Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » A few snaps...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few snaps...
Bob Darnell
Visitor
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Darnell   Email Bob Darnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site sign started out as a 4x8, but at the last minute they changed to a 6x8, which kind of threw a monkey wrench into what I was trying to do with the design. Bah!

Sketch:
 -

Sign:
 -

Except for a few nit-picky things with the script, I really like this one.
 -

I guess I was in a Mike Stevens mood on these:
 -
The truck wasn't there when I stopped to take a photo, here's part of the sketch:
 -

--------------------
Bob Darnell
London, Ontario, Canada

Excellent Signs

Posts: 595 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I'm not alone! Another color nut. Very nice and crisp. Good stuff.
Bob did you create the car wash rendering or was that supplied?

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bob,
your presentation is without equal.

your layout skills are eyecandy.
i love the bounce and flow of what you do.
you intrigue the reader buddy.
isn't that what it is all about?

thanks for sharing.

mark

a bob fan.

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Bob Stephens, I to am a big fan of color. I really love your work Bob Darnell.

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work!
I like that "Convienience" sign too, is this an existing font, or did you draw the letters yourself?

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1964 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to all the above. also I like the Panel work, nice subtle changes in tone between them. And like Lotti asked what fonts are used? I really like them.

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Norcross
Resident

Member # 3496

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Norcross   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Norcross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Bob, like the others here i am also a color nut. I really like the letters and contrasts, and it helps a lot when you get the customers point across, as well as you did to sell what they supply to the public. Very well done.

--------------------
Mike Norcross
Mikes Signs and Graphics
Box 1232 172 adams street
Afton, Wyoming 83110

Posts: 82 | From: Afton, Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Chapman
Resident

Member # 361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond Chapman   Author's Homepage   Email Raymond Chapman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, really nice. You certainly have an eye for good layout and color. Keep those photos coming.

--------------------
Chapman Sign Studio
Temple, Texas
chapmanstudio@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 6306 | From: Temple, Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob.....it is always a pleasure seeing your sign work.
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Darnell
Visitor
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Darnell   Email Bob Darnell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. It feels great to get such praise from people whose work people I also admire.

I wanted to mention that the whale with the car sitting on the water spout -> customer's idea, I just had to work with it.

Yes, I did the elevation rendering as well, which is a common for a lot of my sketches, but this time it went on a sign too. Usually if photos aren't available or the place hasn't been built yet, I scan an architect's drawing or receive an Autocad file that I "draw behind" on a different layer to "colour it in", and then add the proposed signage over top to give the client an overall picture.

I drew the lettering for "Convenience", which is why there are a few inconsistencies in angle and stroke widths that I should have paid more attention to. When I try to do script lettering, I try to emulate a one Steve Shortreed, who does some of the nicest scripts I've ever seen. A lot of his scripts have a "big bounce" on the bottom left with a wide stroke width - as you can see in the Letterville logo too.

The lettering for Whale of a Wash started out as Benguiat Bold I think, and then I've messed around with it and added some whale tails and fins to reinforce the theme a little. Pretty strange name for a car wash if you ask me. The "of a" copy was hand drawn as well. And on the plumbing sign of course is a Mike Stevens script.

--------------------
Bob Darnell
London, Ontario, Canada

Excellent Signs

Posts: 595 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work, Bob Darnell!

Ready for another party? Cool.

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime I see Bob's work my chest swells and a lump forms in my throat. I am so thankful to be around to see him blossom into an outstanding design artist and Letterhead. You make me very proud Bob.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb Fowler
Resident

Member # 1039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb Fowler   Email Deb Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BOB,

YOUR WORK IS OUTSTANDING. THE LAYOUTS AND COLORS ARE CRISP (AS MENTIONED), AND BALANCED WITH ALL THE FINE ELEMENTS OF A GREAT SIGN, AS THOSE BUSINESS OWNERS ARE PROBABLY WALKING ON THE CLOUDS TOO! TIS THE TRUTH, RIGHT FROM MY HEART!!!

--------------------
Deb Fowler

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney (1901-1966)

Posts: 5373 | From: Loves Park, Illinois | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles Ulysses Farley
Visitor
Member # 3444

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Charles Ulysses Farley         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take it easy, Steve - that sounds like Heart Trouble, [Wink]

Bob, that's a play on "Whale Watch"

--------------------
Charley Farley Signs
Chuck U. Farley
Duarte, Calif

Posts: 12 | From: Duarte, Calif. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Antonelli
Resident

Member # 86

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Dan Antonelli   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Antonelli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guy is so good it's frightening!

WOW!

Thanks for inspiring us Bob-

--------------------
Dan Antonelli
Graphic D-Signs, Inc.
279 Route 31 South • Suite 4
Washington, NJ
www.graphicd-signs.com
dan@graphicd-signs.com

"Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies. But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be." - Rush

Posts: 1192 | From: Washington, NJ | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Bob, I noticed the "Inconsistencies"? in the script as well... really ruined the sign. lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!