Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Size and Color : Have you ever gotten these results?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Size and Color : Have you ever gotten these results?
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sign was done several months back, but I just got my scanner working again, had to find a new image host, and re-learn how to post. Thanks Barb!

-

I hate the big "gap" between the bottom of the sign and the shrubs but, left it for adding another "Dr. ID" sign. The sign is redwood and the "apple-ique" is HDU finished in candyapple red automotive paint and clear coated. The rest is all waterbased solid-color stain and acrylic latex.

Believe it or not, the posts and backgrounds of all of the individual signs are the same color as the main sign at the top. The problem is, after blasting, the grain on the top sign had the deep "vanes" and the backgrounds of the name signs blasted away more evenly. What you are seeing is the shadow caused by the deep vanes. I try to select my lumber for consistency of grain but sometimes this just happens.

The other thing.
When I sent the color artwork to the client for approval, they included exact measurements and even had a scale drawing of a man ( sized to 5'10'')standing beside the sign. They OKed it and sent the deposit. When I finished installing the sign his wife says: "it looks real nice" he goes: "it too small.....sign not big enough"! At first I thought he was joking but it became evident that he wasn't. The whole thing is over 11' tall and 7'2'' wide, is double sided and cost over 8 grand. I would have GLADLY made it larger. Maybe I should have included the measurements in Metric as well. He never complained about the color.

[ July 20, 2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Wayne Webb ]

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Wright
Visitor
Member # 3107

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Suzanne Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Suzanne Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think it looks great Wayne! The colors go go very well together. Some people are just NEVER happy!
It's still not as bad as those customers who think they are better designers than you. Although my *favorites* are the ones that think it's necessary to list every tiny bit of information pertaining to their business on an already too small sign that is set 20 feet off the road! Ugh! Customers...don't ya just love 'em? Actually most of mine are pretty great but every once in a while... [Roll Eyes]
Suzanne

--------------------
Suzanne Wright
Creative Edge Graphics
Design - Printing - Signs

Posts: 7 | From: Weeping Water, Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Suzanne!

I try to discourage signs with too much junk on them by charging for extra words. Most of the time it works.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Posts: 7403 | From: Chipley,Florida,United States | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wayne, The sign looks real nice, and after evaluating the price, that looks in line as well. The color variation looks fine, at least in the photo. Makes it look like an authentic effort and not plastic, like the HDU blasts. I use HDU a lot in carving, but as for wood grain effects, I think it sucks big time. If the buyer can't work with your prescribed measurements, and at least take the time to evaluate them or question the size, it sure as hell isn't your fault.... simple as that.

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayne Webb
Resident

Member # 1124

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Wayne Webb   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jack,
I love the look of real wood too. Nothing like the real thing.

--------------------
Wayne Webb
Webb Signworks
Chipley, FL
wayne@webbsignworks.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!