Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Need someone to test this one for me......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need someone to test this one for me......
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading David Utter's post about using Corel R.A.V.E., I thought I'd try my hand at learning it. It works on my computer, but I'd like for someone(s) to test it for me to make sure that the animation and sound are working properly.

http://home.nc.rr.com/walldog/logo.swf

Thanks!
[Smile]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Warning: A well designed sign may cause fatigue due to increased business.

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Pipes
Visitor
Member # 1573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Pipes   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Pipes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep it works, although you might want to find a way to optimize the file because it takes a long time to download (and I'm on a 384k DSL connection).

--------------------
"If I share all my wisdom I won't have any left for myself."

Mike Pipes
stickerpimp.com
Lake Havasu, AZ
mike@stickerpimp.com

Posts: 8746 | From: Lake Havasu, AZ USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Gallagher
Visitor
Member # 69

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Gallagher   Email Chuck Gallagher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Glenn,

Seems to work ok for me and this computer is an amd 300 with a 16meg. Rage Fury Pro card.

Good luck

--------------------
Chuck Gallagher
Pro Graphics Signs by Design
Cabool, MO
"I grew up in Letterville"

Posts: 776 | From: Cabool, Mo. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Si Allen
Resident

Member # 420

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Si Allen   Email Si Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mike, and my DSL is 3 or 4 times as fast!

--------------------
Si Allen #562
La Mirada, CA. USA

(714) 521-4810

si.allen on Skype

siallen@dslextreme.com

"SignPainters do It with Longer Strokes!"

Never mess with your profile while in a drunken stupor!!!

Brushasaurus on Chat

Posts: 8831 | From: La Mirada, CA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! [Smile]

The file is 718kb. I'll see what I can do to reduce the file size.

Corel RAVE is easier to use than I thought.....so far. [Smile]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Posts: 10690 | From: Wilson, NC, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Stoddard
Visitor
Member # 39

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Stoddard   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Stoddard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks good here, boy that sound was familiar - perhaps the sound that goes with the Corel install splash page?

--------------------
Brian Stoddard
Northwest Wholesale Signs

brian@nwsigns.com
www.nwsigns.com

Posts: 790 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, someone has a good ear!

I'm picking up Sound Forge software this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll be able to start creating and do some modified sampling that ties in better.

I really am amazed at how easy RAVE is. I just wish I could figure out how to compress or reduce the file size without losing the quality.

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAVE's only problem thus far has been file size. Strangely, you can open a .swf file created in RAVE with Flash (5 or 6) and just resave it - and poof, 2/3-1/4th the file size.

Sound Forge is really a sound editting program, if you're looking for loops or techno style stuff you might look to their product "Acid Pro" (I think that's it).

IF you're just looking for background sound, there are a lot of free sites on the web where authors create loops and other sound bytes for use in your flash, powerpoint or other dynamic presentations.

Dont forget the venerable "Sound Recorder" in windows. Although it is limited by the size file it can handle, it does have use in the fact it can resample a sound file as well as add or subtract volume, sound and echo. Usually just dropping the sound quality down and going from stereo to mono will drastically shrink the file size.

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Utter
Visitor
Member # 634

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Dave Utter   Email Dave Utter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dude, cool stuff. Now you're a step ahead of me. You were one of the only people to respond to my ladybug flash, and now you put sound with yours. I like the corel sound (I had that as my startup sound for windows for a while). so tell us.............how'd ya do it. (the sound that is) I ain't fingered it out yet! [Eek!]

--------------------
Dave Utter
D-utterguy on chat
Sign Designs
Beardstown, Il.
signdesigns@casscomm.com

Posts: 777 | From: beardstown, illinois, usa | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Taylor
Visitor
Member # 162

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Glenn Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Glenn Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi David,

I just copied and pasted a WAV onto the page. RAVE did the rest. I think that there should be more to it than that, so I'll just keep on digging.

[Smile]

--------------------
BlueDog Graphics
Wilson, NC

www.BlueDogUSA.com

John Deaton
Visitor
Member # 925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Deaton   Author's Homepage   Email John Deaton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get some pretty cool sounds here guys...
sound effects
Also, check on ebay for flash 4 or 5. You can get some good deals, and it aint really hard to learn. I think I paid 28 bucks for flash 4, still shrink wrapped. Sounds like the Rave thing is cool too. I aint a Corel guru though. [Confused]

--------------------
Maker of fine signs and
other creative stuff.
Located at 109 N. Cumberland ave.
Harlan, Ky. 40831
606-837-0242

Posts: 4172 | From: Ages-Brookside, Ky. Up the Holler... | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 6 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glenn, it was about a seven to ten second load here. DSL.

You may already be aware of this, but there is no sound with every third display, ie display, sound, display, sound, display..., display, sound and so on.

When I right click on it, I get a screen that asks about image quality. Low is not good enough. Medium looks just fine, which suggests you can cut back on the resolution a fair amount without losing screen quality.

I have Rave here, never turned it on. Wow, now I have a new toy! Nice artwork, by the way. Vic G

--------------------
Victor Georgiou
Danville, CA , USA

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Cosharek
Resident

Member # 1274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Cosharek   Email Bill Cosharek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Glenn,

Just downloaded your movie. Thought that from what the others said, you may've included the player too. But it was only an swf. It might
be helpful if you provided a preloader message that informs of download time instead of just the blank page. That way you'd know for sure that you've reached the intended url. Using a 56k modem didn't take much more time than what the dsl people said.

You mentioned that you used a wave file. I think you could reduce the file size by converting the wav to an mp3. If you need a converter check the web. There are plenty to choose from.

The file looks & plays well. One thing I'd mention that if it continues to loop, provide a little blank space after last action - unless that was intended. Nice work.

--------------------
Bill Cosharek
Bill Cosharek Signs
N.Huntingdon,Pa

bcosharek@juno.com

Posts: 703 | From: N.Huntingdon, Pa, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!