Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Design for a Clothing store...which one, or neither??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Design for a Clothing store...which one, or neither??
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey gang...thought I'd post one I wasn't completely sold on myself...I like it, but I can't "see" it, if you get my drift...looking I guess for some perspective...

The colors are the customers choice, and she may be on too tight a budget to go with the fancier design, as she will need three of these..2x16 feet...

Looking for any comments or suggestions.

-

Thanks!

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet Bakewell
Visitor
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet Bakewell   Author's Homepage   Email Janet Bakewell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Barry.

I actually like the top one best. The fonts seem to work with each other better - it's nice and bold, clean, and very friendly.

--------------------
Janet Bakewell
One Sun Grafiks Inc.
Slave Lake, AB Canada
www.onesungrafiks.com

Posts: 128 | From: Slave Lake, AB Canada | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the blends on the bottom one both in the lettering and in the background.

Are they going to be flat or dimensional?

-grampa dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ McMullin
Resident

Member # 5617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ McMullin   Author's Homepage   Email Russ McMullin       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The top one looks pretty good. It reads quicker than the bottom one and seems "friendlier". The bottom one would indicate womens western wear to me. The yellow is not really working in the bottom one.

There are points of tangency on the left side of the D that create some visual confusion.

--------------------
Russ McMullin
Tooele, UT
www.mcmullincreative.com

My mind wanders. And that's not a good thing, 'cause it's too small to be out there alone.

Posts: 3129 | From: Tooele, UT | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan--NOPE. Just flat painted on Dibond.

Russ--if we do the bottom one, the "yellow" would be a durable Imitation hammered leaf product I have had good results with in the past, and you are right about the confusion under the D and I will probably just omit the striping there.

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Bierce
Visitor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Bierce   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Bierce       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the top one.

I agree that the font on the bottom one looks very "western".

--------------------
Paul Bierce - Designer
pabierce@hotmail.com
www.paulbierce.com

Posts: 330 | From: Dix Hills, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the top choice, the panel is too formal for the casual lettering.
In the bottom choice, even faux gold would clash, and it does look like more of a western wear boutique. The "Deb's" is too casual for the lettering on FASHION OUTLET.
I would opt for the top but change the casual alphabet into something sans serif with dignity like Arthur Vansons's American Sans. The "Deb's" script would match it nicely.
As a woman, I would not want to shop in a real "casual" type store, I would want a more contemporary feel. Even if it is an outlet!
Love....Jill
edited to add this:
 -

[ April 28, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Jill Marie Welsh ]

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Ursta
Visitor
Member # 1738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan Ursta   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Ursta   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, change the top "Fashion Outlet" font to somthing else, it's too cartoony. Other than that, it looks great Barry. I love the panel.

-Ryan

--------------------
Ryan Ursta
Ursta Graphics
116 B North Mercer Avenue
Sharpsville Pa. 16150
Call: 724•962•2206
"We make YOU look good"

Known as "Ugraph" on mirc

Posts: 558 | From: Sharpsville Pa. USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great revamp Jill! I like your choice of letterstyles. I like the stripes in the background on Barry's first version, but I agree that the copy was too "cartoony" for the formal background.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree JIll. Good Job. Your revamp screams "sensible chic" to me. Sometimes I try too hard.

I will definitely incorporate a lot of that into a retooled version. thanks for your time!

[ April 28, 2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Barry Branscum ]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Philip Steffen
Visitor
Member # 2235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip Steffen   Email Philip Steffen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry, I usually try wearing a dress when I design a sign for a women's st....wait...can everyone see this...

--------------------
Phil Steffen,
29 Van Rensselaer St
City of Saratoga Springs DPW
Saratoga Springs NY 12866

Posts: 563 | From: beautiful Saratoga Springs NY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

hahahahah

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philip, I don't even want to know what you wear when you design for a woman's lingerie shop. [Rolling On The Floor]

I like Jill's font choice, but I like the stripes in the top one.

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here: I like Jill's fonts but with stripes in the background, and I'd like to see just a little bit more contrast between the light and dark teal.
Gonna be a nice sign.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1962 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Philip nice shade of purple your wearing [Razz]

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the top font either. To me it just looks cheap - cheap - cheap, likey junky cheap. Jill's font is a nice switch but I do like either of your backgrounds.

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5396 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Gee Dave, what do you REALLY think?? [Smile]

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry, what "durable hammered imitaton leaf product" are you referring to?

Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Ken, I was referring to a staple around our shop: (shudder) AVERY imitation Hammered gold leaf. We have been using it, without failure for better than 6 years. Great stuff, if a little tricky to weed. And unlike certain other products, the silver's great too....

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Barry, I been using avery for a while and
no complaints I'll have to look at the hammered
gold. I also have been sticking intermediate on back of 18 wheelers with no failure for the last 2 years--Oracal believe it or not. My mentor was using it. I now have been gradually moving to premium and acquiring a reputation for good signs
rather than cheap signs. Fortunately my shop is part time.
I'll try the gold--can't be any worse than Nikalite reflective 1 inch letters.
Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!