Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Summerhouse Sign

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summerhouse Sign
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summerhouse
I did two of these, installed as a marquis on the front of their new building.
Not only fun but I made a little money...woohoo!
Geez, pic's huge! Let me try to reduce it some
Use the link, and can anyone tell me why the pic doubled in size from my site to here?

[ April 20, 2002, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Bill Dirkes ]

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.
Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice work indeed Bill.

Pic was nice n big alright.

RobC

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work, good layout and color combo......Did you use urethane for the raised areas ????

Check the size of your pic......it was probably too large .
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------
" Those who dance are thought to be mad by those who cannot hear the music "

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The background panels are 1/4" alumalite, and the raised areas are layers of 1" HDU.
Shep,
As for size I reduced the size on the web site and it continues to be HUGE here. I Dunno.

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.

Posts: 591 | From: Bellevue,Ky. US | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suelynn Sedor
Visitor
Member # 442

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Suelynn Sedor   Email Suelynn Sedor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Love it!!

Suelynn

--------------------
"It is never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot

Suelynn Sedor
Sedor Signs
Carnduff, SK Canada

Posts: 2863 | From: Carnduff, SK Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Yearwood
Visitor
Member # 2723

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Yearwood   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Yearwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Nice!!!! Great quality and workmanship.

Mark

--------------------
Mark Yearwood
Yearwood Design Works
Tecumseh, OK
www.yearwooddesignworks.com
www.markyearwood.com

Posts: 1027 | From: Tecumseh, OK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arvil Shep' Shepherd   Author's Homepage   Email Arvil Shep' Shepherd       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill
I had this happen to me a few weeks back.....(But I notice your photos are actually not on the BB.)
Mine was....and then in a couple of days it cleared itself up......and it was the right size...."BB Gremlins ??????"
Regardless your work looks great.
Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Posts: 1281 | From: Mt Airy NC | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Crothers
Visitor
Member # 2888

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Brian Crothers   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Crothers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill; nice warm friendly look to the sign!
The raised areas work out very well.

Can you please tell us how the yellow letters "Summerhouse" are done? Material? CNC Router?
Thank you.

--------------------
Brian Crothers
CR Signs
1790 C Tamarac St.
Campbell River B.C. V9W 3M6
briancrothers@crsigns.ca

Posts: 82 | From: Campbell River B.C. Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Deceased

Member # 2030

Thought I would give it a try.......this has been reduced quite a bit..

Now we can see it all at once.....Looks even better at this size.
Great work,Bill.

Shep'

--------------------
Arvil Shep' Shepherd
Art by Shep'
--------

Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shep
Seems like every time I try this pic posting thing sumbody's gotta lend me a hand. I appreciate it!!
Brian,
As I said above, the raised portions are 2 layers of 1" HDU. the first laver is mostly black with the logo sun/house painted with OneShot, the script is from SignDNA and is cut out with a jig saw and shaped with a dremel tool and rasps/files.
The final sanding was done with 320 grit sand paper( I relly shoulda gone one more time with the 600 grit)
The background panel is 1/4" aluma lite blended(twice) with process blue to a 50/50 mix of reflex & Brilliant blue. I mixed three intermediate blues to make the blend. It is more pronounced in reality. Photo didn't really pick it up.
Every thing is hand painted and double coated.

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.

Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Dirkes   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Dirkes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is how it turned out installed. Built the 2x2 steel frame in the shop, dismantled it and reassembled on location.
I give up, dam thing is still huge!!
If ya promise not to make fun of the web site ya can click on the homepage icon and go to photo page 4
There you will see the installed signs the size of a postage stamp
Ah gots no payshense with this web stuff

[ April 20, 2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Bill Dirkes ]

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.

Robb Lowe
Visitor
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb Lowe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good and I like the pictures big! I like to see the details, makes for a better inspiration piece and stops me from asking 50 questions on here.
?

--------------------
Robb Lowe

Posts: 370 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheryl nordby
Visitor
Member # 1100

Icon 16 posted      Profile for cheryl nordby         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As always Great work Bill! [Smile]
Posts: 3729 | From: Seattle | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Barker
Resident

Member # 174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Barker   Author's Homepage   Email Henry Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Bill,

Nice job you've made there. I don't know what Alumalite is exactly, maybe its like Dibond??

I make alot of aluminium signs, and it fun to see another dimension...so to speak. thanks for sharing it with us.

--------------------
Henry Barker #1924akaKaftan
SignCraft AB
Stockholm,
Sweden.
A little bit of England in a corner of Stockholm www.signcraft.se www.facebook.com/signcraftsweden

Posts: 1552 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful dimensional job ... real nice blend too!

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Shortreed
Deceased Mayor

Member # 436

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Steve Shortreed   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Shortreed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job Bill!

Here's a few tips on saving your photos for the web, and the BB in particular.

1. If your image is a photograph with more than 240 colors, save it as a .jpg. If it is artwork with only a few colors, a .gif is the way to go.

2. Save your image at 72dpi. Any higher resolution just isn't needed for a monitor.

3. Keep your image under 600 pixels in width. Somewhere between 500-600 is perfect.

4. If using a jpg, always compress it before saving it for the web. I usually save my images at 75% their original file size. You'll be amazed how much your file size is reduced without any loss of quality. It will load faster and reduce bandwidth use at our end.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Steve Shortreed
144 Hill St., E.
Fergus, Ontario
Canada N1M 1G9
519-787-2673

steve@letterville.com

www.letterville.com/profiles/shortreed/

Posts: 3710 | From: Fergus, Ontario, Canada | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Bill, I posted a similar reply to Henrys post just wondering what type of saw you use to cut out our letters both yours and Henrys signs look great the letters look computer cut just want to know how you do it?

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Posts: 222 | From: Grampian, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Dirkes
Visitor
Member # 1000

Richard,
I use a Craftsman Jig Saw, one of the models with a guide to help keep the blade straight.
A cabinet manufacturer a few miles from the shop has a 5x10 cnc router, haven't sent any work to them...yet!

--------------------
Bill Dirkes
Cornhole Art LLC
Bellevue, Ky.

Mark Fair Signs
Visitor
Member # 289

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mark Fair Signs   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Fair Signs       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very nice work bill!!

--------------------
Mark Fair Signs
2162 Mt. Meigs Road
Montgomery, Alabama 36107

Posts: 5702 | From: Montgomery, Alabama | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Doyle
Visitor
Member # 2919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard Doyle   Email Richard Doyle       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanx Bill
now im inspired I always thought i needed a cnc router to do this type of work you just save me a bundle

--------------------
Rich Doyle
Doyle Sign
Grampian, PA
814-583-5451

Posts: 222 | From: Grampian, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Linda Silver Eagle
Visitor
Member # 274

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda Silver Eagle   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Silver Eagle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill,

Beautiful craftmanship! I love the life you created in this one! Always a pleasure to see your work!

--------------------
Linda Welborn
Aigle D'Argent

678-292-3102

http://www.precious101.com

Posts: 2501 | From: GA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy Brown
Visitor
Member # 1963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Amy Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love it! Really like the colors. Nice job!

--------------------
Amy Brown
Life Skills 101
Private Address

Posts: 3502 | From: Lake Helen, FL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!