Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » How NOT to Paint a Helmet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How NOT to Paint a Helmet
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago I asked for advice on how to custom paint a helmet. I was given several suggestions on the bullboard and received some help in personal emails. I finished up the helmet recently and thought I would share the process I tripped and tumbled through.

I hope by sharing what I have learned that you might be able to breeze through your own project. if you so choose to travel down this twisted road. Be prepared, this is an epic!

A few lighthearted disclaimers/warnings to start with.....You will need a thick wallet to start something like this from scratch. I dropped about a G on this one but then again I bought some equipment to pull it off. More on that later. It might also be good to keep in mind that I can be a bit sarcastic. So let's go have some fun! Oh yeah, this is my second helmet job!

STEP 1 - DON"T TRY TO SAVE MONEY - SPEND THE MONEY FOR A SOLID COLOR HELMET

I found and bought a helmet online that was very inexpensive but it also had graphics all over it....like this...

-

I figured it was a cheap one to practice on and I could just wet sand the graphic ridges down a bit and go from there. NOT...the ridges proved to be a bit too heavy and the cheap clear coat they put on the helmet was peeling off in chunks......OK then, off to a fine start!

So, I spent about 10 hours and more $$$$ stripping all the clear, graphics, and nearly everything else off the helmet. Then I cleaned up that whole mess, re-masked it all and sprayed a couple coats of primer on.

-

OK, one thing I did that was a good idea, was to make a little metal panel to follow along with through the process. I used all the same steps and paint so if it all went South, it would happen on the panel and not the helmet. Works great in theory!

-

STEP 2 - DO NOT SELECT THE MOST EXPENSIVE PAINT ON THE PLANET

I had a color concept in mind. My "client" described the color in her little mind and we also saw something she liked on one of the the new Harley's. Harley of course would not sell any quantities larger than a touch up bottle. So, I made a trip to the local NAPA store. Their paint guy handed me a Rod and Custom Colors chip book (Martin Senour Paints) and said they could mix them no problem. So, I picked out two colors for the "base" graphics and two colors for the top graphics. After getting over the shock of how much the paint was going to cost I went away so they could work their magic? When I returned to pick up the paint they said they could not mix the two top colors! They told me to try a body shop. I walked away thinking "don't you guys mix paint for body shops?"

So I ended up going to a Sherwin Williams Automotive paint store and they mixed up the two top colors. One is a gold pearl that changes to blue which was to be used for her name. The other was a purple pearl that changes to a similar blue when you move it around in the sun.

STEP 3 - DO NOT TAKE ADVISE FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVEN"T USED THE PAINT

Just because someone mixes paint, that doesn't mean they know what it does when it goes on! I asked one of the paint mixer dudes if it was necessary to perhaps spray down a silver base under the pearls. No they said it will cover everything under it!

The temple covers on this helmet came painted gloss black. They had a nice finish so I decided to just wet sand and spray the base color right over the black. It'll cover right!

-

As you will see as we go along, the base color looks totally different depending on what color you put it over. It was quite red on the helmet and test panel and a deep purple on the temple covers.

-

-

[ April 01, 2009, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STEP 4 - DO NOT USE MATERIALS YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH

I have used a liquid masking product from Spraylat called Sign Strip that has worked in the past quite well. On a helmet with all the curved surfaces, a liquid mask correctly applied can save time over trying to bend masking paper all over the place. That is if the masking actually works!

I had found what I thought was a similar product and figured it would perform about the same as Sign Strip! I bought a Wagner power painter and hosed some of this junk on. It goes on white or blue colored and dried to a clear orange peel finish. What you cannot see happening here is a weird interaction between the base coat colors and the spray mask....

-

After I discovered the mask was sticking to what was under it, I decided to wash it all off! Thank goodness for the test panel right!

Then it was time to go back to masking the base graphics off! For this I used Nichiban tape. The stuff works great but it is sort of hard to find! The tape is about 004" thick and quite transparent. I masked off all the elements I wanted to remain the Razzberry pearl color.

-

Then I sprayed the whole helmet a Blueberry pearl over the masked off graphics.

-

Then shot a coat of clear over both colors...

-

After this, I wet sanded the helmet to reduce the graphic ridge lines and then sprayed another couple coats of clear with a purple pearl flake tossed in for fun. Then you need to wet sand the whole thing again in preparation for the second layer of graphics.

STEP 5 - IF IT DOESN"T WORK ONCE IT WON"T WORK TWICE

Next up was to paint the top layer of graphic on. I don't own a plotter so I do this all by hand. I did the name graphics in illustrator and printed them out. I then used Saral paper to transfer the name onto med. tack transfer tape applied to the helmet.

-

-

I then masked off the rest of the helmet and painted the name with the Bazzillion dollar per half pint flip-flop gold to blue pearl paint!

Then I thought to myself.....that spray mask was such a disaster, I should try it again! Maybe if I just put two coats on, it will all be well!

The scroll work was to be painted in another bazzillion dollar per half pint flip-flop purple to blue pearl. So, I had to mask the whole thing off to do the rest of the graphics. So, let's giver another go shall we!

-

[ April 01, 2009, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
STEP 6 - DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRAZY VOICES IN YOUR HEAD

After spraying that nasty spray mask on again, I discovered that it really only wants to stick to the uncleared portions of the helmet! Like both names on each side of the helmet! So, once again I CAREFULLY washed off the areas of spray mask over the names and left the rest on.

Then I transfered all the additional scroll graphics on with Saral paper and carefully cut them out with the an xacto knife. I peeled off just the scroll areas and left the fairy for later! The flat areas are where the paint will be.....

-

Then you shot on the Bazzillion dollar paint! I used a tri-coat base/clear paint. The first color is a solid medium blue base color. The Mid-coat is a purple pearl that goes on over the blue base. Not enough mid-coat and it looks too blue. Too much mid-coat and you kill off the bottom color. So follow directions if you have any and take your time!

-

Then I peeled off the flesh tone areas of little Silvermist the fairy.

-

Then I airbrushed the flesh tones using 1-shot with catalyst added.....

-

Then worked in some of the other colors with hairy brushes....

-

Then start peeling off the mask to see what kind of monster you have created!

-

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

STEP 7 - DO NOT WORK FOR FREE

Actually, this project is a work of Love.... I am painting this helmet for my Great-Niece. She is 6 years old and one of the most lovely little kids you will ever meet! She is going to try her hand at go-Kart racing this summer, as soon as she turns 7, goofy age requirements!

Did you ever notice how doing something like this for someone you care about is totally worth every minute of effort, perceived trouble, and penny!

I realize I could have done something a bit more original but this is what she asked for....and Silvermist is really cool!

So, on we go.....remember the panel? It has been following along and will be framed and given to little Kaylee when I present the helmet to her.

-

The fairy is now pretty much done. I outlined the name and painted Silvermist on the helmet using blue pearl enamel. I also added some micro fine rainbow flakes to her wings for added affect...looks pretty sad until the final coats of clear are applied.

-

-

Speaking of which......Here is the helmet with the final coats of clear added, wet sanded where needed and buffed! Waiting for the mirrored shield to arrive!

-

-

-

And a parting shot of the panel.......all in 7 easy steps! Thank you!

-

[ April 01, 2009, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Dale Manor ]

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew, I'm exhausted just reading all that- thanks a million for all the postcautions (we can't quite call them precautions, can we [Wink] )

Great job & great story Dale- I've thought about doing something similar- not as indepth as that, but was quickly turned off the idea by the bazillion $ price tags of the special stuff.
I was going to g=have a go at using some dissolved urea which crystallises fast, for some crystal effects a bit like alsa makes, but haven't had a spare moment to think about experimenting.

Many thanks for the story!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Berg
Visitor
Member # 7841

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Berg   Email Jerry Berg       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The finished product looks great Dale! I've done a few helmets. Yes, they are a lot of work and the pay is'nt the greatest but that's not why I do them.

Another thanks for the story!

[ April 01, 2009, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Jerry Berg ]

--------------------
Jerry Berg
South Paw Sign
Washington State

Posts: 87 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Auto Air Colors has some really cool colors and they are not too expensive either.

Do yourself a favor, ALWAYS spray sealer before base color. You will use half as much paint and save a ton of time. Plus everything would have been the same color.

We use DuPont sealer and it has different shades depending on the color base you are using. Every time we had said "The base should cover easy without sealer," boy were we wrong.

Both the helmet and panel came out very nice. If I were 6 years old and a girl, that would be my pride and joy! Your great niece is very lucky to have a $1200 helmet!

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Feicke
Resident

Member # 767

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Feicke   Email Dale Feicke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job, Dale. I'm aware of most of the headaches you encountered. Many of those paints are just too high-buck for me, especially when you only use a tablespoon, and you have 95% of it left,and nothing to use it on. I still have a bit of that around.

I learned too, if you're going to use liquid mask the Spraylat is the only way to go.

How long do you think it's going to take her to pay for it??

--------------------
Dale Feicke Grafix
714 East St.
Mendenhall, MS 39114

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Posts: 2963 | From: Mendenhall, MS | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Hey Dale, I already told her that my daughter will have to serve cup cakes at her wedding this summer because I spent all the cake money on paint! She thinks I'm kidding!

Hopefully I can use up the extra paint on the go-kart paint job?

Otherwise I'll have to invest in a new auto-darkening welding helmet for myself and color that up a bit!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Sam Staffan
Resident

Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam Staffan   Email Sam Staffan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dale, That was fun to read and very interesting.

It turned out Great! Look forward to seeing the cart.

--------------------
Sam Staffan
Mackinaw Art & Sign
721 S. Nokomis St. Mackinaw City, MI
dstaffan@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1694 | From: Mackinaw City, MI | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proving once again...

You learn more from mistakes than you do from successes.

Great looking helmet!
Rapid

[ April 01, 2009, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Ray Rheaume ]

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracie Johnson
Visitor
Member # 6117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracie Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Tracie Johnson       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! Let me buy you a quad shot.

--------------------
Tracie Johnson
Signovations
Ventura, California

Posts: 444 | From: Ventura, California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy Grossman
Visitor
Member # 235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy Grossman   Author's Homepage   Email Judy Grossman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OooooooH Uncle Dale...You're The GREATEST!
Now...What I wanna know is...How come the 1 Shot didn't react with the clear that you put over it? Is it because of the catalyst that you put in? And how 'bout House Of color paint? Or was it because you wanted to use the flip colors that are automotive paints?

I hope you realize that you have set the bar very, very high for yourself and any further gifts from Uncle Dale. Wow! It's really so sweet and Six or Sixty cute.

--------------------
Judy Grossman
JG Signs & Designs
226 W. Jackson St.
Sonora, CA 95370

Posts: 207 | From: Sonora, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Hey Judy,

I didn't have any problems putting down the clear over the 1-shot. It was suggested that I add catalyst to prevent issues with the clear. For the most part I put catalyst in the fairy colors but on a flesh tone color or two I'm sure the quantities of color were so small I didn't add any?

Another suggestion was to put two very light "dry" coats on first and let it set a bit and then build up the gloss. This advice I did follow and it seemd to work pretty well.

I used the "value line" of catalyzed automotive clear (martin senour paints) available at NAPA. I have used Omni clears in the past with mixed results. The last time I tried spraying Omni clear it produced crazy little pock marks no matter what I did. Quite frankly the way the Martin Shour goes down, I will not be tempted to go back to the other brand. But that's just me.

I might get this helmet up to my little Great-Niece over the upcoming holiday weekend. Can't wait till she sees it!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Dan Beach
Visitor
Member # 9850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Beach   Email Dan Beach       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dale Manor:
[QB] The last time I tried spraying Omni clear it produced crazy little pock marks no matter what I did.

Fish eyes are caused by contaminants, not because the clear was bad.

They really SUCK that's for sure!

--------------------
Dan Beach
Cylinder 9 Designs
1650 Glassboro Rd
Sewell, NJ 08080

Posts: 625 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Yeah the fish eyes do really suck. No matter how well I cleaned and prepped the surface, it happened every time I sprayed the Omni at my past employers facility. There must have been a ton of airborne contaminates in that place?

The paint guy blamed on it me trying to build up a gloss too quickly. Said the solvents were evaporating too fast and causing all the little pits? I tried everything he suggested and got the same results every time!

All I know is that the clear I am currently using goes on like a dream, so I'll keep using it!

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

-Dr. Seuss

Rusty Bradley
Resident

Member # 6938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty Bradley   Email Rusty Bradley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew!...that was an amazing journey...the helmet wasn't too bad either.

--------------------
Rusty Bradley
Bradley Sign Studio
100 Creekview Road
Summertown, Tn. 38483

Posts: 2179 | From: Summertown, Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joey Madden
Resident

Member # 1192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joey Madden   Author's Homepage   Email Joey Madden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the finished look to it and I'm sure the little gal loves it as well. You've done ya best and that's all that really counts [Smile]

--------------------
HotLines Joey Madden - pinstriping since 1952
'Perfection, its what I look for and what I live for'

http://members.tripod.com/Inflite
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/hotlinesjoeymadden

Posts: 5962 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very pretty and adorable. The wearer of that should be ecstatic!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rod Tickle
Visitor
Member # 575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Tickle   Author's Homepage   Email Rod Tickle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice helmet mate. good story too! Sorry I have been interstate airbrushing a lot lately. I will post some pics at some stage.

good work mate!

cheers!

Rod

--------------------
Rod from,
EAST COAST AIRBRUSHING
"Airbrush Art & Graphics"
Nambour; Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Australia
E.mail: rod@rodticklesigns.com
Web:
www.rodticklesigns.com

Posts: 635 | From: Nambour, Sunshine Coast, Queensland | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!