Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Pricing Ratio

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pricing Ratio
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started in a sign shop and I'd watch the old shop owner price a sign I often inquired how he did it. Turns out that after years in business he could look at his numbers and deduce things like materials cost him 25% of the total of the sign. So when someone wanted a 4x8 he knew the price of a sheet of masonite and the paint and could quickly say $80. If the job required shades and outlines he's say $90. I wish it was that simple today, but the concept remains, that at the end of a year, we can compare the trends with past years and see where we're going and decide if that's where we want to go.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7056 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished a 4x6 for a construction project. All vinyl, just the whereas and henceforth legalese and a picture of the planned project. I would expect that kind of sign to bring 500.00.
I had to poll three distributors to find the right substrate. I used a lot of black vinyl. Then they tell me it has to be done in four days because of construction beginning and the city says the sign needs to be up before.
So I got it done and charged 700.00. They seemed happy to pay it.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 296 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing against you Gerald, but I still long for the old days. Will never see them again, sadly.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 647 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curt, I assume you're referring to the times when we'd just make a quick sketch on a paper napkin and transfer the idea with a charcoal stick to the sign panel and letter it? I miss those days too. We all do. I like it best without the computer. I do the computer to retain the patterns though. It's been many years since I've pulled out one of my old rolled up patterns. Someday that space might be occupied by something else. Also the space where all the old sign magazines are.Times have changed.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7056 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curt Stenz
Visitor
Member # 82

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt Stenz   Email Curt Stenz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick, we are on the samp page. I made many patterns with my plotter. I saved some but just kept the files. Seemed as though jobs for the same customer always had a tweak.
My pattern storage was a shelf 16' by 4' rack above my board. Had them in alphabetical order with index cards in a file, very impressive for an unorganized individual. One day I realized I had not really used one of those patterns for years, some 20 years! I admitted that vinyl had become the norm, sadly.
I did look at each one and some brought tears to my eyes knowing those days were past, businesses changed ownership and other one off truck door etc. owners had passed away.

--------------------
Curt Stenz Graphics
Dunlap, Tennessee

Posts: 647 | From: Dunlap, Tennessee | Registered: Dec 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

I go through some patterns and find they bring up stories and emotions and some tears also. They each have more content in me than old photos.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I placed the vinyl lettering groups on that sign, I remember that when I started there wasn't and masking tape that pulled up clean against one shot and I resorted to Scotch Library tape in the green box. It was a clear body with a removable adhesive, only one I found to work. I wouldn't have guessed that the lettering in the future would be the same stuff.
Oh, and wood boards...how I miss the smell of sawdust in the morning, don't you guys??

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 296 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck Peterson
Visitor
Member # 70

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chuck Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Chuck Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently found an old photo of a wall job I did in the early 80's. I'm amazed at how hard I worked! Moving ladders, scaffolds, up and down ladders. It was all just another day's work. I don't even remember how I priced them. I had the Signwriter's price book as a rough guide. I often felt I wasn't charging enough, other times I felt I was doing well and happy to be getting paid for doing something I enjoyed that most people can't relate to. I've always paid my bills and had some left over. I still make signs but it's a lot different these days.

--------------------
Chuck Peterson Designs
San Diego, CA

Posts: 1119 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!