Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Goldleaf/vinyl windows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Goldleaf/vinyl windows
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been messing with a method of applying gold to vinyl and then putting it on windows.

This one was done last fall.
 -

Yesterday I installed my second project.

-

The words Certified General Accountant don't stand out as well as I'd like. I will probably return to the scene of the crime and change that, just not sure how... Perhaps a fine gold outline?

In a nutshell here is the process.

Before cutting all vinyl I cleaned it well with Rapid Prep.
I cut the gold colored lettering from a gold vinyl (on one I used metallic on the other I didn't). Before weeding, I sized with 1-shot fast size. Once it had set up to tacky stage I weeded the excess vinyl.
When the size was ready I gilded with 23K leaf.
I allowed the gild to set for a couple of days and then masked with TransferRite Ultra, Medium Tack clear transfer tape.
I cut the background (outline) of HP vinyl and applied the gilded lettering.
I then applied the lettering/ striping to the window wet.

I discussed the pros and cons of clearing with the clients and both chose not to clear.

The jury is still out on these, I'll feel alot more confident after a year or two. I gave both clients a heads up that this was a new idea and hadn't been really tested. I think the clients got an option to a high priced product with good results and I have said I would warantee the work for three years.

I love the look of this complete with the imperfections of hand gilding, it doesn't have the machined or plastic look of some of the alternatives, and it is a good option for tinted, frosted or double paned windows.

I plan on doing one of my shop windows ASAP so I can monitor the durability.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly,

Those look beautiful! I agree that a gold outline on the Certified... would bring out those letters very well.

This is a great idea and sounds much simpler than doing glass gilding (which i have done but not well... [Smile] )

I'm surprised that, even though you let the gild set a few days that the transfer tape doesn't damage the gild.

Question: What type of gold vinyl do you use? Do you use gold vinyl to cover any holidays (i assume any vinyl would work??

Thanks,
Steve

[ April 26, 2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Steve Racz ]

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steve,
I'm not sure what you mean by using vinyl to cover gold holidays?
I used 23K Monarch Glass leaf.
Because this is on a solid background, the holidays are not as apparent. I did some patching and I would suggest not doing that unless it is really bad, and then you should probably regild the entire letter. I might be tempted to double gild if the client is willing to pay. The next time I do it it will be an option.
This can't compete with a real water gilded window, I doubt anything can. [Smile]
But for a middle of the road alternative I think it is great.
As far as the masking - I confess the first job I didn't wait more than a couple of hours and it survived. If you want to try the process I would suggest making an extra sample piece that you can try your masking on first.

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a neat idea Kelly, with fantastic results....hmmm...now I'm eyeing up my glass shop door!!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Branscum
Visitor
Member # 445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Branscum   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Branscum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you didn't put the gilded vinyl in a place where it needed to stretch or be distorted...that is a pretty cool Idea!!!

--------------------
Barry Branscum

Master's Touch
DESIGNS
www.masterstouchsigns.com

no, my signshop website is not finished....still.

218 Hwy 65 B
Clinton, AR

Posts: 2500 | From: Clinton, AR USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Kelly - i meant the other way around i.e. if you apply real gold to the gold vinyl, the gold vinyl will hide any holidays. Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks great on the pictures!

I'll be watching for your "reports" on the durability of this method. I'd be most worried about damage when the window gets cleaned.

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very shnazzy (is that how you spell shnazzy?).

I did a vinyl job for someone recently with yellow text, and I am not pleased with how well the lettering stands out.

I have been thinking about gilding the vinyl to make it stand out more, and now I just might do it.

Thanks for sharing.

It looks very classy, and professional.

Peace out,
Bob

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1878 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job, Kelly!

It is nice to see people trying something different. It certainly did take the sterile edge of cut vinyl.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6454 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kissymatina
Resident

Member # 2028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kissymatina   Author's Homepage   Email Kissymatina   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kelly. Like I needed more projects to experiment on... [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Welker
Wildfire Signs
Indiana, Pa

Posts: 4254 | From: Indiana, PA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't a lot of experience with gold leaf other than leafing plastic letters. What are the advantages to this process over Signgold and are the letters on the door durable enough to withstand the touching that will occur?
ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks,

Ken, I'm not in any way knocking SignGold.
The method I used produced a different look in my opinion, the finish is a softer more satin look. That is a personal preference of mine. I tend to favour rich metallic glow looks over shiney ones. If cleared I would probably use a mat clear.

SignGold isn't a product I have in stock, whereas goldleaf is something I use a fair amount of. The cost of the gold amounted to under $70, I think the SignGold would have been considerably more, although with the added labour it probably would have been cheaper.

Plus I'm always wanting to try new stuff. I have this mad scientist streak in me and this beats the heck out of experimenting on small animals (just kidding I'd never do that).

As far as the door is concerned I know the client and this is on a rural property - it won't be a problem there.

I'm more concerned with the larger window, but I've been told that gold is very durable and so I gave it a go. It is good to have clients willing to take a risk with you. If it becomes a problem the lettering will be replaced and I will have learned something. Truth be told I have more confidence in it than a clear.

If I were to do this on a vehicle I would have an automotive clear sprayed over top.
I've been thinking about making some scroll type ornaments and clearing them.

[ April 30, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Thorson ]

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Ken Holden
Visitor
Member # 5653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Holden   Email Ken Holden       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info..The signs look great and my brothers's flower shop door is gonna have gold on it soon..he just doesn't know it yet!
Ken

--------------------
Ken Holden
7 Oaks Signs
18457 Hwy 22
Ponchatoula, LA 70454

Posts: 144 | From: Ponchatoula, LA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly....
You are a krazy risk-taking-free-thinking Sign Chick! Woo Hoo! It sounds like a lot of work, but the results sure look purty.
Love....Jill

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Besserman
Visitor
Member # 5502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sid Besserman   Email Sid Besserman       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love those pioneers. Great job Kelly and thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Sid Besserman
Sid Besserman Pinstriping & Graphics
Old Westbury,NY
Striper7@optonline.net

Posts: 46 | From: Long Island | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy Paul Taylor
Visitor
Member # 4441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy Paul Taylor   Email Jeremy Paul Taylor       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderfull work Kelly & what a great idea

--------------------
JEREMY PAUL TAYLOR
CABURN ST LEONARDS COURT
FORRES,MORAYSHIRE,
SCOTLAND

Posts: 73 | From: Morayshire Scotland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray MacDonald
Visitor
Member # 3558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Murray MacDonald   Email Murray MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happened to be at Kelly's shop and saw the "experimentation"...looks even better in "real time"! Hey, Kel, I'm gonna try that on my van windows...whadya' think?
MUR

--------------------
Murray MacDonald
OldTime Signs
529 Third Ave S
Kenora, ON.
P9N 1Y3
oldtimesigns@gokenora.com

Posts: 781 | From: Kenora, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheila Ferrell
Resident

Member # 3741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheila Ferrell   Email Sheila Ferrell       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelly! That is an awesome idea! It needs to be named after you!
Mabey call it: 'Kelly Gilding'...no, wait....
'The Thorson Vinyl-Gilding Technique'...I like it! [Smile]

--------------------
Signs
Sweet Home Alabama

oneshot on chat

"Look like a girl, act like a lady, think like a man, work like a dog"

Posts: 5758 | From: "Sweet Home" Alabama | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Thanks again for the feedback.

Murray, what I think is you better not blame me if it doesn't work [Wink] I think I'd clear it for a vehicle, but your shop vehicle is a good way to try it out.

Sheila that won't be neccesary, thanks [Razz]

I'm going back this week to redo the secondary text with an outline or just gold with no blue behind it so it shows up. Any suggestions as to which would look better?

--------------------

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!