Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » 4X8 design

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4X8 design
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

I'm posting a pic of a couple of layouts for a 4X8 golf sign. They want a fair amount of copy on this sign, and I'd like opinions or suggestions from you seasoned veterans! These signs will be installed along the edge of the highway, so legibility will be a factor. They want their logo, and want to stick with ivory and green.

-

Thanks,

Suelynn

[ May 10, 2002, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Suelynn Sedor ]

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Suelynn,
You linked your photo from the ftp site with your user name!
Havin' fun,
Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm,

you lost me Brian. I can see the right pics when I click on this thread. What do you see?

Sue

I'll try again.
 -

[ May 10, 2002, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Suelynn Sedor ]

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Gilliland
Visitor
Member # 28

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bob Gilliland   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Gilliland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be a slow night in Harrisburg. Anyway, try inserting the following line,
code:
[img]http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/dsedor/golfsign.jpg[/img]

-

--------------------
Bob Gilliland
InKnowVative Communications
Harrisburg PA, USA

"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it.
You have to catch up with it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 642 | From: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suelynn.....those are great! Not sure which one I like best, both are very nice.
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Checkers
Resident

Member # 63

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Checkers   Author's Homepage   Email Checkers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya Suelynn,
When I view this thread, your web host is asking me for your password because you posted the link to the photo as ftp vs. http.
Here's the link I see:

ftp://dsedor@www3.sk.sympatico.ca/golfsign.jpg

you see it fine because your browser remembers your password from when you first logged in.
hopefully this explains it better.
Havin' fun,
Checkers

--------------------
a.k.a. Brian Born
www.CheckersCustom.com
Harrisburg, Pa
Work Smart, Play Hard

Posts: 3775 | From: Harrisburg, Pa. U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Thanks, I think I've got it figured out with a little help from Barb, Bob and Brian. Don't know why the url was all turned around like that. That is the address I was cutting and pasting.

Thanks for the kind words Cheryl and Barb!!

Suelynn.

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Duncan Wilkie
Resident

Member # 132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Wilkie   Author's Homepage   Email Duncan Wilkie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Linnie,
Nice work. The kerning on "Golf Course" is out of wack on the first layout, but you've got it corrected in the second. Arrows are difficult to deal with, I like what you've done. A little more negative space would be my preference. I like the colors, design and general layout. Maybe a sans serif letterstyle on the bottom line of text, and I'd pick black for the color of that line.
Keep up the great work!
Hope you don't mind my comments, I think you are a fine addition to the Canadian sign industry. [Smile] [Smile]
Cheers,
Duncan

[ May 10, 2002, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Duncan Wilkie ]

--------------------
Duncan Wilkie
aka signdog
http://www.comsign.ca
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 4353 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second one is great! Don't change a thing.
Going to do a "step by Step" on it?
cheers brian

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice layouts Suelynn!!!

very pleasing , comfortable to look at.

if i might make a suggestion on presentation on the web.

try saving that same file a .gif file.

just an opinion.

again, nice work.

mark

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joel Peters
Visitor
Member # 622

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Joel Peters   Email Joel Peters       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Suelynn,

Very sharp. I really like those. The customer has to like these designs.

Good job!

Joel [Smile]

--------------------
Joel H. Peters
Peter Pan Sign Graphics
Cary,Il.
"Doin' it Good since 1974"

Posts: 114 | From: Cary,IL,USA | Registered: Mar 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stevo Chartrand
Visitor
Member # 2094

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stevo Chartrand   Author's Homepage   Email Stevo Chartrand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suelynn.
I think everything looks good. The only thing I would change is the font for your secondary copy. I think it does need to be a sans serif font just for a bit more pop.
I really dig the color scheme.

Just my two cents eh.
No doot aboot it.

--------------------
Stevo Design
Illustration Logos Sign Design Clip Art
www.stevo-design.com

Posts: 1680 | From: Edmonton Ab Canada EH! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Bowers
Resident

Member # 892

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bruce Bowers   Email Bruce Bowers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suelynn,

Awesome work. I like the colors. I think that the second design makes use of the space in a much more efficient manner. It is, in m.h.o., a much stronger layout than the first.

Bravo!

have a great one!

--------------------
Bruce Bowers

DrCAS Custom Lettering and Design
Saint Cloud, Minnesota

"Things work out best for the people who make the best of the way things work out." - Art Linkletter

Posts: 6451 | From: Saint Cloud, Minnesota | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lotti Prokott
Resident

Member # 2684

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lotti Prokott   Email Lotti Prokott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Suelynn, these are both very nice designs.
Are you going to airbrush the two background colours for "Golf Club" ?
Have a great weekend, Lotti

--------------------
Lotti Prokott
Woodland Signs
Pelly, Saskatchewan
woodlandsigns@sasktel.net

Posts: 1966 | From: Pelly, Saskatchewan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work! I think I like the second one best, but would make the direction arrow with info smaller so it doesn't compete with the logo for first attention. It appears to crowd the logo to me and maybe becomes part of it. I might change the lower copy font like suggested above. I like everything else. Jack

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, you guys are kind!!

Duncan, I really appreciate the suggestions you gave. I don't know what is with the kerning on the top one, but I designed these in corel, and as I zoomed in and out, the letters just kept moving around. I don't know what is up with that. I tried the bottom panel in black, and I thought it was too much contrast and competed too much with the logo. This logo is new (designed by me) and we want to "get it out there". I will try the san serif lettering though. Thanks for the kind comments!

Brian, I'm really not sure you'd want to see a step-by-step from me! I'm still pretty new at this, and might be doing everything ass-backwards! [Razz]

Mark, I thought gifs were for pictures with very few colors. I thought with the fills I would have to stick with a jpg. I'll try it when I post my redraw. Thanks.

Joel, Stevo & Bruce, thanks for the thumbs up...made my day!

Lotti, yes, I'll cut a mask and airbrush the fades. Have you fired up your airbrush yet?

Jack, I agree that the directional arrow competes with the logo, but I want to make sure it will be legible from the highway. I'll try it a bit smaller. Thanks

Suelynn

--------------------
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They both look great Suelyn!
I think I actually like the top one.
Dave likes the bottom one.

But we both agree they are both super!
Nice Job!

[Smile]

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Sherby
Resident

Member # 698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Sherby   Email Dave Sherby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I like the top one a little better. I love the logo and the extra negative space makes it pop. But I do like what you did with the arrow on the bottom one. Both are nice. I too like Duncan's idea of a sans serif font for the bottom. Its worth a look.

The only thing I would change (unless this is a Canadian thing I don't know about) is all my dictionaries say its spelled Licensed with an "s". [Smile]

Better check that before the final proof goes to the customer. I usually use spell check but must have forgotten it on a recent job. I was floored! I had 2 misspellings on the same sign. The customer also missed it on the proof AND on the sign for a full week.

[ May 12, 2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Dave Sherby ]

--------------------
Dave Sherby
"Sandman"
SherWood Sign & Graphic Design
Crystal Falls, MI 49920
906-875-6201
sherwoodsign@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 5400 | From: Crystal Falls, MI USA | Registered: Apr 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both but think the 2nd is read much more easily. Good work!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!