Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » The Portfolio Table » Inuit Company Logo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Inuit Company Logo
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a logo in the process of design. The client came up with the concept and I'm taking it from there.

Any comments / suggestion.......have at err.

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Pendragon Signs & Graphics
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

if it's not one thing.....it's two things

Posts: 261 | From: Yellowknife, NT, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Clark
Visitor
Member # 787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob Clark   Email Rob Clark       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one John. I like it, it's tight yet simple and strong.

The "Rig"? could be a little better defined perhaps, because without any other info we are having to guess what they are all about...........Drilling? (or are they Eskimos catching fish?) If it's drilling then perhaps the fisherman could be a little less defined to keep the emphasis on the Rig.

Make any sense?

Robc

--------------------
Rob Clark
Rob Clark Design
11 Lassig st
Moore Park Queensland Australia

Posts: 421 | From: Australia | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Rob. I knew exactly what all the elements are, but I doubt if everyone would. I would try to give more definition to the rig itself and the flare burning needs some realism, but keep it in the middleground. There is a roaring sound associated with a burning flare. I'd try to bring the call letters a little more into the foreground and add some perspective.

[ April 09, 2002, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Promotion Graphics & Letters
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Aston
Visitor
Member # 1725

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jon Aston   Email Jon Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool as is...maybe this is an opportunity to put these to to good use(?).

--------------------
Jon Aston
MARKETING PARTNERS
"Strategy, Marketing and Business Development"
Tel 705-719-9209

Posts: 1724 | From: Barrie, ON, CANADA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 14 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob

Thanks for your input, glad you like the design……………..My client’s company is neither in the drilling or seal hunting business. They provide support in the oil field though…………trucks & loaders. The client isn’t really trying to be literal about what services they provide. They wanted to illustrate the transition of there lively-hood source from………seal oil…….to crude oil. Sort of a nostalgic approach. The old ways & the new. I’m sure you are all too familiar with similar issues in Australia and it’s aboriginals. One other important point…………if you are a southern oil company looking to do business in Canada’s Arctic………….you have to go through the Inuit companies. So this logo suggests that they are an Inuit company in the oil field business.

Santo

Like your suggestions............I just wish I had more time & skill to develop such work.

Jon

I often use Syllabics for Government Project signs. As a matter fact I just won a bid for one. It requires four languages.............You see, we have 8 official languages here in the Northwest Territories………can be a real pain too, but I'm not complaining, there's good money in them.

By the way Jon………..saw your people in Vancouver…………….Valerie was very helpful, well worth the visit.

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Posts: 261 | From: Yellowknife, NT, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Martin Robson   Email John Martin Robson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

update.........this kind of goes along with what Santo was suggesting, I think.....a bit more depth.

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santo   Email Santo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really, but I like it!!! You brought the flare alive.

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Spring, TX

Posts: 2501 | From: Spring, TX USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janette Balogh
Resident

Member # 192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janette Balogh   Author's Homepage   Email Janette Balogh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more intriqued by the top one with the minimal details. I'd nix the eskimo (?) on the right as I feel it diminishes the drama of the left. Like two different styles happening that compete rather than flow with each other.
I liked the word KILA better as it was in the first draft, ... open a smidget more air between "I" & "L".

When you add the extra black on the bottom for the sub-text, ... downsize that text within it so it doesn't lose the effectiveness created by the blackness on the entire thing.

I have tons of ideas for this one ... but difficult to convey in words. But as previously noted, the first draft comes closer to my vision on this than the second one.

Janette

--------------------
"When Love and Skill Work Together ... Expect a Masterpiece"

Janette Balogh
Creative Studio

janette@janettebalogh.com
www.janettebalogh.com

Posts: 5092 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Androsky
Visitor
Member # 2806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonathan Androsky   Email Jonathan Androsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn, this is a toughy. I'm thinking that I like the "KILA" from the first one a bit better, something about primary text in the second one sits kinda funny. Good solid layouts both, though.

--------------------
Jon Androsky

Posts: 438 | From: Williamsport, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santo
Visitor
Member # 411

The hill the rig is on presents a natural perspective running back to the horizon. A perspective added by the text would do the same from the opposite side. With the sun dropped a little lower, and the all black text and the rig spread some more that horizon would be visible. Let the mast of the rig project slightly above the sun. The Eskimo's shadow would be as long as a freight train and away from the hole he is hunting at, which would be correct, but I don't think I could pull it off.

[ April 11, 2002, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Santo ]

--------------------
Santo Brocato
Spring, TX

John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

I agree, the Inuit hunter & the oil rig, are competing………..There’s no way the client will ax the Inuit hunter. Just not sure how to tie them all in. Other than that, I’m pretty happy with either……….just some minor tweaking.

BTW……….Eskimo is very passe, quite derogatory in this day and age. “Eskimo” is an English bastardization of a Indian (DENE) word meaning “Eater of raw meat”. The “Eskimo” refer to themselves as Inuit……..basically meaning “MAN”

Good comments folks.......thank you

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Terry Whynott
Resident

Member # 1622

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Terry Whynott   Email Terry Whynott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,

I like the Inuit hunter. It may compete with the oil rig but I also think it adds alot of character to the logo. I like the second version, but like Nettie said, maybe open up some space between the L and the I. I usually like nice tight kerning but they might be too close. Also what about putting the Enterprise Ltd. etc. into two lines (a little smaller) extend the black panel even further down and centering it below KILA rather than starting it off to the left.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Terry Whynott
Walkerton, Ontario

Posts: 1230 | From: Walkerton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen Deveau
Visitor
Member # 1305

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Stephen Deveau         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John

You are going to hate me for this..

But you are stuck in a rut with the "One Design!"

Give it some flare with (Colour and Style of Lettering.)

Black & Umber Yellow? It's not working....

To myself the true North would have "Blue as true as the pureness of the Snow or Ice!"

Golden as the (Early Morning Sun!)

Get the Eskimo on the ground hunting with the Oil Rig in the Background.
Your Lettering Style is to Plain..

Walk through your Fonts and look for something that grabs your eye!

Sorry to make you mad but this doesn't work for me!

You have all rights to yell back as it is not my Customer!
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Stephen Deveau
RavenGraphics
Insinx Digital Displays

Letting Your Imagination Run Wild!

Posts: 4327 | From: Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Davis
Visitor
Member # 1408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, I have looked at this a lot and feel Nettie is correct. I would however keep the eskimo. Just differently kool. I would redo a freeform oil rig to somewhere between the first and second attempts. The first one needs much more detail and the second one is way to boxie and drawn. The simpleness and cleaness of the top design will prevail with a redraw of the rig. I really like it other than this. Jack

--------------------
"Don't change horses in midstream, unless you spot one with longer legs" bronzeo oti
Jack Davis
1410 Main St
Joplin, MO 64801
www.imagemakerart.com
jack@imagemakerart.com

Posts: 1549 | From: Joplin, MO | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donna in BC
Resident

Member # 130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna in BC   Author's Homepage   Email Donna in BC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the look. For some easy suggested tweeking...

- tower #2 on logo #1.

Now, working with logo #1;

- separate the I and L abit more, as well as space between the L and A.
- abit heavier black along bottom but not as much as #2. I like how the heavier bottom gives the logo more strength
- secondary text alot less significant

I am one of those that didn't have a clue what this logo represented. Upon reading more, it made sence. I trust those in this industry will be the ones to impress more than the average 'joe' (sorry OP LOL) on the street like myself?

--------------------
Donna Williams
Funky Junk Interiors
Yarrow, BC Canada
donna@funkyjunkinteriors.net

~ Check out the newest junk at ~ http://funkyjunkinteriors.net/

Posts: 5630 | From: Yarrow, BC Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Martin Robson
Visitor
Member # 1686

Here is what we finally went with.

Thanks for all your comments/suggestions.

BTW....guess I should have renamed this pic file
cause its the same as the top one now.

--------------------
John Martin Robson
Yellowknife,NT,Canada

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!