Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Web Site CHANGED AGAIN (Read my top post please)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web Site CHANGED AGAIN (Read my top post please)
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I changed a lot of things again and I reduced the sizes of the gallery pictures almost in half. Would those with dial-up connections please recheck and see if things are loading better (average for dial-up). Thanks!

Here it is...
www.ambodesign.com

[ March 21, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Amy Brown ]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Cox
Visitor
Member # 3517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks great! I love the colors used... the green, black, and gold really work well together... Load time is unnoticeable... but I am on DSL...

looks great!

--------------------
--------------------
Dave Cox
C2 Media Services (Formerly That Sign Guy)
dave@c2mediaservices.com
--------------------
Full Color Printing

Posts: 295 | From: Sacramento CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, I agree,,, the clean black background is a great choice to get full potential of out your photography. Loads fast with DSL. Hope you can load it up this year....

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice looking site ... you do some nice signs too.

The gallery pages do hang though ... time depends on how many images your preloading for each slide show...
when I click "faux antiques" it took about 20 seconds before the page even switched ... the "sandblasted" page over a minute before "any" activity.

Dialed on around 50k

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill riedel
Resident

Member # 607

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bill riedel   Author's Homepage   Email bill riedel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. Your work has elegance and class.

--------------------
Bill Riedel
Riedel Sign Co., Inc.
15 Warren Street
Little Ferry, N.J. 07643
billsr@riedelsignco.com

Posts: 2953 | From: Little Ferry, New Jersey, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,

At 45333 bps, it took about 30 secs to load main page. I tried your sandblasted page & 1st pic loaded in about a minute & after a couple more minutes of waiting, the other pics never showed.
Sorry I didn't stick around to wait. Looks good otherwise. Easy to read & navigate.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy! Wow! I really love your new look!

Call me lazy but I adore your gallery! Not only all the fabulous work you've done, but the way I can sit there and hit the arrow button. I don't have to race around in circles with the mouse to go through your site. I think it's perty much flawless!

You have done an exquisite job with every aspect your site! The black background not only looks really sharp with your logo and your photographs, I realized that it was probably easier to match backgrounds when you uploaded them to the site. What a genius you are turning out to be!

We get to say "We knew you when!"

Your site really exemplifies a talented individual with a strong eye for design and exceptional taste! I am just SO impressed!

Miss Amy, I dare say you've done Dixie proud!

[Smile]

OOPS...I can't give a dial-up reading...but on cable, this puppy rocks!

[ March 22, 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: Linda Silver Eagle ]

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! Guess the whole world needs High Speed Internet to take advantage of the new technologies. I'll try to work on the loading but there isn't much I can do. None of the pictures are over 30K so I don't know what the problem is???

: [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I'm back on dial-up this week so far, as my dsl is down.

The slideshows took a very long time to load.
The good news is, that once it is loaded, the photos are very snappy in their presentation.
It goes very swift after the initial load.

One suggestion I'd make is to have your logo more apparent on each page.
I know you have it on the bottom, but smaller screens need to scroll to see it.
I would like to see it even small on the page somewhere, so that you are always reminded of your company name while browsing your great stuff!

Nice site!!!, Nice work!!!
Nettie

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice site Amy!!

You have some really nice work posted! Makes me want to get at a website.

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy,

What you could do is mention on the slow (dialup) loading pages that it might take a while to load & ask that they be patient because its well worth the wait; or something like that.

Although I can't explain how, you could set up a preloader to kick in when a dialup connection is attempting to load pages. It could show increasing percentages at spaced out intervals
until it reaches 100% & loads. It would let them know that something IS happening & that they are not just stuck somewhere.

Sounds like it might be the slideshow, that some have mentioned, that's causing the delay. Is that some sort of plugin that if everybody had already, there would be no delay?

Just asking.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again everyone!

Bill, Tony B. told me about the slide show yesterday. It is a javascript which was created using Dreamweaver Extensions. I'm not very good with it so I won't act like I know how it works!!

The javascript has it preloading images which is causing the slow load I guess. I don't know how to change it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Impressive site, Amy.
I didn't have to much trouble with loading the site and I have painfully slow internet service. The only thing that took longer than I normally have patience for was the sandblasted & 3-D Gallery (almost 2 mins). The other galleries all loaded quickly (5 - 15 secs).
Perhaps you could split that gallery into 2 parts to speed it up. I think the work there is more than enticing enough to get people to view them both, and it would be a shame to have people miss that because it takes too long to load. I think it contains your most impressive work - not that it isn't all impressive! Great testimonials, very asthetic and professional design. Great Job!!!!!

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice Amy.

THe work is presented in as professional a way as it is done.

Im a fan!

-dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8738 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alan Ackerson
Visitor
Member # 3224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alan Ackerson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Ackerson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The site looks great Amy,

Love the Brewer's Bold!!! Might be my new favorite font. lol.

There are a few tricks you may be able to pull for the download time issue, you may already be well aware of these.

Check file sizes when exporting to jpg.(photos) or .gif (graphics/fonts). Sometimes there is a big difference between the two when exporting the same image in the different formats. 72dpi is the way to go.

When exporting to .gif you can use the interlace option. This will place the image in the page at a lower resolution and just redraw itself a few times until it hits the 72dpi vs. No image for 20 secs. and then there it is. For the most part it gives the viewer "something" to look at while they are waiting.

--------------------
Alan Ackerson
LetterWorks Design and Graphics
alan@ack2.com

Posts: 776 | From: Oak Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Thanks for all the tips.

Alan, the .jpgs are 72dpi but I may try the other things you said. I made all the picts in a program other than Fireworks so maybe it will work better when I have another spare minute.

Kelly, that is what I was thinking, dividing it into two parts. Again, I'll have to do it when I have time!

Thanks again all! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Since you mentioned Javascript, it might only be a browser issue. If I've read this right (in a book on the subject), Javascript was meant primarily for Netscape; although it works with IE also. It could be that I just might have to
upgrade from v5.5 for this particular version to work right.

Incidentally, on occasion, I get these script error messages asking me if I want to continue. Maybe that's why. Just checked the IE properties settings & all Java-related boxes are already checked. Don't know if that means anything
since Java & Javascript are not one in the same.

I'll try again when I have a faster connection (usually varies between 38 & 49).

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very impressive Amy !!!! [Cool] [Cool]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy Campbell
Visitor
Member # 2675

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Randy Campbell   Email Randy Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot-great colour sceemes and testimonials.

[ March 05, 2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Randy Campbell ]

--------------------
Randall Campbell
Randy's Graphics,
420 Fairfield N.
Hamilton Ontario Canada

Posts: 2857 | From: Hamilton Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 14 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amy, seems like everytime I read your posts or look at your designs I come away smiling. You do really nice work. Very impressive!

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tony Potter
Visitor
Member # 1199

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tony Potter   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Potter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that it is very sharp!

Bravo.

--------------------
--If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.

Tony Potter
Blind Mice and Company
3001 Bever Ave. SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403
(319) 573-9001
www.blindmiceandcompany.com
tonypotter@yahoo.com

Posts: 209 | From: Cedar Rapids, IA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Caissie
Visitor
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Caissie   Email Brian Caissie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks Great,
My wife said, Oooo she does signs that I like!
I guess I'm chopped liver.

--------------------
BRIAN CAISSIE

7 Dewey St.
Unit 11
Natick, Ma 01760

Posts: 99 | From: Natick, Ma | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Williams
Visitor
Member # 846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Williams   Email Ed Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.
Each page loads in less than 1 second.

--------------------
Ed CJ Williams
CJ Graffx
Christiana,Pa.
cjgraffx@comcast.net
Just have'n fun....

Posts: 296 | From: Christiana,Pa. | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Bump. Please Read initial post. Thanks!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Mark Matyjakowski
Visitor
Member # 294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Matyjakowski   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Matyjakowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better, doesn't "hang" in the gallery anymore

--------------------
Compulsive, Neurotic, Anti-social and Paranoid ... but basically Happy

Posts: 2677 | From: Rochester, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

At 45333, main page loads in a couple seconds. The sandblast gallery loads in less than a minute.
Looks good.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Kelly Thorson
Resident

Member # 2958

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kelly Thorson   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Thorson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Amy,
Your web pages loaded a lot faster this time. The home page took about 11 secs to fully download. It took me three secs for the gallery page and the different categories downloaded anywhere from 8 secs to 17 secs, except the sandblasted one which still took me 34 seconds. This time the first image appeared after a few seconds so at least there is something to look at. Great work exhibited there - you have talent girl! Still might think of splitting the sandblasted - 3-D category.

--------------------
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-Winnie the Pooh & A.A. Milne

Kelly Thorson
Kel-T-Grafix
801 Main St.
Holdfast, SK
S0G 2H0
ktg@sasktel.net

Posts: 5496 | From: Penzance, Saskatchewan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Thanks guys/gals! I guess I still might have to do that split Kelly. But I'm gonna have to take a break. I have a numb shoulder from sitting her at the computer so much! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Robin Sharrard
Resident

Member # 388

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Robin Sharrard   Email Robin Sharrard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure glad I captured all those gallory pictures when I did...just kidding! Looks and functions very well...real nice. Robin

--------------------
Robin Sharrard
Sharrard Graphics & Sign
Fallon, Nevada
rds@phonewave.net
"Proud $$$ Supporter"

Posts: 282 | From: Fallon, Nevda, USA | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Bryant   Email Jason Bryant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice site. just one thing i noticed is you use font tags,
eg. <FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#ffff99
size=1>
you should try and use style sheets for this as font tags may not be supported by all browsers in the future.

not super important but worth considering.

cheers
Jason

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Posts: 30 | From: Colorado Springs | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!