Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Another panel job...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another panel job...
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the original...

-

Here's what I've got...

-

The colors don't show too well on the screen, but they're black, orange, lime green, and the fade will be lime green to lemon yellow.

Comments/critiques welcome and encouraged...

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2284 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd have to say the second one over the first one..i like the flow and 2 for 1 catches my eye....but i'm not sure if the general public will read everything unless they have time while they wait in line or something...i try to read everthing coz i'm in the biz..lol

[ February 10, 2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: KARYN BUSH ]

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

In my opinion #1 has too many different shapes, they compete with each other. I'm not sure where to start reading that sign or what goes together.

I like #2 much better. How about having a black background for the left half of the sign and white for the right side?

Just one more thing: if it's open from 11am 'till 7pm why does it close at 10pm???

Nice idea to post the "original" for comparison [Smile]

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its just too much information. I would convince the client to go with their name, early bird special and the days & hours only!

If I was forced to add the rest of the nonsense I would do so but so damn small you would need glasses to see it.

Sometimes you just have to keep it realistic

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron Haynes
Visitor
Member # 490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aaron Haynes   Email Aaron Haynes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
much to much going on, each part of the sign looks good on its own but all together its just way over board , the amount of info needs to be scaled back

less is more

--------------------
Aaron Haynes
Aaron's Signs & Windows
Napa Ca
aa4signs@sbcglobal.net
------------
Important Rule For Life: "Look out for number one... Don't step in number two"
------------
If your never the lead dog on the sled...the scenery never changes.

Posts: 241 | From: Napa Ca. USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Norcross
Resident

Member # 3496

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Norcross   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Norcross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow nice job
Definately # 3 is the best i have seen, good on ya

--------------------
Mike Norcross
Mikes Signs and Graphics
Box 1232 172 adams street
Afton, Wyoming 83110

Posts: 82 | From: Afton, Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pat here's another option. Sometimes you just have to convince the client by showing them that simple and to the point is better.

-

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Nevman   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright already!! [Wink] [Wink]

I KNOW that there is too much on the signs. These banners (there are two different banners for two different promotions) will be hung in the waiting room/lobby of the restaurant/bar so there will be plenty of time to read them.

Also, this chain restaurant has a very outstanding and rather eklectic (sp?) collection of handpainted, Letterhead quality, and hand produced signs. Stop in one of their restaurants if you get a chance and you will be nicely surprised. (right now I think that they are only in Florida).

I will try to get by the restaurant soon to take some pics to upload.

Back to the banners...

I know these are a little on the goofy side, but the customer loves them and they seem to do the job. I really do appreciate and agree with the "it's too busy" observations, that just what I came up with the copy that I had. Not the best ever, I'm sure, but that doesn't bother me if the customer is happy.

I like your layouts alot Bob.  - . Simple, fresh and readable. Very nice...

The one tough spot is their logo...itsa gotta-be.

Lori...that's 10pm thru close - some nights they close at midnight and others at 1am.

Thanks Mike...that was funny... [Razz]

[ February 13, 2003, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Nevman ]

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2284 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really good opportunity to enlighten everyone on the use of panels in design. I can still hear Ken Millar, standing on a ladder at my first meet in 1983. "Arrange your copy into related idea groups. An idea group can become a panel."

Please elaborate more about the use of panels as a design tool. Hey Bob....Have I mentioned how much we all appreciate having you back in Letterville? Your alternate layouts are a wonderful way to learn, especially if you explain the design principle at work.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, it looks like something you'd see at Wall Drug (Wall, SD). since that's what they're looking for, i think you nailed it with #2. overall, i'd say the "panels" concept is another way of creating some white space (negative space) around things.

the only problem i have with the piece is that your eye wants to rest someplace -- and instead it just moves. all of the elements are about the same size... SOMEthing needs to dominate.

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just my opinion, but i "prioritize" copy.

what is most important?
what is least important?

how much information can be digested by the viewer, and from what distance.

in other words if it is a close "view" then it can be "copy intense"
if viewed from a distance, then words should be minimal but yet convey the message.

i am drawing from my outdoor advertising days. [Smile]

thanks pat for sharing your work.
hope to see you again soon.

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!