Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Makeover on the pickup...first attempt at Tru Fire flames.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Makeover on the pickup...first attempt at Tru Fire flames.
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got a chance to try my hand at Mike Lavalee style flames this past weekend on the bottom of my truck...thanks Joey for the link to the "how to".

-

Pretty happy with the result, especially the attempt to make the flames look like they are hitting the bottom edge of the stripes.

The "Brushwood Studios" is ripple holographic film and the phone numbers are Signgold. Stripes were done by bagging pearlescent blue and bright red with plastic wrap. Center caps are done with annodized blue paint.

Guess I better get going on the other side, huh? [Dunno]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
North Haverhill, NH 03774
rapidfiredesign@hotmail.com
603-787-6803

I like my paint shaken, not stirred.

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hunt
Visitor
Member # 4637

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dave Hunt   Email Dave Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job with the flames Ray.
Pass along the "how to" link if you don't mind....
Can't wait to see the truck in person!
[Applause]

--------------------
Dave Hunt
Derby Line, VT

Posts: 157 | From: Derby Line, VT | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Williams
Resident

Member # 4372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ray
Just a note, I would like the how to link also.
My friend and I have been wanting to flame his 68 SS Camero.
Ray

--------------------
Ray Williams
Key Advertising /Signs by Ray
301 Elberon Court
Chesapeake Va.
keyadvertising1@cox.net

Posts: 26 | From: Chesapeake Va. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillbeans
Resident

Member # 1912

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Jillbeans   Author's Homepage   Email Jillbeans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niiiiice work Rabid!
Love...Jill

--------------------
That is like a Mr. Potato Head with all the pieces in the wrong place.
-Russ McMullin

Posts: 8834 | From: Butler, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Het Rapid...can't see S** in that pic....how's this?

-

[Dunno]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8827 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stunning!
Nice job!

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Rheaume   Email Ray Rheaume   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Si...rotten pic. Took it and posted in a hurry.

-

Better?

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Posts: 5648 | From: North Haverhill, New Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harris Kohen
Visitor
Member # 2139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harris Kohen   Email Harris Kohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SaWeeeeeeeeeeeet!

see you soon Bro!

--------------------
Harris Kohen
K-Man Pinstriping
and Graphix
Trenton, NJ
"Showing the world that even
I can strategically place the
pigment where its got to
go."

Posts: 1739 | From: Trenton, NJ, USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray that turned out real hot!!!!

Hey, I need that link!!!

MIGHT have a job coming up here soon, want to practise a bit.

A:)

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------
"Sure, it's colder in the Northwest, but...it's a damp cold!"

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray, those flames are so real I would keep the fire extingwisher handy. Top of the line quality.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just going to say the same thing- you'll draw complaints from the crowd about how dangerous it is to drive with all that fire about!

(Flamin' beautiful!)

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura Butler
Visitor
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura Butler   Email Laura Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really cool. Where's the link.

--------------------
Laura Butler
Vision Graphics & Sign
4479 Welch Rd
Attica, Mi 48412

Posts: 2855 | From: Attica, Mi, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard there was a step by step in an airbrush mag...anyone got one I can borrow?
Or, how can I get/order a copy?

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Posts: 4868 | From: Port Angeles, Washington, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ray, those flames are HOT HOT HOT!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No replies so far about the source of the info?

Tyr the September/October 2002 AutoGraphics magazine, (vol.5,No.1) pages 8 to 14, a 'how-to' by some old geezer called Lavallee. (www.autographicsmag.com)

(there, did I let the cat out of the bag, or is there a better set of guidelines, other than what other heads (or Spike) have written about Mike's sequences of colour?)

Edit- I should add that the 'old geezer' in question was good enough to handout a few copies of this very good magazine when he & Rhonda came over to LetterheadsOz at Jordan Signs in Sydney in 2002, and he gave us all a demo by flaming Army Dave's (Dave O'Hanlon's) walla tank. He makes it look so easy!

Edited again to add This Link to the order page for backissues of thatAutographics magazine.

Edited still further to post Link to Mike'sHow To on the BB from March this year.

(think I'd better get back to work before my wife edits me with cross hatches.....)

[ July 30, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Ian Stewart-Koster ]

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7014 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Thanks for the links, Ian. I bumped them up to the BB and Joey has also posted the link form the signweb.com site that he sent to me initially. I'd unintenionally deleted his email with it and could not easily find it again.

just want to go on record...

Mike specifies the paint materials to be used in detail, and the process is done entirely before any clearcoat is used on the vehicle.

Given the choice, I would have preferred to do it as he describes, but it would have meant having to do some major repainting of the truck by a body shop beforehand. A little too costly for a first attempt and I drive the truck all the time and could not afford the downtime it would have needed.
Given those circumstances, I actually did not use the materials Mike names, but went in a very different direction due to it being done over an exsisting clearcaot finish.

Please understand that this was not a spur of the moment thing. Despite 25+ years of aibrushing, I still spent a lot of time thinking this through, researching the idea, talking it over with some fellow Letterheads at live meets, and still had to build up the courage to do it.
I'm also willing to accept that it could fall of or become easily damaged and am willing to accept the cost of fixing it should it turn out bad.
I would never do this on a customer's vehicle!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress the fact enough that the materials Mike uses are top of the line, designed specifically for vehicle painting, involve experience working with and are much more effective. They also require added safety concerns and those should not be taken lightly.

Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Adrienne Pereira
Visitor
Member # 1046

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Adrienne Pereira   Email Adrienne Pereira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all that said..is it possible to do this with Createx?

I want to give it a try, I'm just real sensitive to anything solvent based, and being perpetually broke, I can't afford all the set up I would need to do it safely.

I sure would like to give it a try.

--------------------
Adrienne Pereira
Splash Signs

Port Angeles, WA
----------------

360-477-5656
splashsigns@msn.com

Mike Lavallee
Visitor
Member # 320

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Lavallee   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Lavallee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Job Ray! and you did it without the paints I wrote about to boot! the colors look right and I think you did a great job! Mike [Applause]

--------------------
Work like you don't need the money, Love like you've never been hurt, And Dance like no one's watching. :)
Mike Lavallee
Mike Lavallee's Pinstriping & Airbrush Art
Everett, WA

Posts: 449 | From: Everett, WA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Rheaume
Resident

Member # 3794

Thanks all for the compliments...especially the "Fire Man" himself.

Ya just made my day, Mike. [Wink]
Rapid

--------------------
Ray Rheaume
Rapidfire Design
543 Brushwood Road
603-787-6803

Donald Thompson
Resident

Member # 3726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donald Thompson   Author's Homepage   Email Donald Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Ray, Real Nice!!!!

Now do me a panel with some of them

--------------------
Donald Thompson
#1 Sign Designs
580 Templeton Rd.
Laurens,SC 29360
864-682-7810
1signdesigns@backroads.net
www.1signdesigns.com

Posts: 1525 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Duckett
Visitor
Member # 4505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Duckett   Email John Duckett       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Great, Ray!

--------------------
John Duckett
Strike Creative
Greenwood, South Carolina

Posts: 277 | From: Greenwood, SC | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Donald... get in line... Hahahahaha!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Racz
Visitor
Member # 4376

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Racz   Email Steve Racz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful job Rapid!!! [Applause]

--------------------
Steve Racz
Racz's Handcarved Signs

Posts: 1078 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!