Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Now we can pick on it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now we can pick on it!
Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Gallagher   Email Chuck Gallagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to hear your comments on this. I like it ok, but not sure what it needs. I think it's a little wordy, but I need all the info. Comments appreciated!

Thanks,

-

[ July 18, 2002, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Chuck Gallagher ]

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Pro Graphics Signs by Design
Cabool, MO
"I grew up in Letterville"

Posts: 776 | From: Cabool, Mo. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Chavez
Visitor
Member # 2146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Chavez   Email Rick Chavez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a little wordy also, and I think I count 6 typefaces? Even if some are the same typeface of a different weight they look a little to different in this layout. Plus I see a lot of different digital effects, going on, I would try simplify it a bit, you definitely have "da skilz", no need to show them all at once [Smile]
Rick

--------------------
Rick Chavez
Hemet, CA

Posts: 1538 | From: Hemet,CA U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this to advertise Edge printing? If so, I would change "Digital Graphics" to "Digital Printing", otherwise when I hear Digital Graphics I'm thinkin of graphics viewed solely on a computer.

It flows a little nicer using "printing" too.

Other than that, I would almost drop the "Sign and Design" then beef up the phone number, it's lookin kinda lost or burried in the shadows there. [Smile] Maybe make the "sign and design" smaller sub-copy if you just have to keep it.

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Gallagher   Email Chuck Gallagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying to "show" what can be done with the digital effects, but maybe I got carried away and was trying not to, too!

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Cabool, MO

Posts: 776 | From: Cabool, Mo. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Hi Mike,

I thought about "printing" too, but didn't want to be confused with a "printing co." And the Pro Graphics Signs & Design is the name of the co. so it has to stay.

Thanks for the advice.

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Cabool, MO

Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

A revision from the advice..........
 -

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Cabool, MO

Desire Rusovsky
Visitor
Member # 2876

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Desire Rusovsky   Author's Homepage   Email Desire Rusovsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me the "Digital Graphics" lack of space beetween the letters, and it's aggravated by the narrowness of them. Personnally I would have "Digital Graphics" bigger and the name of your shop smaller.

A swiss opinion [Razz]

--------------------
Desire Rusovsky
SDG Signs
rue du Lac 24
1342 Le Pont
Switzerland
desire@sdgsigns.com
http://www.sdgsigns.com

Posts: 218 | From: Le Pont / Switzerland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScooterX ScooterX has just turned 57
Resident

Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterX   Author's Homepage   Email ScooterX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
short answer: too busy.

long answer:
1. do the "squint test": squint at it, and it all becomes one blob of yellow brown black.

2. outline heirarchy: you've got this massive black contour line (outline) around EVERYTHNG. that makes the triangle shape just as important as your business name and the phone and all the other stuff.. heavy line should be for the most important, and the least imporant should have a very light outline (or none at all).

3. color use: the black is the dominant color, but the least useful "information". the second most dominant color is the red in the phone block - but its a background color. you've sort of reversed the whole idea -- the red and black should be the MOST important information, not the least.

4. i cant tell what the little squares over the "i" in graphics are about -- are those pixels? whatever they are, they lead my eye away from the message because they -- and the triangle -- are the "active" elements.

5. surface "height": everything is "floating" above everything. your logo is airborn and about to float away... even the triangle looks a little unstable.

6. surface detail: too many effects. one cool effect is nice. seven effects pretty much just cancel each other out.

7. dynamic shapes: the triangle "cuts" all your words in half. you sort of end up with "ProGr". kind of like getting served a sandwich with half of it about to fall off the plate.

I hope this doesn't come across as too harsh, but i was trying to be clear in what i see happening. you've got neat effects, but i think you need to go back, simplify and clean up. you don't need to show every color to let people know you can do color...

--------------------
:: Scooter Marriner ::
:: Coyote Signs ::
:: Oakland, CA ::
:: still a beginner ::
::

Posts: 1356 | From: Oakland (and San Francisco) | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suzanne Wright
Visitor
Member # 3107

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Suzanne Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Suzanne Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chuck,
I think it looks great, but I agree with the others that there are too many fonts and too many different colors for the text, which makes it look a little busy. I would use the same typestyle you used for the "ProGraphics" for the the "Digital Printing" and make that a little larger. I would also use the same silver color for "Digital Printing" that you used for "Signs and Design" It's definately eye-catching though. Good luck with it!
Suzanne
www.CreativeEdgeSigns.net

--------------------
Suzanne Wright
Creative Edge Graphics
Design - Printing - Signs

Posts: 7 | From: Weeping Water, Nebraska | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
old paint
Visitor
Member # 549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for old paint   Email old paint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
put this on your computer....in helvetica bold caps..K . I . S . S. will help you when your design gets lost in all you are capable of doing!!!! nice work..but to much for the masses...to understand....you got to remember most people see a sign.....and use only the least amount of their inteligence to view it!

--------------------
joe pribish-A SIGN MINT
2811 longleaf Dr.
pensacola, fl 32526
850-637-1519
BEWARE THE TRUTH.....YOU MAY NOT LIKE WHAT YOU FIND

Posts: 11582 | From: pensacola, fl. usa | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chuck, It is a very attractive design. I would probably pull the "digital printing" off and use it seperately as a service away from your logo. So like for your truck: logo on door and "digital printing" down the bed in a complimenting color scheme. I really like the colors and shapes going on. You could even pull the phone number off as seperate like it would be in a letterhead or below the logo. I think the overall looks great

[ July 20, 2002, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: bronzeo ]

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!