Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » new business card design ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new business card design ?
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Bryant   Email Jason Bryant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a couple of designs i am thinking of please help with layout sugestions i just hope they are'nt to large this is my first attempt at this

cheers
Jason

-
 -

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Posts: 30 | From: Colorado Springs | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Norcross
Resident

Member # 3496

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Mike Norcross   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Norcross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one jason, i think you done a great job. All i would do if that were my design, is to put a demension on the main heading. 3-D effects,other than that is is great.

--------------------
Mike Norcross
Mikes Signs and Graphics
Box 1232 172 adams street
Afton, Wyoming 83110

Posts: 82 | From: Afton, Wyoming | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty Engel
Visitor
Member # 3483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marty Engel   Email Marty Engel       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jason,

First, let me state that I like the second Flame/Name layout better. I also like the flames and red background color of the design. To me, these two elements alone evoke the essence of ‘sinister.’ However, I must ask what the meaning behind Sinister is?

Although the graphic and color of your design speak in terms of an edgy / gothic design business, the typeface of Sinister does not. Maybe you can try other type styles to fit in with the sinister / flame motif.

Secondly, I feel that the bottom of the card with your phone numbers is too busy. How would the design look if all the type was along the other axis - parallel with your business name?

Business cards can be tough to design. Especially when you try to create a nontraditional layout. So much to say… so little space. Have you considered two-sides or fold-out possibilities?

Just my .02 (USD) cents... As of this posting, that is .034 Australia Dollars. What a bargain!

Good luck,

Marty

--------------------
Marty Engel
Berkley, MI
Hill Mountain Signworks LLC

marty@hillmountain.com
248-890-8265

Posts: 58 | From: Berkley, MI | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the top design best. I think I would leave it how it is. Don't want to over do it!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Marty about the typeface for the name. I can think of a few fonts that would lend themselves better to the name sinister. Otherwise, pretty good card.

Heres one that could work.

-

[ January 29, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Bob Stephens ]

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan E Young
Visitor
Member # 2325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan E Young   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan E Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree and I really like Bobs font but I would leave the address on the bottom.

--------------------
Ryan Young
Indocil Art & Design
indocil@comporium.net
803-980-6765

I highjacked Letterville!!
Winter Muster 2004

Posts: 904 | From: Rock Hill, SC | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Now how can you promote graphic design when you can't even design your own flames for your business card?

I suggest you steal someone *else's* flames cause I sure don't appreciate you pilfering MY designs!!

**Edit**: OK, Jason emailed me and things are worked out now.. We're cool.. I was hot today having driven to Phoenix and back home today (on the road all day dealing with traffic - which I am not used to) so I overreacted not knowing the situation. Whew! [Smile]

[ January 30, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Mike Pipes ]

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh oh. I sense a lawsuit in the air. [Smile]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Bryant   Email Jason Bryant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,

Sorry a friend gave them to me i will fix right now considered them deleted.
I have learnt my lesson will not do such a thing again.

My humble apologies

Jason

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Posts: 30 | From: Colorado Springs | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that font choice isn't exactly in character with the name. I like the font Bob used. I have a suggestion on my own...

-

Have fun!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6453 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

Well i'm going to have another shot at a couple designs. Still not sure on the type face what do you all think.

Regards
Jason

I don't think i have offended anyone this time but if i have let me know and i will fix.

-

-

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Shawn Setzer
Visitor
Member # 426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shawn Setzer   Email Shawn Setzer       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jason,

The first impression I got was Natzi...Lose the cross, try using a swoosh mixed in with the flame in a different shade of gray...

Just my thoughts,

Shawn

--------------------
Shawn Setzer
Signs by Shawn
826 Hwy 47 East, Troy, MO

Posts: 241 | From: Troy, MO, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Schuttinga
Visitor
Member # 2821

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Peter Schuttinga   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Schuttinga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Shawn, loose the cross. maybe extend the flame behind the lettering and let it fade out behind them. Your second sample has a prefered font style.

[ January 30, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Peter Schuttinga ]

--------------------
"Are we having fun yet?"
Peter Schuttinga
DZines Sign Studio
1617 Millstream rd
Victoria BC
V9B-6G4

Posts: 521 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

thanks guys

i like the second font better also, will get rid of the cross and see what looks like
[Smile]

regards
jason

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few "Sinister" looking fonts for you to chew on.
 -

Rick

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1539 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think you need something like this, fits the "sinister" name a bit better than the other options, although it's not really all that sinister..

-

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my only question...why do you want to call your business "sinister"? it has nothing to do with art, signs, or graphics. 2nd you aint gona get any work from churches or "the god fearin folks" who go to them. and it dosent seem like the name is gona get you any business...only from the what used to hard core bikers here, and goth type kids.........just my thought..

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Bryant
Visitor
Member # 3150

"sinister" is just a name i liked. i guess i could of had "jason's signs" or similar but since this is only a hobby not my weekly job thought i might have a little fun with it. i am not out looking for goths riding harleys but if they want somthing done i'll do it.

Mike, i see you also post over @ sportruck.com what ride do you have, I'm doing a 63impala with full air down here in australia.

cheers
jason

--------------------
jason
Colorado Springs

Formally QLD Australia

Bob Stephens
Visitor
Member # 858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Stephens   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Stephens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Pipes...cool stuff.

Jason, change the name to "Minister Licks" with a brush. Churches and god fearing folks have all the money.

Praise them all with your spiritual stripes and graphic voices from the heavens above.

--------------------
Bob Stephens
Skywatch Signs
Zephyrhills, FL

www.skywatchsigns.com
www.skywatchgallery.com

Posts: 2481 | From: Zephyrhills, Florida | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, thanks!

Jason, it's a '97 Mazda B2300, same thing as a Ford Ranger.. dunno if you have them down there in Oz or not. In the works is full air suspension although it's going to be unlike anything on the road (details are top secret - hehe).. I'm doing a completely new interior which will have no shortage of custom fabrication, utilizing lots of carbon fiber and neoprene (I'm a beach bum) with the audio system components hidden everywhere. I've started shaving the bodylines and all the seams and junk, but a voice in my head is telling me to scrap the body and build my own design. [Smile]

--------------------

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!