Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Different mindsets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Different mindsets
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long ago, there were some folks assembling that had a common passion for lettering signs. This grew into what was known as LETTERHEADS. There were several sub groups with more specialized interest also. There was a group studying showcards that were adhering to teachings from Mike Stevens. Groups wanting to do wall signs...WALL DOGS. There were groups just doing gold work on glass. Well yesterday in a conversation my wife asked if there were any of those groups with those enamored with doing vehicle wraps. WRAPPERS????

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7052 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gerald Barlow
Visitor
Member # 3477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerald Barlow   Author's Homepage   Email Gerald Barlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Rick. Seems like wrapping is a skill but I think it falls short of Art. There is no design in the application, just efficient positioning of the film. I think the workers past history of working at Burger King or Mickey D's might have a qualifier there too.
I should mention that I don't wrapp. I do lay some large vinyl on my work at times, but I wouldn't call it wrapping.
Hey, don't think I downplay the skill it takes to lay vinyl on non-flat surfaces well...I can't do it.
But then I don't want to do it.

--------------------
Gerald Barlow
Artworx
Turlock, CA

artworx@bigvalley.net

Posts: 294 | From: Turlock, CA 95380, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry [Frown] Somehow this double posted.

[ January 07, 2024, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Ken Henry ]

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2722 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken Henry
Visitor
Member # 598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken Henry   Email Ken Henry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to agree with Gerald. Wrapping is a skill unto itself, and a proficient wrapper can really make the overall job presentation shine. Someone not so skilled can take a well designed graphic, and make the application suffer by alignment being off, or bubbles or wrinkles showing. Also, if a shop is intent on selling full vehicle wraps, there must be the space and proper lighting to do so. Not something to be attempted in a cramped, poorly lit or heated environment. A clean vehicle is a must, so washing & preparation has to be readily available. Sounds to be very capital intensive and would involve a substantial cash outlay for the training and specialized tools/shop space. Not something I'd be interested in investing in, at this stage of my life.

--------------------
Ken Henry
Henry & Henry Signs
London, Ontario Canada
(519) 439-1881
e-mail: kjmlhenry@rogers.com

Why do I get all those on-line offers to sell me Viagara, when the only thing hardening is my arteries ?

Posts: 2722 | From: London,Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess "The Wrappers" might do some verbal rapping if they were together at a trade show. And what about the removal process? That's another big mess, never know how the job will go till you get halfway into it. Be tough to price out unless you have removed many types of wrapped vehicles etc.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4114 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never done a wrap, nor do I ever want to. I was just thinking of the humor in groups having a weekend conference and staying in hotels, sharing meals, having demonstrations and training lectures, and regularly calling each other to talk about what they're learning and struggling with. Imagine a group of wrappers just calling each other to offer encouragement and visiting each other when they travel?

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7052 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!