Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Not every day ya getta update a 100 year old logo....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not every day ya getta update a 100 year old logo....
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well actually I don't know if this logo is the original or not...but it was still a pretty cool project.

They wanted to keep the look and flavor of the original with enhancements and a little stream-lining.

I couldn't have done it without some great period fonts from letterheadfonts.com!

Here is the original:

-

The one color enhancement:

-

The full color treatment:

-

Whaddaya think?

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!!! I like what you've done Barry. Only things I might suggest is making the background within the ribbons just a tad lighter to provide more contrast. Secondly, for the single colour version, I'd just take your full-colour version, and save it as a greyscale.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Modzel
Resident

Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Modzel   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Modzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Barry. One this struck me as a bit odd. That lump on the left of the A. Do you thing it may have been an open loop that got filled in over the many years of copying?

--------------------
Bill Modzel
Mod-Zel screen Printing
Traverse city, MI
modzel@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 1358 | From: Traverse City, MI | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question Bill, I honestly couldn't guess. I wondered too, to tell the truth. But I was directed to maintain the look of the original, and I didn't want to do too much to it.

You may be right though. The original above is the best they could give me, and it is obviously a copy of a copy's great great grandpa. lol. so it could be a distortion.

The peace pipe is what I puzzled over forever...why have it, and why have it upside down?

The "A" is weird, but in a not awful way, don't you think?

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your choice of colours. I think the text wrapping could use a bit of fine tuning on the Land Title and Association portions, but overall I quite like it.
Let's see that last one in monotone like Ken said.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Alrighty...here ya go. Now I am gonna have to redo their logo CD!

You guys were right. I thought it'd be too busy but it still looks pretty darn good!

-

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry,

I find the light source on the main "A" to be a bit confusing. It looks like it is coming from the top and right side, but then the right stroke of the letter has no highlights at all. All of this then seems to be conflict with the drop shade (down and to the right) on the shape of the state, making it's light source coming from the top and left.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Bruce you are exactly right, technically. But I kind of don't see the "drop shadow" of the stat as shadow so much as thickness derived from the angle of view or whatever...

okay fine...like I said your technically right, I just liked play of the light source on the A coming from below and right better than top left, okay...OKAY!!!?!?!? [Wink]

Thanks for your comments.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is not a peace pipe. It is called a faces, which is an ax bundled with rods and bound with a ribbon. It's also on the back of the mercury dime.

There are actually quite a few alphabets that have a similar capital A:

-

You didn't ask for a critique, so I won't go into the things I would change, but I agree with Bruce. The highlights on the A are confusing.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it. It is too busy.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6455 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captain ken
Visitor
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for captain ken   Author's Homepage   Email captain ken   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks great, i love the photoshop effects on it, the thing I dont like is the block shde on the state shape, some states just are not that recognizable by shape and the shadow of the same color takes away from that, and it makes it look like you got part of Louisiana and Tennesee in there. I might lose the shadow and send the shape of the state furture back by lightening it or less effects on it.

--------------------
Ken McTague,
Concept Signs
57 Bridge St. (route 107)
Salem MA 01970
1-978-745-5800
conceptsign@yahoo.com
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/CaptainKen

---------------------------------

"A wise man once said that, or was it a wise guy?"

Posts: 2425 | From: Salem, MA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly - not trying to be mean here - I like the original better.

The new ones look too computer effect-laden and have too much icky/saturated color.

Something about the original that has a dynamic/retro feel.

At some point there needs to be some restraint on the computer....not EVERY element needs to be textured/beveled/etc.

Oh... I thought the thingy in the original was a gatling gun....

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Todd about liking the original better. The "shadow" behind the shield isn't great, but everything else reads nicely. I also like the tilt of the shield.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I like the tilt of the shield too. It has a nice sturdy look to it.

Not trying to bust on ya Barry...I can get a little overindulgent with the effects sometimes too.... [Wink]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Todd, Russ...all I can say is ARRRRRRRRRGGHH!!

I respect the heck outta you two, really I do, but it must just be stylistic differences or something.

These people LOVED this stuff...LOVED IT. An uppity committee of stuffed shirts paid me 500 bucks for the revamp and oooed and ahhed over it when they came in. We made panels for their centennial convention, and table drapes using this--all to rave reviews....

I just don't get it. Now, my feelings aren't hurt, and I'm pretty sure (as sure as you can be over teh interwebs) none of it is personal, but geeez!

I could see where my critics were coming from on virtually everything except these last two comments. You guys are just plain wrong. Period. The crooked shield decries weakness and instability, the fasces (thank you Russ) is indecipherable and confusing, and the version you see is the BEST COPY THEY HAVE, are you two on CRACK?

Man, I am just glad my customer base doesn't see me the way you guys do, or I'd never make a buck.

Whew, that said, I wrote all this with a smile, and I don't really care what you think, so nyah. [Wink]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

quote:
Whaddaya think?
LOL... maybe you should subscribe to the "don't ask/don't tell" policy....

Nothing personal Barry.... just sharing opinions as one would expect on the portfolio page...which I view as an area for inspiration, learning and critical discussion - which, hopefully leads to growth.

quote:
You guys are just plain wrong
Everyone has an ego and a desire for lavish affirmation and admiration, but heaping dishonest praise on every piece posted doesn't seem very practical in advancing ones' skills.

We're Letterheads - not Bobbleheads, right? [Wink]

I for one, appreciate criticism - no matter how nuanced or picky... because I like to load those arrows into my quiver for future use.

You'll notice that I gave you unabashed kudos on your "silkworm" sign. Not picking on you dude. [Wink]

Glad your customer liked it.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Thanks Todd. I hope you realize that I did not have my feathers ruffled when you quoted me saying you guys were wrong.

It's always a mixed bag when anyone posts here, I know that.

Critiques, yes. Stylistic opinion, and personal taste, unfortunately yes. But such is the nature of the board, no?

So thank you for your always well meant criticism.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

You're welcome... [Smile]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!