Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Yet more gratuitous use of ESOTERIC....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yet more gratuitous use of ESOTERIC....
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A set of truck door signs we recently designed

-

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This feels upside down to me - like the 'a' should be on top instead of the bottom.

You like Esoteric as much as I like Trajan... but now my new favorite is Dispatch.

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, Barry!
(but I agree with Dan- I suppose being heaviest, the faux stone bit sank to the bottom [Wink] )

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
doggone it guys! Itried it the other way! really did, and this just suits me better. haven't shown the client yet....so we'll see.....

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not knowing the Customers particulars, I'd flip the panel over, leaving the "a" at the top to attract the reader then lead them through the message. Then I would make the name stronger and stone less prominent. The word Supply is also stretched beyond readability in my eyes.

If all else fails I would lay it out nicely and then draw a panel to fit and compliment the text versus trying to stretch the letters to fit a panel. I would lastly use color to make some of the text take different levels of importance. All the text being white makes it all jump out at you at the same time.

With a little tweaking it would be a great piece of advertising for your customer.

[ May 26, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Bob Rochon ]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always find 2 phone numbers a challenge, if you take the 3-5 second rule seriously then 2 phone numbers is a failure waiting to happen. With the onset of 10 digit numbers it is hard enough to remember 10 numbers in 3-5 seconds never mind 20.

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Barry . . . it does look good . . .

But Ro makes a valid point . . .so, why not condense the letters just a tad and wide-space the word 'supply' to stretch it out? . . .

And, uh . . .
I think the 'A' would look good on top too . . . .

[Razz] [Big Grin]

You could delete the black outlines on the phone numbers so they would look more spaced and do them in light grey. . .
It's truck doors. People will write down phone numbers off'a truck so the #'s don't have to be prominent or compete with other colours.. . .

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

I do like the mosaic pattern behind the A

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been up since 4 - so I have an excuse when I say that I didn't even notice the "A" until I started reading the posts...

Ummm... I was really drooling over the rest of it, though!

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the others said. One phone number and put the attractive A on top.
I'm getting to share the same opinion of my beloved Arthur Vanson as to Prismatic lettering being the new Brush Script.
Oh no! I think I caught the Esoteric disorder too!
Is there any known cure?
Love....Jill
 -

[ May 27, 2005, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Jill Marie Welsh ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ May 26, 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Barry Branscum ]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ May 26, 2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Stevo Chartrand ]

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ May 26, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Bowers ]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6460 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I guess I missed the heated exchange. [Smile]

I think the design has a lot of nice things going, including the prismatic lettering. I agree that prismatic lettering can be overdone, but I don't see this as one of those instances.

I like the "A" in front of the stones, but I don't see the purpose for the lines above and below. I think they complicate without adding anything.

I would like to see what the rules would look like either solid black or solid white. There seems to be too much black outlining, especially on the numbers where it doesn't show up well.

It bothers me to see the phone numbers coming out wider than STONE. Seems like they ought to be smaller to keep them justified with STONE.

The stretching of SUPPLY is too much. Also, the top and bottom of the S are barely there.

I can see where the design could be perceived as top heavy, but it really doesn't bother me much. I don't think I would like it flipped over. I actually like the "A" on the bottom.

The color choices look good to me, and I really like the stonework look. The scroll in the "A" could probably be removed.

There are a number of things I would change, but I like the direction it's going.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
barry asks for opinions but can't handle any critiques...i guess when we see a thumbs up on his own posts that means he thinks they are great and you should too. [Roll Eyes] [Rolling On The Floor]

[ May 27, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell are you talking about Karen? My little blank space above this post?

I don't know what you think its about, but I did that as a joke, and Bruce did too, I think. I can't speak for Stevo... Mine never did have any comment.

THE BLANK SPACE WAS MY COMMENT. Yours would have seemed more intelligent if you had done the same.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats right my mistake...you send little private messages to people telling them to lay off(if they don't think u r great) and ranting 2am phone messages??? guess you forget about time zones for some folks...i won't go into names but you know the 4 i'm speaking of.

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

you know, Karen...you're right. I bow to your superior wisdom, and the classy way you argue in public.

If you wanna talk to me anymore about this, lets make it a PM.

Myself, I'd prefer for the two of us to go back to pretending one another didn't exist. [Smile]

[ May 27, 2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Barry Branscum ]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll just get back to the layout and ignore the petty stuff. Yes it looks a little heavy on the bottom but not bad, if you move that "A" to the top they are going to think its called "A Alco Stone Supply" which will lead to name confusion - not a good thing.

--------------------
Brian Stoddard
Northwest Signs

brian@nwsigns.com
www.nwsigns.com

Posts: 790 | From: Monroe, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Stevo and I were just funnin'...

Hey, we crack ourselves up! Hahahahahahaha!

Time to go cook some weinies! Woo hoo!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6460 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I want Chinese!!!" [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah soooooooooooooo.... [Wink]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Frank Magoo
Resident

Member # 3950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank Magoo   Email Frank Magoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AM NOT !!! [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor] [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Frank Magoo,
Magoo's-Las Vegas; fmagoo@netzero.com
"the only easy day was yesterday"

Posts: 2365 | From: Las Vegas, Nv. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Hahahahahahahahaha! [Rolling On The Floor]

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

Saint Cloud, Minnesota

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!