Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » How 'bout a how-to?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How 'bout a how-to?
Doug Phillips
Visitor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Phillips   Email Doug Phillips       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fumbled through how to do this tonight, it turned out ok, so I thought I'd share. Hope it makes sense.

-

--------------------
Doug Phillips
Denali Design Signs & Tees
Anchorage, Alaska

Posts: 316 | From: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool Doug. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to give that a try.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm totally grateful for this "how to".
It's so cool that you share your tricks with us like this ... with demos and all.

I do appreciate the effort, and the willingness to share.

[Smile]
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Chrimes
Resident

Member # 5864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Chrimes   Author's Homepage   Email James Chrimes       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got my $50.00 back in knowlege. Thanks
A simple trick that will work great on business cards and letterheads. Do you think that this effect could be pulled off on a t-shirt with one or two colors screenprinted?

--------------------
JIM CHRIMES
BACON GRAPHICS
56 SUMMIT ROAD
NEWPORT, NH 03773
bacongraphics.com

Posts: 283 | From: Newport, NH | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Excellent! Thank you for this! Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Cool Doug, Thanks!!
I couldnt resist giving it a try already!

Stevo

-

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arthur Vanson
Deceased

Member # 2855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arthur Vanson   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Vanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! many thanks.

--------------------
Arthur Vanson
Bucks Signs
Chesham, Buckinghamshire,
England
arthur@buckssigns.co.uk
--------------------

Posts: 805 | From: Chesham, Bucks, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice Doug! Thanks.
So if you wanted to use this effect in a screenprint how does it come across.
I'm thinking that some method of doing the fades that had the line widths tapering out to nothing where you wanted them to fade would work better for that application.
How would you do that?
Robin, do you see where I am headed? [Wink]

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep it works in screenprinting- you have control over how big the lines are when you draw them.

Kelly- the simpiliest way I have found to get the tapered lines is to print the halftones out in "postscript" using "line" as halftone type, set the angle to 0 or 90 degrees (whichever suits your look) and then bump the line screen down to a low number to make the lines larger.

Hopefully that makes sense

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1736 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I understand, halftones are pretty new to me, though I need to get them figured in order to use my photoresist stencils to full capacity. Is there a halftones for dummies book? [Wink]
Are we both talking the same type of fade for starters. I'm looking for this effect.
 -
Sorry it is small - but each line tapers to a point.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly- half tones aren't any foreign language, but take a bit of getting used to when you're not familiar with them.

Newspapers can print only solid colour, 100% or nothing, zero%. Grey is not an option like it is in an inkjet printer or on a photo. Screen printing is similar- you can lay down colour, or no colour that's it.

For solid text etc that's fine. If you would like a photo, or a fade through shades of grey, the picture needs to be reduced to solid dots of varying sizes with varying amounts of white space around them. That's how you percieve greys & photos in newspapers.

These dots are called half tones- as the effect is a tone of say half intensity of balck- or something like that.

Ideally you need a post script driver for your printer, which is ideally a laser printer. The driver gives you the option of setting the line screen angle, dot size/frequency, dot shape (square, circular, elliptical, diamond or custom shape,etc). Then the printer driver generates a file where a photo with greys is turned into a halftone picture with varying sizes of 100% black dots to give you light & dark greys etc.

There are other ways of getting there too, but they're a bit harder to learn & don't give as much control as a Postsrcipt printer driver.

(Ghostscript is one option, if you only have an inkjet printer & want to output halftones- but it takes a bit of learning...be warned!)

There are halftone filter/render settings (or something) in Photoshop, but they're a bit limited...

Hope that helps!

edit to add- Good post, Doug- thanks!

[ January 26, 2006, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Your talent and abilities are a welcome addition to Letterville. Thanks for stepping up to the plate and helping others. This is why I hang around this joint. I look forward to all of your contributions. Lets see if we can infect this place with a design virus that will educate and run amuk!

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!