Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Comfort & Joy ("Burning Man" project)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comfort & Joy ("Burning Man" project)
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every year I help out somebody with a sign for Burning Man. This year, some friends have a collective camp called "Comfort & Joy". They had a piece of 4x8 plywood, and $40...

I bought a piece of 2" thick blue insulation foam, and some mis-matched latex house paints ($1/quart at Home Depot). The labor was a gift to them. Mostly, it was just some fun. I'm not able to make it to a Letterhead meet this summer, so I had a mini-meet all by myself and knocked this out.

Any project where I get to use pink, orange and purple is a fun project!

What did I learn? Never to use house paint or CDX. The plywood sucks up paint (yes, I used primer) and the damn orange took 3 coats to cover white primer. (Behr Premium). I squished the letters to make 'em taller, and in hindsight, I think it would have been fine with smaller letters (but they said they wanted 300 foot legibility).

Anyway, they liked it, and with the 2" thick letters, it will still be legible when covered with the white chalk dust that covers everything at Burning Man. I won't be going, but my work is.
 -

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks cool!
what is "burning man"?

--------------------
Doug Allan
http://www.islandsign.com

"you get what you settle for"

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jed Pedersen
Visitor
Member # 2344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jed Pedersen   Author's Homepage   Email Jed Pedersen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Here's a link that shows what burning man is.

-
Burning Man

Takes Desert Rave to a whole new level.... [Cool]

--------------------
Jed Pedersen
Graphic Air
157W 300N
Malad, Idaho 83252

Posts: 166 | From: S.E. Idaho | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug Allan   Author's Homepage   Email Doug Allan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Scooter, & Jed! I have spent much time checking out that web site. I want to experience that very much. I wish I could go there now. I hate to admit it here, but in a way that has almost as much draw for me as a letterhead meet.

Here's another pretty cool image I found through Jed's link:

-

Burning Man sounds a lot like an organized & slightly more mainstream rainbow gathering of which I've attended about 5 over the years. For any who haven;t heard of these, check out "Rainbow Gathering"

-

Also the name kind of reminded me of ZOZOBRA a traditional ceremony in Santa Fe where the "man of gloom" is set on fire.

[ August 23, 2003, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Doug Allan ]

--------------------
Doug Allan

Posts: 8981 | From: Kahului, HI, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW-"burning" anybody down here in the south is now frowned upon! [Wink]

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1737 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

lol

--------------------
Doug Allan

Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when has "Burning Man" become like a "Rainbow gathering"??? It is more of a drunken, drugged up debauchery...than anything else!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob McCauley
Visitor
Member # 2735

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Rob McCauley   Email Rob McCauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's kinda what I heard too Si. Lots-o-naked folks wearing body paint, throw in fire and techno music, a little X and you're all set! [Wink]

If my church had get togethers like that I'd be there with bells on every Sunday [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Pretty cool low-dough sign there too Scooter [Razz] How'd ya cut the letters? Router, by hand...?

--------------------
Rob McCauley

Production Manager
Archway Graphic Designs
a Division of Sign Express, Inc.
www.signexpress.tv
Little Rock, Ar
--- The most beautiful thing about a tree is what you do with it after you cut it down. ;-)

Posts: 53 | From: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Allan
Resident

Member # 2247

quote:
It is more of a drunken, drugged up debauchery...than anything else!

If you're talking about the Rainbow gathering in this quote, then I agree (although the alcohol is more scarce then the drugs & debauchery)...

...but if you're talkin' about the "Burning Man", well then they are more similar then I thought.

--------------------
Doug Allan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!