Phone: 519-787-2892
Fax: 519-787-2673
Email: barb@letterville.com

Copyright ©1995-2008
The Letterhead Website

The Letterville BullBoard Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | calendar | im | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Letterville BullBoard » Letterhead/Pinstriper Talk » Still around and keeping busy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still around and keeping busy
Dan Sawatzky
Resident

Member # 88

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Dan Sawatzky   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Sawatzky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long while since I poked in here. Sad to see some long time friends are now gone.

I got a second chance at life this year and am truly grateful. I went in for a routine heart stress test at the end of March and came out of the hospital twenty-seven days later after an open heart operation and a six bypass. It was a shocker for us as we had no idea there were problems. Thankfully, recovery was quick and I was back up to full speed in less than three months.

We continue to keep busy, with son Peter now the owner of Imagination Corporation for the last six years. I have no intention of retiring as I am having too much fun each day. Business is incredibly good with amazing projects and clients already lined up for most of next year. I love working with my kids and the grand kids are also around almost every day.

We have four wonderful and talented employees who help us with our projects.

These days I do most of the design work and the required travel to visit customers across Canada and the USA, consult and oversee installations. That involves up to a dozen short trips each year which I thoroughly enjoy. I also help out with the fabrication in the shop as I can. I still love to get my hands dirty whenever I can.

Janis & I are still thoroughly enjoying life together and will be celebrating our fiftieth anniversary this coming June.

Life is good!

--------------------
Dan Sawatzky
Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia
dan@imaginationcorporation.com
http://www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is one of the the most wonderful things in the world!!!

Posts: 8783 | From: Yarrow, B.C. Canada | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatRaap
Resident

Member # 4290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatRaap   Author's Homepage   Email PatRaap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you are recovered and enjoying life. We never know what our tomorrow might bring, so enjoy life everyday.

--------------------
Patricia A. Raap
Raap Signs
2615 Arthur
Coopersville, MI 49404
616-677-0158
pat@raapsigns.com

Posts: 652 | From: Coopersville, MI 49404 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dan, good to hear from you.

There are a few of us still kicking around here.

Same same, we're keeping busy with fun projects, and doing some traveling when we can.

The autumn leaves are pretty much past peak color, so it's time to switch the camera lens to other interests,

We are up to 5 grandkids and they are a blast!

Life keeps moving on.

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------
"The 3-4 minute mark of "Freewill" by Rush.

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1969 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still doing it too. It seems like an exercise to keep it fun sometimes though. The creativity I once knew has turned more into just doing variations of the past. I find delight playing with my lathe and making fun things from found and discarded wood scraps. It's been many years since my open heart surgery and our fiftieth anniversary. I find most of the joy in pleasing customers that have interesting challenges. I'm liking the jobs that can be done in a month, rather than three months or three hours. We work four hours a day in the shop now and prefer vacations to be at home. Should your travels ever get you our way, we'd love a visit. I still have a couple of your squiggly line brushes. Hey, I typed this and it sounds rather depressing, but we're still happy and on top of our game.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7065 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Donny Pavolini
Visitor
Member # 2244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donny Pavolini   Author's Homepage   Email Donny Pavolini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dan!

Glad you are ok and continuing to inspire!

Really like your work buddy!

--------------------
Donny Pavolini
Dunaway Signs
Biloxi, MS

Posts: 68 | From: Biloxi, MS | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DianeBalch
Resident

Member # 1301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DianeBalch   Author's Homepage   Email DianeBalch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are very semi retired. I haven’t made a carved sign in 3 years. I mainly provide vinyl lettering and decals to a school bus distributor and canoe manufacturer, and laser engrave plastic tags for another sign shop. I have as much/little work as I want. Ernie bought a sawmill last fall. We have 30 acres of spruce/pine trees that Ernie, his Dad and Greandpa planted in the early 60’s (60,000).
There are a lot of dead ones standing and on the ground. We have made a bunch of boards and made 7 park benches and some picnic tables. We are not going to sell the boards (not the best quality). Anybody that helps us mill the wood can have what they want. It is better than a gym membership. Great way to get our outdoor fix and Vit D exposure. Ernie is having some health issues. I had rotator cuff surgery earlier this year. We are both happy and having fun. February 2024 will
be our 48th anniversary.

--------------------
Balch Signs
1045 Raymond Rd
Malta, NY 12020
518 885-9899
signs@balchsigns.com
http://www.balchsigns.com

Posts: 1747 | From: MaltaNY | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J & N Signs
Resident

Member # 901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J & N Signs   Email J & N Signs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still around too! Smaller jobs but keeping busy.

--------------------
Mario G. Lafreniere (Fergie)
J&N Signs
Winter did show up!

Posts: 1258 | From: Chapleau, Ontario | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Clanton
Resident

Member # 2419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Clanton   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Clanton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago, your name popped up in my head while having a conversation with a friend- I went on web hunt for photos of your house and your creative projects- it was a fun trip down memory lane- it was good to see some of your new stuff too. Glad you are doing well

--------------------
Michael Clanton
Clanton Graphics/ Blackberry 19 Studio
1933 Blackberry
Conway AR 72034
501-505-6794
clantongraphics@yahoo.com

Posts: 1743 | From: Conway Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Sacks
Resident

Member # 379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Sacks   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Sacks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, we recently had a visit from a couple of your countrymen, Kelly Thorsen and her husband Jim. We met Kelley working on your mural in Lodi. From our house they went to Lodi and saw the murals again. By now they're in Mexico.

--------------------
The SignShop
Mendocino, California

http://www.mendosign.com

Making the simple complicated is commonplace;
making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. — Charles Mingus

Posts: 7065 | From: Mendocino, CA. USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alicia B. Jennings
Resident

Member # 1272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alicia B. Jennings   Author's Homepage   Email Alicia B. Jennings   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ya doing Dan? Glad to hear you are doing good. Any type of "Body Work" is anyways dangerous. I'm still here doing my thing and here is the proof,,, https://youtu.be/w4nO3YQxQ3U?si=3gD9a_WNsQnPCCrQ Maybe one day I might drive up to pay you all a visit.

--------------------
Signs by Alicia Jennings (Mudflap Girl)
Tacoma, WA
Since 1987
Have Lipstick, will travel.

Posts: 4118 | From: Tacoma, WA. U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian Stewart-Koster
Resident

Member # 3500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian Stewart-Koster   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Stewart-Koster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Magoo has just left the building...
it's great to see you well, Dan.
You're still a tremendous inspiration to many of us: thanks a lot!

--------------------
"Stewey" on chat

"...there are no limits when you aim for perfection..." Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Posts: 7034 | From: Highgrove via Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still kicking... and working... but not as hard as I used to. Collecting Social Security makes a difference. Sophie and I have been spending quite a bit of time in a public ministry activity.

I've also been section hiking the Appalachian Trail with some friends. We get together a couple times a year and hike 100-150 miles at a time and have made it from Georgia to northern Rocksylvania. Maybe I'll get to Katahdin before I'm 80! Some other friends and I plan an extended Grand Canyon hike in late spring.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5140 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Kaschak   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Kaschak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dave, long time no see.

If you find your way near the Adirondacks, stop on by!

Peace,
Bob

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Posts: 1969 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Harding
Resident

Member # 108

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Harding   Author's Homepage   Email David Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob, sorry I didn't check the BB sooner. I'd love to visit you. I enjoyed all our jet engine discussions at Sawatzky's. "Wiggly" won't work on turbines, but I'm sure Dan's got a wiggly jet on one of his projects! If I get to the 'Daks, I'll do so.

--------------------
David Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX

Posts: 5140 | From: Carrollton, TX, USA | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Kaschak
Resident

Member # 3146

Dave, we just sat in the path of totality for the eclipse. I got some great shots of the eclipse as a series of photos. We had the telescope out, the grandkids were here and it was a great time. Hopefully you had a view of it in your neck of the woods.

Peace,
Bob

www.artisansignanddesign.com

--------------------

Bob Kaschak
Artisan Sign And Design
Peru New York

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Letterville. A Community Of Letterheads & Pinheads!