Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » rat rod striping

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rat rod striping
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
40 Chevy sedan done at a car show this weekend.

-

-

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael R. Bendel
Visitor
Member # 5847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael R. Bendel   Author's Homepage   Email Michael R. Bendel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what it needed... nice job

--------------------
Michael R. Bendel
Bendel Sign Co,. Inc.
Sauk Rapids, MN

Posts: 913 | From: Sauk Rapids, MN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Gill
Resident

Member # 2569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Gill   Email Todd Gill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow George! The symetry and design is a knockout! Awesome job.

--------------------
Todd Gill
Outside The Lines
Potterville, MI

Posts: 7792 | From: Potterville, MI | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jake snow
Resident

Member # 5889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jake snow   Author's Homepage   Email jake snow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man that is nice! Very nice job George.

--------------------
Snow's Sign Works
865-908-0076
snowman@planetc.com
www.snowsigns.com

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Posts: 1640 | From: Sevierville, TN | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clinton Cooper
Visitor
Member # 6802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clinton Cooper   Email Clinton Cooper       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMAZING WORK!!

--------------------
Clinton Cooper
General Manager
ASGI

Posts: 43 | From: St Marys NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is some great work George.

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't be that ratty ... I don't see a ding or spot of rust, barely a watermark on the chrome.
Does just painting a car flat black make it a rat rod?
Clean, tight designs.
Less is more ... very nice.

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George that is really beautiful!!! And very inspiring for me!

Want to ask... do you take a pattern with you to transfer to the vehicle, or do you draw it up with a stabilo? And if you use a pattern, do you pounce it on?

I "cranked out" a quickie panel for my brother late Saturday & gave it to him to hang in his new garage wall. Men seem to like "swirlie-striper" panels for their garages, & it is such good, fun practice!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

thewordinsigns@alltel.net

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Perkins
Resident

Member # 156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email George Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bobbie, I used fine line tape as guides on the headlights and a simple grid on the decklid. Since this car was primer, I used chalk for the grid, stabillos don't clean off primer very easily.

I sometimes use a pounce pattern on intricate designs on taligates. You can cheat and fold the pattern in two, or in quarters, layout one part and when you pounce it you will get a perfectly symetrical design. The drawback to using a pattern when striping is you tend to wipe the design off with your fingers. It's best to go over the pounce lines with a stabillo.

--------------------
George Perkins
Millington,TN.
goatwell@bigriver.net

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

www.perkinsartworks.com

Posts: 4322 | From: Millington, TN. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Sjoquist
Resident

Member # 4684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Craig Sjoquist   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Sjoquist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
inpirering and awesome .....THANK YOU & ENJOY LIFE

--------------------
Craig Sjoquist
http://www.592sign.net
3220 N.O.B.T
Orlando Fl. 407-592-7446 vikinwolf@gmail.com

Posts: 1588 | From: Orlando Fl. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobbie Rochow   Email Bobbie Rochow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you George, for the pointers. I really do appreciate them!

Hey, I am getting so inspired, like I don't want to quit! One night a couple of weeks ago, I was actually dreaming of myself striping, & in the dream, every line, every effert was close up, like I was learning in my sleep.

A customer gave me his mailbox to letter with vinyl, then last nite I went & put a nice swirlie design on it that I got from my Vector Art cd., & delivered it today. He really liked it!

The thing I find the hardest are the actual swirled circles! I watched Dan use a Swirlie Q brush on my box at the Zoo, then went & bought myself one, & can't get it to do that! Lol! Guess I have to keep at it!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Posts: 3485 | From: Jamestown, PA 16134 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rene Giroux
Resident

Member # 4980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rene Giroux   Author's Homepage   Email Rene Giroux   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Classy...

--------------------
Rene Giroux
Perfexion.ca
Gatineau, QC.

www.renegiroux.com

I'd rather regret things I did than things I didn't do!

Posts: 1875 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, George.

Bobbie - Isn't it funny how that works? I've bought those same brushes and never can seem to get them to work like I see the other guys doing. I must have got a defective brush!

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobbie Rochow
Resident

Member # 3341

I don't get the brushes to work like those guys do either! Someday.....

And Ray, I think I should have taken your hand lettering class at the Zoo, because I'm really shaky at that!!!!

--------------------
The Word in Signs
Bobbie Rochow
Jamestown, PA 16134

724-927-6471

Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
George, you do beautiful work. Your design and color choices really enhance the car. What kind of car is it?

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!