Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Home Construction Logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Home Construction Logo
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
I had a customer come in the other day. He has been a customer of Diaz Sign Art since before we used computers. All of his stuff has been hand painted. Now he wants a logo designed that he can put on his truck stitch on shirts and hats put on letterheads/biznass cards and possibly other things in the future. He’s a home builder so he wants a house incorporated in it. He liked a logo we did a while back for a lumber yard that had pine trees incorporated in it. The top two examples have a script font for “Brown” which I imagine he likes because he has had hand painted work done for so long, but I kind of like the bottom logos as well. Believe it or not he doesn’t want to use the color brown at all (which I can kind of understand). What do you all think? Which one would you go with?

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Joe,
They all look good, but I'm leaning towards the bottom 2. I just like the look more because I would like my house to be built square and plumb. To narrow it down even further, I would pick the bottom right becasue that's the a common style of house being built lately.
The only thing I would be concerend with is how would the logos look when they're dumbed down for embroidery or non digital methods of reproduction. Your shades/shadows and effects may be difficult to reproduce in some media, especially embroidery.

Havin' fun,

Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Diaz   Author's Homepage   Email Joseph Diaz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I know what you mean. Usually I start in black in white and finish in color, because I was taught that if you can read the logo in black in white it will be a stronger logo, color or not. So if I need a simplified logo for embroidery work I can go back to black and white copies and not do all of the effects I use for printed work when choosing my colors. Or to save money he could just chose one color for his shirts and hats. Also we still have customers that refuse to go with printed graphics on their vehicles. They just like the look and feel of vinyl so that’s another good reason for 1 color.
 -

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Posts: 538 | From: Pontiac, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dale Manor
Resident

Member # 4858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dale Manor   Author's Homepage   Email Dale Manor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm liking the one just above here lower left....works well in one color and full color too. Not sure how much importance he is looking for with his first name, but it only shows up well on the one design. The W makes me think of gable peaks on a house roof.....

looks good Joe

--------------------
Dale Manor

Studio in the Sky
Minnesota

dalemanor@netscape.net

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

http://studiointhesky.weebly.com/
http://studiointhesky.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2120 | From: Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie DeBekker
Visitor
Member # 3848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billie DeBekker   Author's Homepage   Email Billie DeBekker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either one on the left. I do like the lower left a little more but it is kinda starting to look like a soup can Label

--------------------
Billie DeBekker
3rd Dimension Signs
Canon City Colorado 81212
719-276-9338
bill@3dsignco.com
www.3dsignco.com

"Another Fine Graduate of the Ray Charles School of Sign Painting."

Posts: 2530 | From: Canon City, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris OBrien
Visitor
Member # 5409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris OBrien   Author's Homepage   Email Chris OBrien       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with william, either one on the left, especially the lower one. On the lower left, the first name had a lot of punch, and fills up that negative space above the house, that is present on the lower right. On the top right, I think the colors compete too much with the lettering. Awesome job, it came out great.

--------------------
Chris O'Brien
Cape Cod, MA

Posts: 183 | From: Cape Cod MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the circular layout better, but if I had to pick one, it would be the lower left. They're all great though, and the colors are right on. Nicely done Joe!

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne McDonald
Visitor
Member # 6842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne McDonald   Email Anne McDonald       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
like everyone else I like the bottom left version, the top two you lose the word ralph

--------------------
Anne McDonald
17 Karnak Crescent
Russley
Christchurch 8042
New Zealand

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure"

Posts: 877 | From: Christchurch | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce & Deb Newton
Visitor
Member # 2312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce & Deb Newton   Email Bruce & Deb Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,

Looks like you "nailed it" with the lower left design. I would like to see it with just a little more breathing room in the margins - the copy seems to push to the edge of every panel.

Great colors.

Bruce

--------------------
Bruce & Deb Newton
Graphic Lettering
San Marcos, CA

Posts: 126 | From: San Marcos, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower left... hands down. It would look great as a dimensional sign... TRUE 3D.

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8739 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone seems to like the lower left but I'm not crazy about the house in that one. Nobody builds that type of house anymore. I like the contemporary house much better.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, my preference is for the circular layout...upper right. Reasons: Like Dave Sherby, I feel that the rendering of the house is more "contemporary" in feeling, and would in all likleyhood reflect what the builders are doing now and down the road, in terms of style.

There's also the consideration of reproduction economies. That one, in colour could be achieved with fewer press plates, and separations....resulting in a more economical bill from the printer, both initially, and for re-orders.

The black & white version also seems to work quite effectively, for the one-color ads.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2684 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Logan
Resident

Member # 6587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Logan   Email Brent Logan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the lower left too. I wonder if the shape would be more interesting without the blue rectangle?

--------------------
Brent Logan
Reno, NV

Posts: 919 | From: Reno, NV | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dana Blair
Resident

Member # 951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dana Blair   Author's Homepage   Email Dana Blair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Along the lines of the two different house types in the designs, which type of market does he target to build more of? The old style on the left is more for a standard builder, while the house on the right targets the upscale market.

--------------------
Dana Blair
Blair Signs
Wooster, OH
www.blairsigns.com

If sign makers go on strike, is there anything written on their picket signs?

Posts: 835 | From: Wooster, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Jantz
Resident

Member # 6137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Jantz   Author's Homepage   Email Jon Jantz       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what Dave Sherby said.

If you'd put the Ralph on top of the lower right, like it is on the lower left...

It'd be my favorite.

[ January 21, 2007, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Jon Jantz ]

--------------------
Jon Jantz
Snappysign.com
jjantz21@gmail.com
http://www.allcw.com

Posts: 3395 | From: Atmore, AL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Broussard
Visitor
Member # 935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Broussard   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Broussard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bottom right. The bottom left has the roof color too close to the banner color, in a sense, competing with each other. The bottom right "Brown" is more readable to me.

--------------------
Tony Broussard
Graphic Details Digital Media
Loreauville, LA

Posts: 395 | From: Loreauville, LA | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Diaz
Resident

Member # 5913

Thanks everyone… your comments are very helpful. Dale, I guess I never thought of the “w” representing gable peaks on a roof. Although I wish I did. It’s funny how some things just work out that way. As far as the different styles of houses go: he does new construction and renovating & remodeling of older homes. So, it’s a matter of which home style he likes more. There are quite a few homes in town that look close to the one pictured on the left examples but he showed me a photo of his own home and it looks closer to the ones on the right. Tony I understand what you are saying about the red on the roof, I actually tried a few different colors including browns, blacks and grays, but I just really like the red roof. I don’t know what it is.

And as far as the “Ralph” goes we actually discussed removing his first name all together. We discussed how he has multiple employees and he didn’t want it to seem like it was one guy. But ultimately he decided to keep it because he had been going by that name for such a long time, back when it was just him. So instead, we decided to downplay the first name but still include it. I guess it will be a matter of personal preference. Does he want his first name kind of small? Or super small? I plan on showing him all these examples and letting him decide. I assume he will pick certain things on one and certain things on the other, kind of like what you guys have done. Thanks again, I'm really learning so new stuff here.

GO BEARS!

--------------------
Joe Diaz
Diaz Sign Art
628 W. Lincoln Ave.
Pontiac, IL 61764
www.diazsignart.com

Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the one I liked. They were all nice BTW. [Smile]
I just put a little green in & centered the copy more with the hanging banner. I realize the banner is stark, but it seems to need something more on the bottom. [I Don t Know]

I love what you had, But also love to play around a bit with nice logos.

Thanks [Smile]
 -

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe -

Lower left, basically.....

But "Ralph" needs to be in closer proximity to "Brown." I don't mind a little separation, but it's too far away for my tastes.

The "W" is out-of-place - I don't like it's distorted appearance - - it makes me look right at the "W" and nothing else.

I'm with Dave Sherby on the house image - although I'd say I don't like either....the more "modern" looking house looks more like a strip mall facade to me than a house....I'd look for something different.

The banner is too humongous....and be careful...you have some nice designs beginning to emerge, but those bottom two make me want to make a sandwhich for some reason.....

A little tweaking and you'll have it....

Edit: I just realized I had said nothing positive about the designs...shame on me! I do like the sun rays - ala the Letterville logo - eminating from behind the house. And the fact that the logo and trees poke outside the stabilizing base shapes shows you think outside the box...nice job there. [Smile]

[ January 22, 2007, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Todd Gill ]

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joe.
Here's my opinion....
On the one with the script, use the straight house. The roof angle seems to be fighting the script angle. However, the more angled house is nicer looking. If you put "CONSTRUCTION" off to the right, beside the circle, that might look really good.
On both of those I would make "CONSTRUCTION" straight in a reversed panel. Again, the curve fights the angles.

Of the boxier ones, I prefer the right, but the ribbon needs to be dropped a bit lower, as you are losing the house. That roof might look nice if done in red. I think I'd also make that back panel a bit wider/shorter. I'd make the "Brown" plain white, or a grey gradient.

Both designs have lots of potential.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Something really appeals to me about bottom left.
If I was the client I would be very happy with all of them.. Great stuff.

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Posts: 43 | From: St Marys NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the bottom left.
Th only think I would tweak is maybe defining the rooflines on those dormers.
BUT..every one of these designs is a keeper in my book!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7404 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!