Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » my first hand carved sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my first hand carved sign
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a photo of a hand carved hdu sign I just finished. This was my first attempt at carving and is far from perfect but im happy with the results thanks to some great lessons I got from Joe Cieslowski, Bill Reidel, and Francis Lestingi at the Mars workshops. It was a great learning experience.  -

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Posts: 222 | From: Grampian, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vance Galliher
Visitor
Member # 581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vance Galliher   Author's Homepage   Email Vance Galliher       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.....nice work richard !! isn't it fun to make nice stuff !! vance

--------------------
vance galliher
springfield,or
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com

Posts: 324 | From: springfield,or. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Richard!

That is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Wow!

(The design, color placemsnt, flow of the copy, and the letterstyle...the whole sheebang!)

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Rochon
Resident

Member # 30

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bob Rochon   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Rochon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard you should be proud!

Nice design clean and easy to read. Looks great!

Aren't meets great?

--------------------
Bob Rochon
Creative Signworks
Millbury, MA
508-865-7330

"Life is Like an Echo, what you put out, comes back to you."

Posts: 5149 | From: Millbury, Mass. U.S. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ogden
Resident

Member # 3184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Ogden   Email Jeff Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice to see the results of your earlier design post, Richard...great effort there !I'm sure that sign will bring you other work too !

--------------------
Jeff Ogden
8727 NE 68 Terr.
Gainesville FL, 32609

Posts: 2138 | From: 8827 NE 68 Terr Gainesville Fl 32609 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B R A V O !

That's a real beauty!
Janette

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KARYN BUSH
Resident

Member # 1948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARYN BUSH   Author's Homepage   Email KARYN BUSH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's absolutely beautiful...you're already a pro!

--------------------
Karyn Bush
Simply Not Ordinary, LLC
Bartlett, NH
603-383-9955
www.snosigns.com
info@snosigns.com

Posts: 3516 | From: Bartlett, NH USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUTSTANDING .
Looks as if you payed attention in class !!!!!

Great work..Now stand back from the on rush of Customers.....

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeffrey Vrstal
Visitor
Member # 2271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeffrey Vrstal   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffrey Vrstal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First one! Wow. Hey, do you know how sometimes you look back on the stuff you did years ago and can't believe the stuff that used to pass for good? Imagine now what your stuff will look like in a few years. You started VERY well.

--------------------
Jeff Vrstal
Main Street Signs
157 E. Main Street
Evansville, WI 53536
1-608-882-0322

Posts: 670 | From: Evansville, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone it's always nice to get positive feedback from other signmakers. I definitly enjoy carving its almost addictive when I get going its hard to put the tools down. I hope to improve my letterform a little and get a little faster one of the things that really impressed me at the mars meet was how fast Joe Cieslowski can carve he probably could have done this in half the time it took me. Hey Shep how do you think the maroon border would have looked woodgrained? I've got to learn how to do that!

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Posts: 222 | From: Grampian, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard that is a very rich looking sign. Nice job!
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard,

That looks great! You got good advice on your installation post. Just make sure you use stainless screws so they don't rust and run on the sign.

Very nice! I wish I could figure it out because I want to carve one for my grandma for Christmas!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard,

I would like to Oooooo and Ahaaaaa with the rest...but I can't get the window to open [Mad] , could you email it or somthin? I can carve but these putters are a mystery!!!!! [Frown] I would really love to see it!

Joe,
Makin Chips and Havin Fun! At Atlantic City!

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
Connecticut Woodcarvers Gallery
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe I emailed you a photo and also posted it on my website www.doylesignshop.com under custom signs let me know what ya think

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Richard! I think you can officially call yourself a signcarver now. [Smile]

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shane French
Visitor
Member # 2098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shane French   Author's Homepage   Email Shane French   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's your FIRST attempt?! You're a natural. It looks great!

-shane

--------------------
Halo Graphics
Clearlake Oaks, CA
http://www.halographics.com
ntshane1@halographics.com

Posts: 308 | From: Clearlake Oaks, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard.......WOW! Great Job!!!!!

I'll tell ya what I like.....consistant depth to the letters....the angle formed at the bottom of the serifs tell the eye that the letter is deep (even though they might not be....remember my 1/4" sign? [Wink] ), I think this works well with the weight of your font. The surfaces of the letters aren't "perfect", they look hand made and make for an interesting texture (consistancy is the key here [Smile] )
The Tree.....Great Job! Trees are tough! You have an excellent feel for the form and you certainly pulled it off. The only thing I might have done different would have been to cut completly through under the leaves where the trees leaders meet them....this, of course works if the tree is glued to the sign face....if its raised, you would need that material for strength....actually, you could just paint those areas black and it would work as well!
OK, tell me the maple leaves on the bottom are incised......if thay are, CALL 911!!! [Wink]
Everything else looks great too! Love the color choices, shape etc. and I'm glad to have played a small part getting you started.

MAKE CHIPS!!!!

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Posts: 2345 | From: East Canaan CT 06024 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joe

the leaves are just painted although carving them is an interesting idea that didnt cross my mind. The tree is glued on it was not my first attempt I was not happy with the first one so I did it again practice makes perfect

[ November 19, 2002, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Richard Doyle ]

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you should be very proud of this sign richard.
makes me want to try my hand at carving.
i have never tried it before.

nice job.

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cam Bortz
Visitor
Member # 55

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Cam Bortz   Email Cam Bortz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What???? No router??? [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Seriously, nice job. I still have my first carved sign, and as you will soon learn, your skills will rapidly improve the more you do.

One tiny critique - and this is not about carving, but letterform - about the "N". the vertical strokes of the capital letter N should always be thinner than the diagonal. Just something that jumped out at me. The carving looks great.

--------------------
"A wise man concerns himself with the truth, not with what people believe." - Aristotle

Cam Bortz
Finest Kind Signs
Pondside Iron works
256 S. Broad St.
Pawcatuck, Ct. 06379
"Award winning Signs since 1988"

Posts: 3051 | From: Pawcatuck,Connecticut USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Cieslowski
Resident

Member # 2429

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Joe Cieslowski   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Cieslowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mark,

My experience has been that hand letterers and folks who can represent 3D with 2 D can produce quickly in the third "D"with a basic introduction on how to use the "Tools " of 3 D......same shtuff......different tools! lol!
Hope ta meet some day....I'll show ya what I mean [Smile]

Joe,

--------------------
Joe Cieslowski
P.O.Box 368
East Canaan CT 06024
jcieslowski@snet.net
860-824-0883

Nevman
Resident

Member # 332

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nevman   Author's Homepage   Email Nevman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice sign Richard...I would love to be able to do something like that.

And...not to bug you or anything...but to follow up on Cam's observation, the O and the G are a bit too small in my humble opinion. The should extend above and below the flat top letters.

Please don't get me wrong...I LOVE the sign...and I know that you didn't ask for critiques...just wanted to point it out for the next one.

Keep up the GREAT work !!

I wanna see more!!

--------------------
Pat Neve, Jr.
Sign Man, Inc.
4580 N. US 1
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-537-8675
Capt. Sign

http://www.twitter.com/Pat_Signman

http://www.facebook.com/PatNeve

Posts: 2279 | From: Melbourne, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

No offense taken Pat

I spent so much time designing other aspects of the sign maybee I neglected the font a little but I don't think the general public will ever notice my font problems. but I will keep these suggestions in mind for the next one.

[ November 20, 2002, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Richard Doyle ]

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Mark Neurohr
Resident

Member # 2470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Neurohr   Email Mark Neurohr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Job well done Richard!! I think the overall impact of your sign is fantastic! Keep in mind the people and talent of the replys you are receiving,(The general public would never be able to see the things these folks have).

Glad we're not too close! It'd be hard to compete with quality like you've shown!

You're neighbor on the "left side",
Mark

--------------------
Mark Neurohr "Ernest"
Paintin' Place
141 Sunnyside Road
Kittanning, PA 16201

724-859-0859
mneurohr3@yahoo.com

Posts: 992 | From: Kittanning, Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEAUTIFUL!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!