Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Job photos and Digital Cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Job photos and Digital Cameras
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a job I did back in January, the spools of thread is a print done on the edge of a digital photo I took at the customers shop, I just picked out some colorful samples arranged them and took a couple of shots. Anyone not having a digital camera these days , in my opinion is missing out on the endless possibilities that it could offer you. Even taking digital shots of Customers Vehicles or store fronts alone, then using those shots to do proofs for presentations is worth the price of admission.

-

-

-

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diane Crowther
Visitor
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diane Crowther   Email Diane Crowther   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're absolutely right, Neil. We just got ours 2-3 weeks ago and I don't know how we got along without it. We just showed a customer a presentation for window lettering on their building. $1500.00 job and they didn't bat an eye at the price. I'm sure the photo presentation had a lot to do with that. We're lovin' it!

Your idea of using the camera to create customer-specific graphics is a great one. We'll keep our eyes open for opportunities to do that.

--------------------
Diane Crowther,
Metaline Graphics Ltd.,
Hubbards, Nova Scotia, Canada,

Posts: 516 | From: Hubbards, NS Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VICTORGEORGIOU
Visitor
Member # 474

Icon 6 posted      Profile for VICTORGEORGIOU   Email VICTORGEORGIOU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really nice work, Neil. When you bring the digital image into your computer, do you posterize the colors or otherwise enhance them, or are you able to get that result out of the camera? Do you do anything special for lighting or just shoot it at ambient, or with the flash?

And on the sides where the art goes up on the glass, do you switch to one way vinyl or blank that one small window?

--------------------
Victor Georgiou
Danville, CA , USA

Posts: 1746 | From: Danville, CA , USA | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neil D. Butler   Email Neil D. Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dianne & Victor... I've had my Camera a Kodak DC260, for 3.5yrs, and I don't know what I've would have done without it. I use it at least 2 or 3 times a day, and more. I can even record voice messages onto it, like when I take a photo of a customers truck I'll measure the door and then record the measurement onto the camera, then I 'll scale the truck in Graphix advantage to full size and then design away in scale.. great for pricing as well.
Diane you're gonna love the camera. Victor sometimes I use the gerber Vision, and sometimes I don't, if the customer is willing to pay for the stuff then I'll use it. But most time on the back of a van, regular vinyl is all thats needed. Did you check out the beetles that I posted last week? I used Vision Vinyl on those.. nice effect too.
Thanks for the comments.

[ June 15, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Neil D. Butler ]

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Posts: 6277 | From: St. John's NF Canada | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neil; what a great job. There's nothing about it I don't like. Colors, layout, impact all super. I'm amazed that an older camera is giving you such great results! When you are increasing the size so much, I would expect you must have to resample the image, which in turn tends to blur edges. Is this what you've done? The thread picture looks great in the photo, and for a vehicle it seems to work just great. Would this image also be suitable for close up inspection? I am using a Finepix Fujifilm 2400 which I hadn't expected to be any good for the type of job you've just done... so I'm all excitied that it could do the same thing you've just done? Thanks for posting the pcis and info.

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil D. Butler
Resident

Member # 661

Brian, thanks for the compliments, But the only image on the van that I did with my camera is that of the back, the spools of thread and zipper. But that one is great as well. I don't really do anything special, other make sure I have the right amount of light, natural light works great, along with some fill. I do adjust in photoshop though. But I don't posterize normally. I'm at home right now, but when I go in monday, I'll post some banners that I did. I took shots of actual Meals for a restaurant, and reproduced them for banners, and they are good enough to eat.. the prints that is.Lol

--------------------
"Keep Positive"

SIGNS1st.
Neil Butler
Paradise, NF

Brian Caissie
Visitor
Member # 2673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Caissie   Email Brian Caissie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't aggre more, I am new in this business, and I think a picture of their completed vehicle before you even begin is worth fifty thousand words to the customer, and sometimes even, they wonder if you have already done the job, they almost look out the window to make sure you didn't do the job, and they failed to notice when they drove over.

--------------------
BRIAN CAISSIE

7 Dewey St.
Unit 11
Natick, Ma 01760

Posts: 99 | From: Natick, Ma | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!