Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Photoshop Painting with the Wacom Tablet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Photoshop Painting with the Wacom Tablet
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to through away the airbrush and all those smelly paints and hello digital painting...lol
Well ...okay, I'm just kidding!!!

I designed this to be used as a back print for T-shirts for the Harley dealer in Niagara Falls.

This project was a good opportunity for me to see how well I would get along with trying to recreate my style of airbrush illustration using Photoshop and a new Wacom Pen Tablet that I had just purchased a few weeks ago. I was surprised at how my painting technique on the computer quickly resembled the way I would go about it if I were airbrush painting the same image.

It was a really good learning experience and I'm looking forward to trying more of this type of work.

-

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design
autoartist@bevinfinlay.com

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike meyer
Visitor
Member # 542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike meyer   Author's Homepage   Email mike meyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great Bevin, I read in an Airbrush magazine that a guy did the very thing you spoke of....no more airbrush, all with the tablet. You can't tell the difference and it has helped him in alot of ways....can't rememebr his name...oh well...keep up the great work!!

--------------------
Mike Meyer Sign Painter
189 1st Ave n P.O. Box 3
Mazeppa, Mn 55956

We are not selling, we are staying here in Mazeppa....we cannot re-create what we have here....not in another lifetime! SO Here we are!!!!!!!

www.mikemeyersigns.com

Posts: 3617 | From: Mazeppa, Mn usa | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, not just the artwork but the whole compostion. Wacom Pen Tablet, another toy I need to buy.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 3819 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bevin...great execution....nice work.

I know you aren't asking for a critique...but I gotta say I'm a bit disturbed by what appears to be an Eagle struggling and "going down" for the count.

Design-wise...I'd have preferred see the eagle flying across the falls...

Eagle aside - I like everything else...great water treatment, love the type above the falls...and very glad to see you having fun with and successful at emulating your traditional airbrush skills with the Wacom and PS. Thumbs up.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevin Finlay   Author's Homepage   Email Bevin Finlay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Todd;

Your comment has given me a little chuckle, as it is always interesting to see how differently people will interpret a piece of artwork sometimes. It never crossed my mind actually that the eagle might appear like he was drowning...lol

In actuality, the theme of the piece, has the powerful eagle, (a symbol of freedom and the Harley lifestyle) crashing up out of the water and causing quite a splash for the cheering and waving biker dudes that are riding along on the famous Maid of the Mist tour boats.

My first design for this had the eagle coming straight out at you more, which actually portayed the intended theme a bit better, but the client thought he maybe looked a little too mean and appeared like he might be attacking the people in the boat.

ahhh...too many chiefs...not enough indians...lol

Thanks for your comments though folks!!!

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design

Posts: 477 | From: Mid-Western Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david drane
Deceased

Member # 507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david drane   Email david drane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really love the design but the only thing that always irks me with computer type is the way the apostophe sits on the top of the lettering. I always tend to bring it up and give it a slight angle like we always did when hand writing.

--------------------
Drane Signs
Sunshine Coast
Nambour, Qld.
dranesigns@bigpond.com
Downunder
"To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer"

Posts: 965 | From: Nambour, Qld. Australia | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All in all, I'd give it an A+.

But I have to agree with Todd about the eagle. He has a bit of a panicked look. [Wink]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome Bevin [Applause] [Cool]

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick ass Bevin,
You got that tool down pretty quick.

I can see the panic too ... in the eye

panic ... and... not so much
 -

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bingo! Mark nailed it.

BTW, I would love to see a step-by-step on this. Any chance?

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be panicking too if you went over the fall [Smile]

BTW Bevin, real super job.

[ April 02, 2007, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bevin,

you never cease to amaze the bejeepers out of me. Absolutely awesome work!

[ April 02, 2007, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Bowers ]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for taking that in the right way Bevin....I hesitated mentioning it - especially with your admirable skills.....

Again...nice job!

Question for ya: Which Wacom did you purchase? I bought a fairly large one...and now wish I had one the next size smaller....found that you can get one that is too big.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rod Tickle
Visitor
Member # 575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Tickle   Author's Homepage   Email Rod Tickle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Bevin, i'm a fan of your work anyway so no surprise I really like this too. I never really read too much into artwork, (i'm no sister randy) I like what looks good to me and this looks good. I'm still learning PS and hope to get to that level some day.

thanks for sharing!

Rod

--------------------
Rod from,
EAST COAST AIRBRUSHING
"Airbrush Art & Graphics"
Nambour; Sunshine Coast, Queensland. Australia
E.mail: rod@rodticklesigns.com
Web:
www.rodticklesigns.com

Posts: 635 | From: Nambour, Sunshine Coast, Queensland | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so inadequate. That says it all.lol

FANTASTIC!

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Again, thanks for the comments and no offense taken here. This is an important piece and I want it to be right.

Mark;
I like what you have shown me. I've painted those o'l eagle eyes many times but it appears like the water theme is what is causing a bit of the confusion here. Perhaps darkening his eye in a bit like that will suit this situation better by making him meaner looking. I'm going to make that adjustment on a duplicate layer and study it for the time being. The finished file has not yet been released to the customer so I have a little time to play with it.

Todd;
I had a chance to work with an older 12" square tablet for a while before buying my own. I found the larger one required a lot of arm movement and for me, was not as comfortable to use. I purchased the Intuos3 6x11 wide format model which is designed for use with the newer wide screen monitors ( which I do not have at this time ). It has the programable express keys and touch strips on the sides and I found those to be a real advantage. My dream machine would be Wacom's Cintiq21 that allows you to draw right on the screen. I think the possibilities with that unit would be amazing!!!

As far as a step by step Glenn, perhaps down the road.

thanks

[ April 03, 2007, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Bevin Finlay ]

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design

Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awsome Bevin!!

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Gibbs
Visitor
Member # 3882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Gibbs   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Gibbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice work Bevin.
Ron.

--------------------
Ron Gibbs
Gibbs Airbrush
www.gibbsairbrush.com
1381 St. Marys Cres.
Burlington,
Ontario,
Canada, L7P1S1

Posts: 119 | From: Burlington,Ontario,Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the pretty texture of the feathers and water; striking look on its face too! Nice work with a tablet. I always wondered how you could really do so much with a pad; amazing.

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricky Jackson
Visitor
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricky Jackson   Email Ricky Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that's cool, an american bald eagle attacking a boatload of canadians! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] Nice job Bevin.

--------------------
Ricky Jackson
Signs Now
614 Russell Parkway
Warner Robins, GA
(478) 923-7722
signpimp50@hotmail.com

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Issac Newton

Posts: 3528 | From: Warner Robins, GA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow was just looking for one at a office store .. wacom was the only one there after seeing your great art work of a eagle breaking out of the water (my 1st thought) same as breaking out of a brick wall or metal wall ... must admitt now I don't know what to get 1st wacom mouse tablet ,scanner,or printer ...now I wonder who makes the best or more practical for the money ,,pen mouse tablet ...several yrs ago I had one that you wrote on paper and downloaded worked with win 98 ..XP?....liked the idea but never could get to work the way I thought but this by far more advanced even with corel X3 wow
thank you n enjoy life

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Norcross
Resident

Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Norcross   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Norcross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dam fine work, iwould love to have it on a t shirt sometime. GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

--------------------
Mike Norcross
Mikes Signs and Graphics
Box 1232 172 adams street
Afton, Wyoming 83110

Posts: 82 | From: Afton, Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work! How about a Step-by-Step for us Photoshop users?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Hawthorne
Visitor
Member # 7483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Hawthorne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really excellent work Bevin. Very impressive.

--------------------
Rich Hawthorne
Clearview Artworks
Portland, Oregon USA

Posts: 6 | From: Portland, Oregon USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Thanks again. As per a few of your suggestions (thanks Mark) I made some final adjustments around the eagles eye and released the full size file to the customer the end of last week. The artwork was sent to another artist in Western Canada to do the color separations and will then be printed onto shirts by a company in Vancouver.
I would love to do a step by step on this and will consider that on a future project.
Thanks again!!!

-

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design

goddinfla
Visitor
Member # 1502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for goddinfla   Email goddinfla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just took another look. Is it just me or do the talons curve toward the bird rather than away?

edited to add....

Hopefully the Leafs are on the boat and it goes down, just like their playoff hopes.

[ April 09, 2007, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: goddinfla ]

--------------------
Dennis Goddard

Gibsonton Fl

Posts: 1050 | From: Tampa Fl USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Tucker
Visitor
Member # 6461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Tucker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the talons are backwards. Must be DDT in the bird's diet. Nice job tho....

--------------------
Mark Tucker
Custom Carved Signs
Gainesville, Ga.

Posts: 508 | From: Gainesville, Ga. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The talons curve which ever way your mind wants them too. [Smile]
Beautiful job Bevin.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lookin good Bevin. Love your stuff!

(even though ya cheated on a computer [Smile] )

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevin Finlay
Resident

Member # 2159

Not one to get too defensive...lol, and perhaps it's because I drew it and know what my intentions were...but I don't think the talons look like they are backwards. The eagle is coming out towards the viewer with claws open as if ready to grab you. Claws and talons are pointing forward.

However, corrective criticism is always helpful...to a point...lol...so I will certainly be more aware of little things like this on the next charging eagle!

Jake...cheating???....ahh man, just when I was having fun and not having to sniff paint fumes...lol

--------------------
www.bevinfinlay.com

Bevin Finlay
Artistry & Design

Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eyes looks soo much better now. You're just learning to use a tablet Bevin?? You're going to be scary once you figure it out! Bitchin' Job Dude!!

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deri Russell
Resident

Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deri Russell   Author's Homepage   Email Deri Russell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEVIN IS USING THE COMPUTER TO ILLUSTRATE!!!!
"BEVIN IS USING THE COMPUTER TO ILLUSTRATE!!!!
BEVIN IS USING THE COMPUTER TO ILLUSTRATE!!!!
BEVIN IS USING THE COMPUTER TO ILLUSTRATE!!!!"
she screamed as she ran down the road through the neighbourhood!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]
How long did it take you to break down? [Razz]

Just kidding ya Bevin. You know I am. Awesome work bud. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Deri Russell
Wildwood Signs
Hanover, Ontario

You're just jealous 'cause the little voices only talk to me.

Posts: 1904 | From: Hanover, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! I like that Deri!

Bevin that is amazing, that you can do that on a computer! WOW! I do not have photoshop, so I have no concept as to how you did that. I do love seeing your work, tho.

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!