Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » How do we pass on the trade?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do we pass on the trade?
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With a plotter/cutter in the shop and access to 365 for printing, there is only a portion of the lettering being hand lettered these days.

I've wanted to have another apprentice, but I could not teach the traditional sign painting that was taught to me because of the changing tools and world.

How can someone today learn even the fundamentals?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7089 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fear that there are no sign painters no mo. Just machine operators. Not just how its done, but why. Everything on a semi now is a wrap. No letters or numbers...just a wrap. That's all they ask for.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 313 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm not sure I was very clear in the previous post. My customers only ask for wraps. They do not even get that there is a thing as brush work letters and numbers. Not much incentive to train for it if nobody knows it exists.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 313 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with Gerald on the above post.

As for Rick's original query about learning fundamentals, I had some old speedball pens (some which I still have) and just played around constructing letters coping magazine ads headlines. I am sure my work was very crude but it gave me the opportunity to study letterforms.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 653 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to do a wrap. I'd like to learn, but after that, I don't think that's a direction I'd want to go.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7089 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've mentored a couple high school students in my shop before. We've also done some site work painting murals. Good old pounce pattern stuff.

The things in the shop we did, were everything from epoxying blanks, to priming, painting, more pounce and pattern work, lots of brush work, glazes and surface gilding.

A lot of customers that visit the shop joke that they would like to learn this type of work, or they wish they could do it.

We have often thought of having workshops to cover all phases of traditional dimensional sign work.

I agree, there is a great importance to pass this information, and skill on to others, or towns will someday lack the creative work that sign makers such as us, bring to life daily in our shops.

All things being equal from town to town, it is the creative signs within a town, that make that community stand out from the rest.

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1979 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin W. Betz
Resident

Member # 4133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin W. Betz   Email Kevin W. Betz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Bob

--------------------
Kevin Betz
KB Sign Company
21321 Ulrich
Clinton Township, MI 48036
kbsigncompany@att.net

Posts: 250 | From: Detroit, MI | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did workshops for more than fifteen years to pas on as much as we could. Hundreds of wonderful people from around the world came and learned. Although I no longer host workshops some of those who attended are now teaching workshops of their own and are passing that knowledge to others.

We continue to teach our great employees all aspects of the business and hopefully they will be able to use the learned skills long after I am gone.

-Dan

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8788 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!