009, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Rusty Bradley ]

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Thompson
Visitor
Member # 2395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email David Thompson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would lose the white shadow, to me it doesn't look good with the white letters and border. I also think the white in the border should be changed so the lettering stands out more.

The words "seafood catering" look too cramped and the drop shadow is too far away and also too faint to see, so it becomes a distraction.

I like the outline on the oval the way it is.

[ May 08, 2009, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: David Thompson ]

--------------------
David Thompson
Pro-Line Graphics
Martinsville, NJ

I'm not this dumb, it's just the paint fumes talkin'

Posts: 396 | From: Martinsville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah Molea
Visitor
Member # 8435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah Molea   Author's Homepage   Email Sarah Molea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Miles ~ you are verrry helpful, i think your ideas made a huge improvement AND youre from ireland...bonus :]

Thank you Sam and David, less is definately more!

Rusty - I am a FAN! Thanks for adding to your post, btw. The reason i chose the dark grey/black is because i wanted it to look like an old peice of driftwood - it's very "Louisiana" heh.

This guy is called "The Crawfish King" and in New Orleans, that is some title. I wonder if i should add a little crown on the little guy...?

--------------------
.xoxo....sarah.
~*visionary*~
.new orleans.

::art is why i get up in the morning::but my definition ends there::

Posts: 22 | From: New Orleans, LA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool.

I like the idea of tying into the crawfish king element also.

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Molea:
 -

I wonder if i should add a little crown on the little guy...?

I sure would give it a try. You never know until you put it on and take a look back at it.

A little gold up there just might give it a nice sparkle.

Sam

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gregg Parkes
Resident

Member # 7710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gregg Parkes   Author's Homepage   Email Gregg Parkes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the last person to be critiquing ... but here goes...

You mentioned that it was to resemble driftwood, so I would make the background into horizontal "planks" so to speak. At the moment, the "chips" are on the vertical - change these to horizontal and angled horizontal.

As the lobster represents seafood, I would make this the focal point and enlarge, making it breach the background. The lobster would look great in 3D and is easy enough to do.
Fonts may be played with a little.

-

This is a VERY quick playaround.

Cheers

[ May 10, 2009, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Gregg Parkes ]

--------------------
Gregg
Sydney Signworks
(02) 9837 1198
Schofields NSW Australia

Posts: 368 | From: Schofields | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!